Ford Inside News banner

Ford "Maverick" (baby Bronco) LEAKS

44K views 120 replies 27 participants last post by  Harry_Wild 
#1 ·
See less See more
Reactions: scford58
#11 ·
If that is real and not just a concept, those are seriously badass approach and departure angles on that Baby Bronc. As long as it has a 2-spd transfer case, it could be the real deal for people seeking a smaller adventure SUV, who don't want to blow $40-50k on a Wrangler Unlimited.

#13 · (Edited)
Maverick or Puma, which recycled name will the baby Bronco use.

FORD appears to be preparing to resurrect the Puma badge, lodging a fresh global trademark application under that name for a future model that conceivably could be the upcoming compact SUV dubbed – in the absence of any official name – the Baby Bronco.
Lodged on October 26 by Ford Motor Company’s head office in Dearborn, Michigan, the trademark application specifically mentions “four-wheel drive vehicles and sports utility vehicles”.
Some American pundits have speculated that the Baby Bronco might be called Maverick, as that name has been trademarked in the US.

Maverick was used by Ford in Australia for re-badged Nissan GQ Patrols in the 1980s and 1990s.

However, the original 1984 trademark for Maverick in Australia has been withdrawn by Ford and not renewed, making it unlikely that the name will be used globally any time soon.
- https://www.goauto.com.au/news/ford/ford-goes-for-puma-ndash-again/2018-11-16/76492.html

Looks like the baby Bronco could be called Puma in Australia.

#14 ·
What about Bronco II

Reactions: SP1966
#23 ·
Come on guys, custom modified Mavericks to prove a point? Hehehe.
Ok, ok….maybe I was a bit harsh, but I was never a fan and the name also reminds me of the Pinto era, which was right after one of the greatest eras ever from Ford. So I am a bit biased. Not exactly a huge following of treasured memories. We all have fond memories, heck maybe if you got laid in a Maverick, it conjures up warm thoughts. But for the record, this is the car I recall seeing a lot of, and I just don't see how it would help sell rather than Bronco II

#25 ·
I too owned a Bronco II, and I loved it. It was fun, sized perfect, great off road and actually very nimble to drive with its small wheel base. Awesome utility too, and I worked out of the back of it with the seats down and a large custom built plywood flooring with compartments and such. I towed my first fishing boat with it and it pulled it easily. It never once felt unsafe to me either. I did put slightly larger tires on it, not quite as big as the pic below, but they were popular off-roaders back in the day.

#26 ·
I too owned a Bronco II, and I loved it. It was fun, sized perfect, great off road and actually very nimble to drive with its small wheel base. Awesome utility too, and I worked out of the back of it with the seats down and a large custom built plywood flooring with compartments and such. I towed my first fishing boat with it and it pulled it easily. It never once felt unsafe to me either.

I see why you like the name, because you had one.
Will Ford use a model name that contains "Bronco" on a Focus-based crossover SUV?

#28 · (Edited)
I wonder if the majority of current buyers even remembers the old Maverick and how bad/good it was. Ford insiders and car nuts, yes; baby boomer's kids and grandkids, no.

It also seems to me that naming two different models with the same name is not good marketing in the 21st century. Mustang II didn't go over well. OK, that car didn't sell concurrently with the Mustang; it was just bad product.

IMO, the "baby Bronco" would be better off carving its own niche. If it is a fabulous product with great performance and looks, the name Maverick shouldn't hold it back. The name Maverick is also a better fit for an off-roader ute than it was for that small coupe of yesteryear.

#31 · (Edited)
How would you guys feel if Ford decided to name the upcoming baby Bronco "Escape"?

Based on its profile, the baby Bronco actually has a lot more in common with the pre-Kuga Escapes, particularly the more angular gen 2 Escape.

Use the "Escape" name on the baby Bronco and use the "Maverick" name on the upcoming sleeker more car-like model (below) instead. Hmmm.....

The more I think about it... it doesn't sound too crazy.

Attachments

#32 ·
How would you guys feel if Ford decided to name the upcoming baby Bronco "Escape

No, The current generation of Escape weakened the name too much.

Maverick for the smaller Bronco, and I'd even consider renaming the Escape replacement.

Reactions: SP1966
#35 ·
The resemblance IS the boxy/truckish profile.

If the "Kuga" Escape never existed, yes. At this point, no. Leave Escape with that look.

#38 ·
Maverick is a name that europeans remember. It was the name of a SUV exclusively builded for Europe, and after that, the name of the 1st gen Escape in Europe.

So, the europeans will made the connection between the 1st Maverick (1st gen Escape) and the new one.

#39 ·
...meh. Their biggest CUV market is here. The Maverick name hasn’t been around for decades, here, and the name itself harkens to the rough individualistic nature of Americans and rooted in the Southwestern US. (Maverick was the last name of a rancher who refused to brand his cattle). It has a lot more weight and meaning here than there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.