2019 Ford Ranger - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community
 370Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 479 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Ford Focus ZX
 
brucelinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 251
Re: 2019 Ford Ranger

I was disappointed when the Ranger was killed in 2011 and am thrilled that it is coming back. I have a 2001 Ranger 4X4 that I sort of planned on keeping forever but now there is light at the end of the tunnel! As great as the F150 is, they are just too dang big for what I use a pickup for. Many people think mid sized pickups are about gas mileage and buying cheap. Not me....I would buy a Ranger even if it cost as much as an F150 and didn't get better mileage. Ease of parking, maneuverability, ease of loading, ability to fit in my garage and still be able to walk around it are things that I like.
2b2, Andrew L, scford58 and 2 others like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brucelinc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 479 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 02:42 AM
Focus RS WRC
 
scford58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 761
Re: 2019 Ford Ranger

The global Ranger looks much better in person than in photos. (IMHO) I can't wait for the Ranger to return and take its proper place at the top of the sales charts.
2b2, AM222 and brucelinc like this.

Ford ~ Mercury ~ Lincoln


Lifelong Fan!
scford58 is offline  
post #23 of 479 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 04:17 AM
Ford Falcon
 
AM222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,655
Re: 2019 Ford Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scford58 View Post
The global Ranger looks much better in person than in photos. (IMHO) I can't wait for the Ranger to return and take its proper place at the top of the sales charts.
I agree, I see the current global Ranger everyday, it looks good in the metal. Plus, it should be getting a refresh/upgrade by 2019 for those who think it might look old by then.

News clip of Ford Philippines taking the motoring journalists off-roading and camping up a mountain in 4x4 Rangers and Everests.

wingsnut and Bloggin like this.

Last edited by AM222; 01-14-2017 at 09:01 AM.
AM222 is online now  
 
post #24 of 479 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 01:54 AM
Focus RS WRC
 
jpd80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 511
Re: 2019 Ford Ranger

OK time to dispel an internet myth which is being perpetuated in discussions lately.

First off, curb weights of base model
- Chevrolet Colorado as per GM's Press Room Release..LINK
- Ranger weights as per Ford Ranger pdf Brochure.

Crew Cab 5'2" Box 2WD
Colorado 2.5 Auto...............4020 lb/ 1823 Kg
Colorado 3.6 V6..................4190 lb/ 1901 Kg
Colorado 2.8 TD.................4460 lb/ 2023 Kg
Ranger XL 2.2 TD...............4319 lb/ 1963 Kg
Ranger XL 3.2 TD...............4431 lb/ 2014 Kg

Crew Cab 5'2" Box 4WD
Colorado 3.6 V6..................4390 lb/ 1991 Kg
Colorado 2.8 TD.................4691 lb/ 2128 Kg
Ranger XL 2.2 TD...............4525 lb/ 2057 Kg
Ranger XL 3.2 TD...............4638 lb/ 2108 Kg
Ranger Wildtrak 3.2 TD......4950 lb/ 2250 Kg

When the high series of Chevrolet Colorado is compared to the Global Ranger Wildtrak,
a 400 lbs weight discrepancy is observed because the Colorado's base weight is being quoted.

When we compare Colorado's base model (WT) curb weight with those of the base model Ranger (XL),
that 400 lb weight discrepancy suddenly disappears....and what's more T6 Rangers have been those weights
since 2011, so GM's Colorado has basically caught up but not necessarily surpassed....
wingsnut, 2b2, AM222 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by jpd80; 01-15-2017 at 01:59 AM.
jpd80 is offline  
post #25 of 479 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 03:20 AM
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,830
Re: 2019 Ford Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
OK time to dispel an internet myth which is being perpetuated in discussions lately.

First off, curb weights of base model
- Chevrolet Colorado as per GM's Press Room Release..LINK
- Ranger weights as per Ford Ranger pdf Brochure.

