S650 already in planning for 2020 delivery? - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 09:03 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: S650 already in planning for 2020 delivery?

Base GT is 35lbs heavier than all new base SS. Very competitive.

Relative to the immense cost (to customer) of reducing weight, bumping power is free and will help to make an few extra lbs feel non existent. Adding 10 speed will help immensely as well.

Mustang is a success because of the value option. I hope Ford is careful with their strategy here. Upgrade options works pretty good, and I hope they continue that path.
FordCosworth and badhac like this.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 10:57 PM
Focus RS WRC

I think we are finally seeing fruits of the Mark Shields era. The product development light has been turned on at Dearborn. Lincoln (and Ford) must offer more variety in the marketplace and they can only do it with modular platforms. I can't wait to see what's down the pike.
wingsnut, 2b2 and FordCosworth like this.
post #13 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 02:01 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
^

or....
swiped from Mustang6g

& for a bit of heresy ,
bringing back an old idea,
wondering if it'd be possible to have 2 modular front-end structures?
one = smaller/lighter for 4cylEB & n/a 2.7v6
other = bigger/stronger for turbo-6(s) and a v8
?
with more models built off the architecture (speculation), think it might be feasible...for ROI/volume too
Just make a strong structure period.

That rendering above looks like a Corvette-ized Mustang.

Let me revive this old chop of mine.
Making the Mustang more compact by trimming the overhangs (mostly at the rear) to bring it close to the 1967 Mustang's length of 183.6 inches while keeping the same passenger area dimensions as the current model (it's still a 4 seater).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015_Mustang_shortened.jpg (176.3 KB, 108 views)
2b2 likes this.

Last edited by AM222; 03-07-2016 at 02:05 AM.

post #14 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

My expectations for the next Mustang are the same as I hope to find in the MCE:

More power for the 4 and 8 cylinder engines, maybe a bump with a touch of refinement for the V6.

Some chassis/steering upgrades, as the current setup is one of the only universal issues I've read about with the current car.

Some weight relief, though I expect evolving safety regs to continue to slap pounds onto every vehicle.

Finally, and maybe most importantly, at least one chassis-mate, something to both spread out the R&D costs and to keep RWD a priority for the company in general. I think that a single model will always suffer more bean-counter-caused compromises than a platform that has to satisfy a few needs.
2b2 likes this.
post #15 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Ford Focus

I'm shocked that nothing has shown up on the S550 platform, because that was a lot of money to spend for 1 car, let alone now such a short life span.
2b2 and The Voice of Doom like this.

Texican1911
Ford/Lincoln/CPO Certified Sales Guy
post #16 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 02:47 PM
Ford Explorer

Stepping back a bit, I don’t believe Ford has officially confirmed these dates.
And secondly, although Mustang is not sharing it’s chassis, it sells in larger numbers than the Camaro / ATS combined.
FordCosworth likes this.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."
post #17 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 06:47 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
Odd, the Camaro is the same basic size and base 4cyl to base 4cyl you're looking at about 200lbs difference. Not saying the need to get all the way there, but there is clearly room for movement.
The New Camaro & ATS's GM Alpha platform is completely unrelated to the old Holden GM Zeta platform. They didn't make a Version 2.0 Zeta, they started with a clean slate. The all-new platform had the concept of light-weighting at its core.

The S550's platform although "all-new" is more of an evolution of the S197's platform. Same wheelbase, similar hard-points etc. The biggest changes have more to do with how to fit an IRS and improving safety.
Perhaps the S650 will have a further evolved (light-weight) platform.

More power can compensate for added weight, but less weight can improve a vehicles agility.

Last edited by AM222; 03-07-2016 at 07:01 PM.
post #18 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 09:10 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

My expectations for the next Mustang are the same as I hope to find in the MCE:

More power for the 4 and 8 cylinder engines, maybe a bump with a touch of refinement for the V6.

Some chassis/steering upgrades, as the current setup is one of the only universal issues I've read about with the current car.

Some weight relief, though I expect evolving safety regs to continue to slap pounds onto every vehicle.

Finally, and maybe most importantly, at least one chassis-mate, something to both spread out the R&D costs and to keep RWD a priority for the company in general. I think that a single model will always suffer more bean-counter-caused compromises than one that has to be impress more than one audience.
2b2 likes this.
post #19 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
I think we are finally seeing fruits of the Mark Shields era. The product development light has been turned on at Dearborn. Lincoln (and Ford) must offer more variety in the marketplace and they can only do it with modular platforms. I can't wait to see what's down the pike.
I'm probably the only person here who prefers the Mulally approach of fewer models.
post #20 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 10:11 PM
Ford Explorer

With the coming flexible chassis and drivetrain, you can eliminate, for example, a mid size FWD and RWD and just offer both in one mid chassis.

In theory.

Last edited by wingsnut; 03-07-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mustang, s550, s650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page