(For fun) Taking a look back at the Mustang Mach III - Ford Inside News Community
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Andrew L
  • 1 Post By Logans Run
  • 1 Post By wingsnut
  • 1 Post By Andrew L

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
(For fun) Taking a look back at the Mustang Mach III

So recently there has been a sort of boom in retro PC gaming and "battle stations". Since I work in IT I have collected a lot of computers and components over time but never got rid of my original Dell desktop from 2000 which was the first PC I learned to tear apart and work on. First one I learned to use was an IBM PS/2 with Windows 3.1 but this Dell taught me the basics of tearing apart and putting back together and reformatting a drive way more times than I care to admit. I got it out of my closet and started to put it back together and load a fresh image of Windows Me on it so I could play some of my beloved old games. Yes I know you can emulate a lot of this software on modern machines but there's something to be said about being able to pop a CD in and it just working without having to jump through hoops.

One of the first games I installed was the Need for Speed series which I still say 1-4 were by far the best of the best but NFS2SE always stuck out to me cause it introduced me to my favorite car of all time the GT90. But that wasn't the only Ford in that game in fact Ford had 3 cars in that game the most of any other brand. The others were the Ford Indigo (1996) and Mustang Mach III (1992) concepts. After beating the game successfully I was going back and reading and listening to the showcases one of the best parts of the old NFS games which spit out a ton of info and specs and listening to the Mustang Mach III showcase was humorous for many reasons. Take a look here it ends around 1:47

The last part when the voice over says "Will we see a Mustang with carbon fiber panels one day? It's more than possible" ended up coming true. We got to see this with the GT500 and GT350 but they weren't the first to use carbon fiber components apparently the 2003 and 2004 SVT Cobra used carbon fiber clutch discs. It's possible some earlier Mustangs used CF components as well but that was the earliest I could find online.

It's also funny to look at some of those specs the 450 HP out of a supercharged 4.6 sounded amazing back then but now Mustang gets 460 HP now without a supercharger in the 5.0 on top of all that the new GT can do 0-60 in under 4 seconds where the Mach III concept was about 4.5 seconds.

Lastly the current Mustang looks far better than the Mach III where the Mach III showcased Ford's new obsession with round lines and oval themes which would hit the 4th gen Mustang and 3rd gen Taurus pretty hard till the Edge styling came to save the day.

Anyway thought it would be fun to look back and see how far we have advanced since then. Hope you guys enjoy.
2b2 and Logans Run like this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 08:53 AM
Ford Flex

Re: (For fun) Taking a look back at the Mustang Mach III

I remember the first racing game I played at the arcade. You had a wheel to turn and a pedal for gas. The screen showed an overhead view of the track and 'cars', as though you were in the Goodyear blimp. The cars were merely smoothed rectangles with four smaller rectangles at each corner to indicate wheels. You raced these cars around the track, trying to remember that when the car was heading towards the lower part of the screen, you needed to turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction.
later I played Al Unser jr.'s racing game on the nintendo, as well as one called Bump & Jump, which you had to try to crash other cars off the road, and remember to jump over walls when they appeared. Now that was a fun game!
Andrew L likes this.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 09:37 AM
Ford Explorer

Speaking of Mustang, Ford just revealed it's 2019 GT350 updates.

DEARBORN, Mich. – To improve the new Ford Mustang Shelby® GT350 driver confidence and lap times, Ford Performance leveraged its Mustang road course racing programs and all-new upcoming Shelby® GT500, infusing GT350 with the very latest in track and street technology.

“Somewhere, Carroll is smiling,” said Hermann Salenbauch, global director for Ford Performance vehicle programs. “The new Shelby GT350 is our ultimate track Mustang. We’ve stuck to Carroll Shelby’s original formula for winning championships and made our Shelby GT350 even better with the latest in race-proven aerodynamics, tire and chassis technology.”

From F-150 Raptor to the Ford GT supercar, Ford Performance is creating authentic performance cars, trucks and utilities that deliver heart-pounding excitement for customers around the world.

Next-level chassis technology and aerodynamics

Building on a road course racing and track-focused legacy born in 1965, Ford Performance engineers and designers incorporated the latest advances in tire, aerodynamics and chassis technology into the 2019 Mustang Shelby GT350.

