AutoNews: Lincoln Prices Won't Jump To Fill Jag Void - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to SobeSVT
Re: AutoNews: Lincoln Prices Won't Jump To Fill Jag Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
You didn't think I would let this go by, did you?
Actually I was hoping you wouldn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
Lincoln is doing well because it has 2 completely new products it didn't have before. Cadillac has no new models. Newer versions, but no new market segments. Add the MKS to the mix and Lincoln will be doing well indeed by this time next year.

Ford execs are wise to not state sales projections of the MKS. Even if it sells poorly compared to the competition, there can still be lots of crowing. There's no history to compare any of these new models to (unless you want to bring up the Aviator). For example, the last time Lincoln had a car anything like the MKS (large FWD sedan) was the 2002 Continental. By the time the MKS makes it to dealers, 6 years will have passed. So no matter what sales are they can and will be hearlded as fantastic.
One can argue that the MKX did replace the Aviator or the the MKZ replaced the LS. But lets say you are right and Lincoln has 2 completely new products it didn't have before (that of course since you insist in calling the MKZ -previously Zephyr, a "completely new product it [Lincoln] didn't have before", even though its been in the market since fall 2005). Well, in the same token it is also true that Lincoln now doesn't have 2 completely different products it did have before, the LS and the Aviator.

But you are also selectively oblivious of the fact that two pre existing Lincoln product (40% of their lineup, if you count the discontinued MarkLT, 50% if you don't) are doing much better than last year. The Navigator recorded a gain of 14.1% for the month of october and has an accumulated YTD gain of 8.1%, and of course the MKZ gained 28.5% last month and has an accumulated 8.3% YTD gain.

Like you said the MKS will only make things better, but I can't see the rationale behind trying to demerit Lincoln's 2007 impressive achievements.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 04:37 AM

Wow, what a lot of hot air about what a word ("flagship") means. Might as well add my own. It's a matter of context. Usually it just means a brand's most expensive vehicle. If that's the case here, and it means the MKS is going to be priced north of the Town Car, Lincoln might have some trouble selling very many of them. Size-wise the TC is still the Queen Mary of the line, especially the extended wheelbase version, which is just as high end as any past iteration of the TC. Let's not forget that the MKS will be pulled by a V6, albeit a very good one, with less than 300 HP for at least a year, and it's standard version will be that of a front drive car. The car rag writers, like some of our folks here, are going to characterize it as a slightly stretched and tarted up Taurus, much akin to the last two Continentals. Minus, of course, their 32 valve V8s. So this is going to be a new "light" definition of flagship I suspect. Here's hoping they make it work by getting the details right.

I'm a little stunned to hear people saying that Lincoln's next step up will be the MKR. Everything I seem to have read from supposed insiders suggests that it's definitely not a "go" and that Mulally was furious with the concept car builders for putting out a show car that couldn't be built. But who knows. I like the car and hope they can make something like it. But please, don't call it "MKR." If Lincoln gives a hoot about its DNA and its heritage, that car is the Mark IX, period.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post

Huntsman is the (rumored/speculated*) GlobalRwdPlatform
to be developed
to replace the 'Orion' (codenamed) platform that's debuting next year on the nextgen Australian FALCON
& be used(*) for Lincolns and others(*).

btw, it's "Ford-ish" not Ford-ese
And what does "(rumored/speculated*)" mean in Ford-ISH, and more importantly when?

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 06:01 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

^^ g'morning

speculated because afaik the only official statement was made by the head of FordAu who said something to the effect that nothing is concrete about Huntsman yet.
when?... iirc Australia has new regulations going into effect in mid-2010cy that mean the 3.5v6 will replace the inline 6.
of course nothing official has been said about the platform changing then too, but...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
autonews, fill, jag, jump, lincoln, prices, void

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in