Ford Inside News banner

2015 Ford Mustang, Different Enough to Get New Platform Designation

15K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  germeezy1 
#1 ·
2015 Ford Mustang, Different Enough to Get New Platform Designation

View attachment 3389

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...gh-to-get-new-platform-designation-54848.html

The next generation Ford Mustang will receive a new platform designation as part of the Blue Oval's plans to significantly change the future global muscle car.

According to MustangsDaily.com, who's citing an anonymous inside source, the 2015 Mutang will be designated as having the S550 platform, instead of the S197 moniker used for the fifth generation. In short, this means Ford will introduce a new platform for the fifth time in the model's 50 year history.

We still don't know what the new Mustang will look like, except the fact that it will be unlike anything we've seen before. We do know that the new pony car will be sold in Europe as part of the company's aim to become global, so that means the car will be both lighter and smaller than the current S197 platform.

Rumors are still divided regarding its styling, the Mustang being linked, for some reasons, with the Ford Evos Concept and a Fusion-based coupe. On the other hand, the Blue Oval made it clear that the design will be less retro, but will "try to win all of the Mustang faithful yet bring the brand forward as well."

Aside from the new exterior styling, the 2015 Mustang will also receive an independent rear suspension and new smaller turbocharged engine options.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Link to LINK
The new Focus RS’s case is also strengthened considerably because it’s expected to use a new, Ford-developed 2.3-litre turbocharged four-cylinder tuned to around 330bhp. The engine, which will also feature in the Mustang...
has me wondering about the other engines for the nextgenStang
- & if the 2.7/2.9 Nano v6 could have a Mustang-exclusive 2.8 version
- + think a 250hp2.8v6 would be a fine base engine
- but, could it get a sorta-Unique bodystyle? ie NOTCHBACK-only
- then, also offer the NB on the higher volume engines but the others which would remain (for now) fastback-only ((also wondering if the top volume model could also get a hatchback-fastback?)(good for Yurps?))
- and speaking of Yurps, wonder if they'll get a smaller 4cylEB? or even the 210hp EB3cyl ... in addition to a Yurp-only diesel?

#6 ·
has me wondering about the other engines for the nextgenStang
- & if the 2.7/2.9 Nano v6 could have a Mustang-exclusive 2.8 version
- + think a 250hp2.8v6 would be a fine base engine
- but, could it get a sorta-Unique bodystyle? ie NOTCHBACK-only
- then, also offer the NB on the higher volume engines but the others which would remain (for now) fastback-only ((also wondering if the top volume model could also get a hatchback-fastback?)(good for Yurps?))
- and speaking of Yurps, wonder if they'll get a smaller 4cylEB? or even the 210hp EB3cyl ... in addition to a Yurp-only diesel?
The accountants would hate you!! LOL

No way they do an exclusive engine other than the GT500.
No way they build the notchback again.
No way they put either a 3cyl or diesel in a 'Stang, at least not here in 'Murica!

#7 ·
I'm expecting a 250+HP EB2.0L I4 as standard, an SVT/SVO model with a 330HP EB I4, a 450HP DI 5.0L V8 with cylinder deactivation for the GT, and a 680HP EB5.0L V8 for the GT500. The EBI4s eliminate the need for the V6.

#13 ·
I would be surprised if the next Mustang platform is flexible enough to be useful to Lincoln. Actually, I would be surprised if Ford is even considering Lincoln in the Mustang equation. Lincoln certainly isn't going to reskin a Mustang and call it a day, it needs AWD for one thing, not to mention 4-doors since nobody is going to buy a Lincoln Mustang, the luxury coupe market is an extreme oddity, especially for Lincoln.

#14 ·
I would be surprised if the next Mustang platform is flexible enough to be useful to Lincoln. Actually, I would be surprised if Ford is even considering Lincoln in the Mustang equation. Lincoln certainly isn't going to reskin a Mustang and call it a day, it needs AWD for one thing, not to mention 4-doors since nobody is going to buy a Lincoln Mustang, the luxury coupe market is an extreme oddity, especially for Lincoln.
You would also be surprised when a Lincoln personal luxury coupe hits the market in less than three years from now.

#15 ·
You're all probably right about Ford keeping a V6 available for the next gen Mustang, I just don't think it needs it with the EB2.0L I4 being out there. If (when?) Ford includes the V6, they could go to the 3.5L rather than the 3.7L and still get about the same performance yet better fuel economy what with the likely lighter platform. Right now, the smaller V6 is worth a mile or two per gallon depending on application; with the lighter weight we could see some real improvement if they use the smaller plant. Regardless, I can't wait for the next Pony Car comparo with the new Camaro, new Mustang, and new Barracuda. We all win on this one.

#16 ·
You would also be surprised when a Lincoln personal luxury coupe hits the market in less than three years from now.
do you mean a larger-than-S550/Stang coupe, N.R.?
cuz
imho that'll depend on a Continental getting greenlit...
...have you heard anything?
&
imho the LincStang is as good as confirmed since FlincMoCo announced they're going after the "highest-volume Lux segments"
#1 = 3-series&friends
[broken record] 'course I consider 4-doors more important sales/profit-wise

#18 ·
do you mean a larger-than-S550/Stang coupe, N.R.?
cuz
imho that'll depend on a Continental getting greenlit...
...have you heard anything?
&
imho the LincStang is as good as confirmed since FlincMoCo announced they're going after the "highest-volume Lux segments"
#1 = 3-series&friends
[broken record] 'course I consider 4-doors more important sales/profit-wise
I'm only listening to what Ausrutherford has stated. I'm the wrong guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.