Entry Level Performance Mustang for 2020 - Ford Inside News Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Entry Level Performance Mustang for 2020

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/05/...021&yptr=yahoo

I don't know for certain, but I will make some assumptions here based on what I do know.
So we know Ford's new hybrid system can be biased for performance like the Aviator, or for FE like the Explorer variant. The Aviator gets an additional 200 ftlbs on top of the 400, for 600 total. Explorer makes due with new 3.3L NA and a slight bump in torque. Me thinks that Ford will use the base 2.3L good for about 310-320ftlbs, and bring it up to something like 500ftlbs. And pricing should be around $30K. That is where the value is, where you can have a car that gets decent fuel economy, does not cost you more for insurance, and is fast as heck. And it's a Mustang.
ZanatWork, jpd80 and tagorgia like this.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:36 PM
Ford Mondeo

Garage
Re: Entry Level Performance Mustang for 2020

I think this will likely be the Mustang ST. We'll see a power bump in the 335 to 250 range and it will come with a suspension/aero package similar to the GT PP2. I think the hybrid will be something else.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhac View Post
I think this will likely be the Mustang ST. We'll see a power bump in the 335 to 250 range and it will come with a suspension/aero package similar to the GT PP2. I think the hybrid will be something else.
I don't know, adding 20hp or so to the base Mustang is hardly a performance value. I think if they work the hybrid system to really pump it up, and for dirt cheap, they can also have a hybrid version for FE. That is the benefit of this new system. Very flexible.
SP1966 likes this.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."

Last edited by wingsnut; 04-07-2019 at 08:48 PM.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:55 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

I just have to wonder if it'll get the "full" version of the turbo 2.3, giving it the same HP as the Focus RS...because that would add power without adding the weight of a hybrid system.

If GM can justify Buick, and if Honda can justify Acura, we can damned well have Mercury back.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

If biased for performance, it would surely get the untouched 2.3L. No Atkinson cycle, or more specifically, no Miller cycle for GTDI. That is what they did with the Aviator, leaving the 400hp 3.0L untouched.
ZanatWork likes this.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:23 PM
Ford Mondeo

Garage

This was spotted running around the proving grounds, speculation is its the entry level performance model

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:19 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

I just hope they massage the 2.3 and create a good lightweight Mustang variant with its own dynamics. I don't necessarily want this to be a hybrid, because that will come with a serious weight penalty.

If GM can justify Buick, and if Honda can justify Acura, we can damned well have Mercury back.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:46 PM
Ford Focus ZX

I'd prefer a lower priced V8 version, like the old LX 5.0.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaase View Post
I'd prefer a lower priced V8 version, like the old LX 5.0.
I had an LX 5.0L in early 90's. It was quick enough, but dang did I get pissed every time a Buick GS would beat me in a race But I recall the price was not that much less than a GT, like just a few hundred difference.

I am torn though, as Zana suggested, I too would love to see a bit more boosted power out of base 2.3L, a mild SVO if you will. But on the other hand, Ford's new integrated MHT transmission houses the power split architecture, which is very compact and relatively light. Combined with the new lightweight battery array (1/3 size and weight of previous) you can bias that hybrid power for massive torque and sport instead of FE. This is V8 performance for thousands less in price, gas and insurance. That is the value I speak of.

Anyway, can't wait to see what they have planned.
glyphics likes this.

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Did a quick search to see if Ford's new MHT transmission is newsworthy yet, and I only saw early patents. Here it is, pretty much same as when it was developed like almost a decade ago. Amazing how long it takes.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20130296108A1/en

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in