• 1 Post By falcon lover
  • 1 Post By Bloggin
  • 2 Post By wingsnut
  • 1 Post By SP1966
  • 1 Post By Bloggin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Ford Focus ZX

Ford Ranger to get Raptor's twin-turbo V6?

Any truth to this??

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-to-...ger-90832.html

Ford is reportedly considering a high-performance Ranger pickup that could serve as a smaller sibling to the F-150 Raptor.

Speaking to Australia's Motoring, Ford Performance global PR manager Paul Seredynski dismissed a Ford Fiesta RS but acknowledged a Ranger Raptor was "a fascinating idea."

The comments suggest the Ranger's long-rumored homecoming may be more spectacular than expected.

The Blue Oval has already made a push toward performance positioning for the model, building a Ranger-bodied racer to compete in the Dakar Rally. The 2013 truck was outfitted with a 5.0-liter V8 capable of delivering 348 horsepower and 413 lb-ft of torque.

A production model could be a bit easier to build as the 2017 F-150 Raptor switches from a V8 to an EcoBoost V6. Despite its smaller displacement, the V6 is expected to generate more power -- perhaps above 450 ponies. The midsize Ranger would likely come in below the top-spec F-150, however the report points to around 400 horsepower as a likely figure.

With or without a Raptor variant, the Ranger is expected to return to the US market within the next few years.
Bloggin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 07:43 PM
FIN Staff Member

Re: Ford Ranger to get Raptor's twin-turbo V6?

I remember before the launch of the new aluminum F-150, Ford tested out the engine and body components at the Baja 1000. So testing the ranger at the Dakar Rally seems to follow a plan.

Looking at midsize truck sales for 2015:

Tacoma, up 15.8%, 179K (December up 20.4%)

Colorado, up 995%, 84K (December up 95.5%)

Canyon, up 880%, 30k (December up 95.7%)

Total GM: 114k

Has midsize truck sales hurt GM's full size truck sales for 2015?

Silverado: up 13.4%
Sierra: up 5.8%

How is Ford doing?

F-150, up 3.5%
falcon lover likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 09:08 PM
FIN Staff Member

Nice....

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-to-...ger-90832.html

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 09:28 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
I remember before the launch of the new aluminum F-150, Ford tested out the engine and body components at the Baja 1000. So testing the ranger at the Dakar Rally seems to follow a plan.

Looking at midsize truck sales for 2015:

Tacoma, up 15.8%, 179K (December up 20.4%)

Colorado, up 995%, 84K (December up 95.5%)

Canyon, up 880%, 30k (December up 95.7%)

Total GM: 114k

Has midsize truck sales hurt GM's full size truck sales for 2015?

Silverado: up 13.4%
Sierra: up 5.8%

How is Ford doing?

F-150, up 3.5%
The best post to defend the Ranger reintroduction in USA. Send it to Bill Ford and Mark Fields. Anyway i suspect Bill and Mark already know those facts and are planning the return of the Ranger faster
Bloggin likes this.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 10:46 AM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
The best post to defend the Ranger reintroduction in USA. Send it to Bill Ford and Mark Fields. Anyway i suspect Bill and Mark already know those facts and are planning the return of the Ranger faster
It seems Ford likes to play catch up with it's competitors with every product except for F-150 and Explorer.

Fusion hybrid and Energi models, launched ahead of the competition, but let the competition pass them by without any drivetrain updates for years.

Focus Electric was the first sub 100 mile EV to market, but Ford let it linger with no drivetrain updates until it is surpassed by all competition.

MKZ hybrid launched but no MKZ plug-in hybrid, where Ford could lead with a luxury plug in, but they let Audi, BMW and MB surpass them, when the drivetrain was already available in the non-luxury Fusion.

Now the midsize pick up market is gaining momentum quickly, Toyota retools and benefits from the higher demand, GM launches two midsize trucks with both at over 95% increase in their second model year. While Ford offers the best midsize pickup other countries, still offers nothing while many of their older Ranger customers upgrade to Toyota and GM offerings.

With so many mentions of their 'futurist' person looking at market trends, how does Ford miss all these trends, and are stuck playing catch up. An exaggeration of that is the China market, where Ford waited until bubble was about to burst before entering the market.

Could it be that Ford is now a bit distracted with trying to be a 'technology' or 'mobility' company, which is keeping them from excelling as a 'car' company? Just like Lincoln needs to quickly spin off to be it's one company, I think the technology or mobility company aspect needs to spin off from the core 'car' company that is Ford.