Crew Cab 5'2" Box 2WD
Colorado 2.5 Auto...............4020 lb/ 1823 Kg
Colorado 3.6 V6..................4190 lb/ 1901 Kg
Colorado 2.8 TD.................4460 lb/ 2023 Kg
Ranger XL 2.2 TD...............4319 lb/ 1963 Kg
Ranger XL 3.2 TD...............4431 lb/ 2014 Kg

Crew Cab 5'2" Box 4WD
Colorado 3.6 V6..................4390 lb/ 1991 Kg
Colorado 2.8 TD.................4691 lb/ 2128 Kg
Ranger XL 2.2 TD...............4525 lb/ 2057 Kg
Ranger XL 3.2 TD...............4638 lb/ 2108 Kg
Ranger Wildtrak 3.2 TD......4950 lb/ 2250 Kg

When the high series of Chevrolet Colorado is compared to the Global Ranger Wildtrak,
a 400 lbs weight discrepancy is observed because the Colorado's base weight is being quoted.

When we compare Colorado's base model (WT) curb weight with those of the base model Ranger (XL),
that 400 lb weight discrepancy suddenly disappears....and what's more T6 Rangers have been those weights
since 2011, so GM's Colorado has basically caught up but not necessarily surpassed....
Exhaust systems and after treatments probably account for about 300lbs when the vehicles are fitted with TD.
jpd80 and Bloggin like this.

**********************

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wingsnut is online now  
post #26 of 479 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 04:14 AM
Ford Falcon
 
AM222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,655
Re: 2019 Ford Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Exhaust systems and after treatments probably account for about 300lbs when the vehicles are fitted with TD.
Diesel engines are heavier too.
Based on the 2013 Australian pre-facelift Ranger T6 specs, the 2.5 liter Duratec (gasoline) manual transmission 2WD crew cab model has a curb weight of 1789 kg (3936 lb).
2b2 likes this.
AM222 is online now  
post #27 of 479 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 09:49 AM
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,830
Re: 2019 Ford Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
Diesel engines are heavier too.
Based on the 2013 Australian pre-facelift Ranger T6 specs, the 2.5 liter Duratec (gasoline) manual transmission 2WD crew cab model has a curb weight of 1789 kg (3936 lb).
A 2.5L Diesel stripped down to block, crank, heads, rods, pistons, etc. all weigh about the same as a gas I4 2.5L. They are physically close in size and use similar materials, albeit with a bit more structure in key areas for higher cylinder pressures. The difference would be modest, maybe 20-50lbs, as most extra weight is all the Diesel add-ons and large exhaust systems.

**********************

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wingsnut is online now  
post #28 of 479 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:27 AM
Ford Falcon
 
AM222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,655
Re: 2019 Ford Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
A 2.5L Diesel stripped down to block, crank, heads, rods, pistons, etc. all weigh about the same as a gas I4 2.5L. They are physically close in size and use similar materials, albeit with a bit more structure in key areas for higher cylinder pressures. The difference would be modest, maybe 20-50lbs, as most extra weight is all the Diesel add-ons and large exhaust systems.
I wonder what else makes up the 300lb+ difference between the Ranger XL with a 2.5 Gasoline engine and with the 2.2 diesel.
Tougher engine construction, heavier crankshaft, larger exhaust, turbocharger... I wonder if that would add 300lb.
AM222 is online now  
post #29 of 479 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 12:28 PM
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,830
Re: 2019 Ford Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
I wonder what else makes up the 300lb+ difference between the Ranger XL with a 2.5 Gasoline engine and with the 2.2 diesel.
Tougher engine construction, heavier crankshaft, larger exhaust, turbocharger... I wonder if that would add 300lb.
Did not mention turbo system, as I often think of that as part of the exhaust system. But exhaust from head to tip really is heavy for Diesels. That's a big part of it.
AM222 likes this.

**********************

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wingsnut is online now  
post #30 of 479 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 08:42 PM
FIN Staff Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,893
Re: 2019 Ford Ranger

I think what will be key to Ranger success, is offering a wide range of models/trim levels. That's been what has key to Ford truck/van sales leadership.

Then there is starting price:

#1 Tacoma: $24,120

#2 Colorado: $20,055

#3 Frontier: $18,390(oldest model)

#4 Canyon: $20,940

#5 Ridgeline: $29,475

Where should Ranger be positioned?
wingsnut, 2b2 and AM222 like this.
Bloggin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
2019, 2019ford, ford, ranger, raptor, wildtrak

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome