Mach I BEV Reveal Date

41K views 84 replies 18 participants last post by  wingsnut 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 ·
#6 ·
Alleged CAD leak:

Reactions: Rick Astley
#7 ·
That's pretty much it. It incorporates the silhouette perfectly. The front end is identical to the images Ford shared. The rear 3-bar light treatment from Mustang is well showcased. It has sort of a new Puma stance, where it's SUVish height is hidden.

When Ford first showed a clay model of this to employees, I did not like it. This is much improved from what that looked like, and it is really beginning to grow on me.

At first I did not like the 'Mustang' look, but now I think it was brilliant. This would not look as good as an Explorer face, or the like

#12 ·
Ford will certainly offer high trim models easily eclipsing $65K, but my thinking is that they will have an entry point for marketing reasons around $49,995 or something like that.

We shall see, hopefully on November 17.
But I think how well Ford does with their F150 will really be interesting. I have no idea where pricing will fall for that. But the way brass talks about it, they want it to simply fit into all their other truck strategies, depending on what you need. It will be billed as just another option. Which makes sense. Not much margin in an all new exclusive platform, just to get a bit more range. Trucks will have massive batteries and plenty of electric power to get work done.

#22 ·
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a29685118/ford-idris-elba-electric-crossover/

- Ford is teaming up with British actor Idris Elba to promote the upcoming Mustang-inspired all-electric crossover .
- This new model is likely to use the Mach E name and it will be fully unveiled at the Los Angeles auto show on November 17.
- We expect it to start at around $40,000 and be available next year.

#24 ·
^

So the Mach E will no doubt be a media darling in a few days when announced, with it's eye popping range and price point, wrapped in a very functional size and space for said price, and no doubt a much more user friendly and attractive interior (Tesla sucks in both departments). Features and tech, including OTA updates, will also impress. But what will REALLY impress, is Ford's announcement that every BEV they sell.....wait for it.......will generate a profit. Ford has an ocean of manufacturing experience to Tesla's pond, and Ford even made BEV's long before Tesla. So no worries there.

What Ford will be watching carefully, is how sales go.
Regardless of volumes, Ford has plenty of profit generating options with ICE and hybrids to lean on. Tesla has ZERO profit generating options. And with Ford's emphasis on ONLY high margin products, as it sheds it's near zero profit machines.....that much more so.

Also too, from what I am learning about F150 BEV, and Ford's entire BEV approach, I would say Ford is hardly just trying to match Tesla. Tesla won't even be on their radar any more.

#25 ·
...Tesla has people lined up to buy them. Ford remains to be seen. But Tesla Mod Y are out on the streets everywhere testing and they actually look pretty good; they’re obviously much larger than the Mod 3 and will probably be available much earlier than the Mach.

Tesla is going to use up a lot of CUV EV oxygen in the room before the Mach ships, so it will take some real effort on Ford’s part. But given the marketing so far, they look up to the task. No half-assing so far.

Attachments

#26 ·
Horses for courses.

Tesla people will always buy the Tesla.

We’ve practically seen the Mach’s design and if in the flesh/metal/plastic it does in fact hit the mark then all the bells and whistles mean very little. It comes down to design, road presence, desirability. It’s not the iconic Mustang, but it can be just as desirable.

If in addition to the potentially gorgeous looks it has ~4s acceleration then I’d need to be a Tesla zealot not to buy it.

Yes, when committing to buy a car off the showroom floor value is definitely sort after, but for this segment there’s a whole more to it than value. The buying experience here has a heavier emotive bias; how much a person feels good owning said machine.

Good on Hackett for putting a hatchet in the initial Mach design.

#43 ·
It reportedly has e-latch handles like Aviator/Conti.

#39 ·
Pictures with a telephoto lens from such a distance certainly are never going to do it any favors, the front looks ok but the back will probably all depend on how well the lights are integrated, as that will make or break it in the looks department for me. Still at least when you are driving it you can't see the back if if turns out to not be a looker. Ford had already designed the perfect looking concept to turn into an electric vehicle years ago with the evos concept, could have easily turned that into a two door with a lift back hatch without diluting the shape, still not that long till the 17th to see the finished article.

#46 ·
...sounds like some great marketing. Are they planning on not balancing the wheels so you can get a good sense of driving an old ICE car? Or, maybe they’ll add in an artificial delay for all the drivetrain inputs. You can punch it, it will delay a bit, play some sounds through the speakers like it is dropping 2 ratios, then take off! :wink2:

Just silly. BEVs are instant torque monsters. If you can’t have fun in one, you’re not trying. I put 3,000mi on the M3P in 6 weeks...including a couple long Supercharger-necessary trips...Ford has got some work cut out for it. We stayed at 2 different Hiltons on the trip and both had an 8 stall Supercharger set up in the parking lot. So, the destination was the SC. It allowed me to get the battery and interior warmed on those below freezing mornings without impacting driving range. The other Supercharger we hit on the way there and back was at a mall. Very handy for killing 30 minutes.

The majority of EA stalls, otoh, are in Wal-Mart parking lots. I’m sure things will change as major manus learn about EV buyers, but the EA charger locations are a bit of a swing and a miss, imho, soulful or not.

#52 ·
#57 ·
Plenty of whingers saying it shouldn't be called Mustang. Well, just by looking at it there is plenty of Mustang in the design so it wouldn't make sense not to call it a Mustang.

Sub 4s to 60mph, keen price, great looks, and with proper dynamics is a great start. If it ticks enough boxes I have absolutely no issue with Ford using the Mustang badge.

#61 · (Edited)
...this just really shows how solid Tesla is. Although some stated it was before, the Mach is NOT bigger than the Y. Actually the Mach is a wee bit smaller in space. $60k to start, initially, availability probably Nov/Dec 2020. 270mi, 5.5s to 60.

They are competitive, without a doubt, but Tesla still holds an obvious lead in pricing, range, and performance. Still, though, Ford did a pretty **** good job. Love the interior. Love the 3/4 and rear views. Looks like a winner and hopefully people will support it. Great first effort.

EDIT: Apparently the site talks about the range being with an optional extended range battery. I wonder if that First Edition price is with or without the battery. That could make a sizable price difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.