Also, what's up with Ford's idea that everything has to be a big secret before launch? Announcing product plans a year or so ahead has not hurt VW, Audi, Porsche, Nissan, GM, etc. I think what that does is let the consumer know they are buying from a progressive company that will offer what's next, when it's time to buy again.
2b2 likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 12:05 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
It seems Ford likes to play catch up with it's competitors with every product except for F-150 and Explorer.

Fusion hybrid and Energi models, launched ahead of the competition, but let the competition pass them by without any drivetrain updates for years.

Focus Electric was the first sub 100 mile EV to market, but Ford let it linger with no drivetrain updates until it is surpassed by all competition.

MKZ hybrid launched but no MKZ plug-in hybrid, where Ford could lead with a luxury plug in, but they let Audi, BMW and MB surpass them, when the drivetrain was already available in the non-luxury Fusion.

Now the midsize pick up market is gaining momentum quickly, Toyota retools and benefits from the higher demand, GM launches two midsize trucks with both at over 95% increase in their second model year. While Ford offers the best midsize pickup other countries, still offers nothing while many of their older Ranger customers upgrade to Toyota and GM offerings.

With so many mentions of their 'futurist' person looking at market trends, how does Ford miss all these trends, and are stuck playing catch up. An exaggeration of that is the China market, where Ford waited until bubble was about to burst before entering the market.

Could it be that Ford is now a bit distracted with trying to be a 'technology' or 'mobility' company, which is keeping them from excelling as a 'car' company? Just like Lincoln needs to quickly spin off to be it's one company, I think the technology or mobility company aspect needs to spin off from the core 'car' company that is Ford.

Also, what's up with Ford's idea that everything has to be a big secret before launch? Announcing product plans a year or so ahead has not hurt VW, Audi, Porsche, Nissan, GM, etc. I think what that does is let the consumer know they are buying from a progressive company that will offer what's next, when it's time to buy again.
I think your main gripes comes down to product timing as the blame, not complacency. Ford had a huge lead among nearly every brand with electrification, and for many years – as others only recently and finally tooled up something. Ford is currently also preparing to launch a huge boost to that electrification portfolio, complete with several hybrid exclusive engines, where current hybrids in the industry are all modified ICE for hybrd (Atkinson cycle timing and such). They will be back in the spot light soon enough with impressive products there. And there is absolutely no way…NO WAY…. Ford could lead everyone, every time, and continue to do so….every time. Completely impossible. So when someone says, yeah but brand X beat Ford at this and brand Y beat them at this and…….so on…..you have to step back and say, dumb comparisons. Pick one brand, any brand, and compare across both line-ups…..not cherry pick the best from the rest, against Ford’s weak spots.

As for the Ranger, I do agree that they were slow to respond….but honestly, this is still a huge investment to bring back to the US market and for minimal ROI, looking at the current small truck sales from GM. Sure, it will be great when they are here, and they will be here before you know it, but I hardly think Ford is suffering, nor will they prosper much when here as there will certainly be an impact to their more profitable F series sales. So I am trusting that Ford will bring something that really sets them apart from not only the competition, but F series as well, is profitable and that they are taking their time to deliver it right and for the long haul……not just a quick fix, tiny slice of the market, and at great cost.

The only real problem here, is that we are all quite anal in our daily, if not hourly, curiosity and Monday Morning Q-Backing……which includes myself.
rmc523 and Bloggin like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 01:28 PM
Ford Explorer

Seems to me the 3.5EB would be a bit of overkill in the Ranger. I cannot believe they'll bring the Ranger to NA with steel body construction, it'll weigh as much as the F150 if they do. The 2.7EB should be all a Ranger based Raptor should need, even if some would want more.
Bloggin likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 11:20 PM
FIN Staff Member

"DETROIT, Michigan--Ford is recalling nearly 391,000 Ranger pickups because the driver's air bag inflators can explode with too much force and cause injuries.
The recall covers trucks from the 2004 through 2006 model years in the U.S. and Canada."

If only Ford has something to sell with nearly 400k Ranger customers bringing their 10 to 12 year old Ranger trucks into dealerships for airbag replacements. But I am sure they will get at least 100k questions about when the Ranger is coming back for sale in the US. Which would be a good indicator of desirability/demand for Ford.
2b2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page