2017 GT500 Site Active!!! - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 02:25 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: 2017 GT500 Site Active!!!

There are enough Mustang names I think. Do we really need to confuse with another? The 500 is just the pinnacle level for stang. It denotes nothing in terms of engine size or performance metrics.

I say stick with what is good. It will not cancel out the great legacy, and if it outperforms all previous versions, which it surely will, then the legacy continues.
gjrip likes this.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
I have no problem with the engine being in the Mustang but I am wondering if it should have a new name. The difference with the GT (GT40) was that it was Ford's fastest car period. The Mustang has so many different trims and names maybe it's time to do a new one with new technology. That's all I am saying, I was never against the GT having the EB V6.
Ah I see. I wouldn't hate the use of the name BOSS in this case but that's just me.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 05:24 PM
Ford Explorer

Actually, Mach would be good too.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 07:29 PM
FIN Staff Member

.....The Focus RS gets AWD and not the Mustang GT500?? GT500 needs to have a more powerful V8, along with lightweight aluminum suspension components, carbon fiber wheels and body panels(hood, hatch). This would be a new high water mark leading to the new next gen Mustang coming an a few years. And Mustang, like F-150, can't go years without class leading innovation.
2b2 likes this.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 07:35 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
.....The Focus RS gets AWD and not the Mustang GT500?? GT500 needs to have a more powerful V8, along with lightweight aluminum suspension components, carbon fiber wheels and body panels(hood, hatch). This would be a new high water mark leading to the new next gen Mustang coming an a few years. And Mustang, like F-150, can't go years without class leading innovation.
Do you feel the 3662 lb GT350R, with lots of CF and a high revving DOHC is lacking to the competition? technologically speaking?
Bloggin likes this.

post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 07:39 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ otoh (if one is given to speculation...)
*IF* an Awd-only (electro/Virtual-Awd/3.0T) STARstang is getting closer...
+
(tho related) just how w-i-d-e of a price range is ideal for the MusStang??

&
what have been the historic roles for the BOSS & Mach?
would one or the other suit the 3.5EB better than the other?
(also, have they been offered simultaneously before?)
Bloggin likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 07:56 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Do you feel the 3662 lb GT350R, with lots of CF and a high revving DOHC is lacking to the competition? technologically speaking?
Not at all...but going from GT350R to GT500, ups the ante. Mustang needs a model that just puts it all out there..... But like F-150, Ford has not been reaching for the competition, but setting the mark so far out, and keep moving it forward.
2b2 likes this.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 07:57 PM
News Guru

I ll try to find something. Nothing yet sadly But I am not giving up. Time to find new dev websites.
2b2, Andrew L and badhac like this.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 02:32 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
1. That engine just won it's class at Le Mans.
2. 650HP/650TQ, + lighter weight than a turbe/super Voodoo

I agree it feels wrong, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be pretty awesome!

My guess is it'll be Voodoo based, with one of the two boosting options. I'd guess it'll be supercharged as there isn't exactly a lot of room for turbos under that hood.
The only reason the new GT supercar has an EcoBoost V6 is because Ford already had a race version of the V6 EB engine and the GT was designed to optimize the Le Mans GT class regulations.

The GT500 was always more of a muscle car, while the GT350 was more of a sports car.
I have a feeling they'd still stick with a V8 for the upcoming GT500. A boosted VooDoo-based V8 sounds interesting.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 01:56 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
People said that about the Ford GT but it worked out fine.
The GT needed the V6 for it's lower mass, more compact size, and better economy in race trim.

That same motor producing the minimum 650hp in the much heavier Mustang would be highly strung, stressed, and possible peaky. No, in the muscle car application the extra capacity of the 8 is needed to compete. M6G are saying the capacity may even be higher than 5.2. I can understand that if Ford are out to make a statement without running the risk of using a highly strung motor.

What we know is in base form the Coyote is still one of the most efficient normally aspirated engines, and I'm including many exotics. Voodoo raises that bar another level. It's VE is impressive. All of that without direct injection. Now, imagine having access to that sort of know-how and tech and adding forced induction and direct injection.

If Ford are consistent the GT500's engine will be totally unique - only sharing bore centres - which means gloves are off. GM/FCA/whoever will have nowhere to hide.

I also expect the 10sp auto to be an option.

And in the instance where Ford feel like they want to hunt P1s and LaFerraris they could "drop" that donk in the GT, but that's just pub talk.
2b2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page