Working exclusively with Michelin, the team also engineered new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires with a Shelby GT350-specific tread pattern and different compound to deliver more grip for significantly improved acceleration and lateral acceleration, as well as braking. The 295/35 front and 305/35 rear tires are fitted to improved stiffness and optimize new 19-inch aluminum wheels.

An all-new rear spoiler with optional Gurney flap and optimized grille closeout was designed and tuned with experience gained from wind tunnel development of the Ford Performance Mustang road course racing cars and upcoming Shelby GT500 model. Together, they deliver significant rear greater aerodynamic efficiency when equipped with the new optional Gurney flap on the rear spoiler, which will be available after launch.

Upgrades to Mustang Shelby GT350’s standard MagneRide active suspension complement the aero and tire enhancements with recalibrated springs and revised damping to take full advantage of the improvements.

Stopping power is provided by six-piston front and four-piston rear caliper Brembo™ brakes. For added control and improved driver feedback, Shelby GT350’s electric power-assist steering and three-mode electronic stability control settings feature enhancements taken from Ford Performance’s hundreds of hours of competitive track testing.

Tuning with Billy Johnson in the driver’s seat

Billy Johnson knows racing. As a driver for the FIA World Endurance Ford GT and IMSA Mustang GT4 programs, Johnson has broad expertise in what makes for a great driver’s car. He worked with Ford Performance to dial in the Shelby GT350 for 2019.

Shelby GT350’s exclusive high-revving 5.2-liter V8 remains the most powerful naturally aspirated Ford production engine ever and the only one of its type in the segment – delivering 526 horsepower and 429 lb.-ft. of torque at a blistering 8,250-rpm redline. It’s mated to a track-proven and precise-shifting Tremec® 6-speed manual transmission.

Johnson said the result of the new Mustang Shelby GT350’s aerodynamics tuning, revised brake calibration, and much greater downforce is a more balanced, higher-performing car on the straightaways and especially in the corners.

“Along with improved grip, brake and chassis refinements, Shelby GT350 brings a whole new level of performance driving,” he said. “It’s a rewarding car to drive on track for amateurs and pros alike, while making the driver feel like a superhero. It’s confidence inspiring in corners and begs to be pushed harder and to take corners faster.”

More craftsmanship, technology and style

Inside, driver and passengers of the 2019 Mustang Shelby GT350 are treated to a comfortable, stylish and purpose-built cockpit boasting the latest in advanced technology and premium materials expected of a world-class sports car.

Fresh sporting cues include a standard machined aluminum instrument panel appliqué with an available exposed carbon fiber version, plus newly designed door panel inserts in dark slate Miko® suede with accent stitching. A wrapped center console offers rich world-class craftsmanship. Standard Recaro race seats with firm side bolstering and open pass-throughs for safety harnesses offer the highest level of performance, while new power-adjustable seating is available with Miko suede inserts for those looking for added comfort.

A new high-performance, custom-tuned 12-speaker B&O PLAY audio system by HARMAN is now available for the 2019 Mustang Shelby GT350, controlled via the now standard 8-inch SYNC® 3 touch screen that features SiriusXM and FordPass™ Connect. Dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control is now standard, along with a universal garage door opener.

New colors for the 2019 Mustang Shelby GT350 include Velocity Blue and for the first time, Ford Performance Blue. Optional factory-painted over-the-top racing stripes are available in high-gloss Shadow Black, Oxford White or Kona Blue. Mirror-mounted Shelby Cobra Projection Lamps come standard in the available Technology Package.

The 2019 Mustang Shelby GT350 will be available starting in early 2019 and will be built at Flat Rock Assembly Plant in Flat Rock, Michigan. Enrollment in an exclusive, complimentary Track Attack driving program from Ford Performance is included with each vehicle.
hbmf3 likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 01:32 PM
Ford Mondeo

Garage

I had a model of the Mach III concept when I was a kid, partially why Im such a big fan of the SN95 Mustangs.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhac View Post
I had a model of the Mach III concept when I was a kid, partially why Im such a big fan of the SN95 Mustangs.

I have a 1:18 scale of the Mach III in dark green as well and GT90 one in white and one in black
badhac likes this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page