What Should Mercury's New Design Look Like - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover
Re: What Should Mercury's New Design Look Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowZx5 View Post
OK I guess I should give my opinion on this topic since I am driving my Milan for 3 more months....

1. Keep the Mercury Logo but like everyone else says put it on the hood but remove the Mercury name from around the Logo.

2. Replace the Waterfall Grille unless they update the waterfall to something more unique. Again everyone is copying the waterfall and its time to give Mercury a new look for its new path in life.

3. Bring the Cougar as a sports car but maybe for limited production, do exactly what they did for the Fiesta and have people reserve the vehicle and give them something special for reserving the car. Plus use the Cougar Head Logo.

4. More LED. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LED's on a car. LED turn signals in the mirrors, tail lights, and maybe something more but not sure since there are really no LED Headlights.

5. Make Mercury still different from Ford but not as high of a class as Lincoln. I pair Ford vs. Chevy, Mercury vs. Buick, and Lincoln vs. Cadillac. Since Buick is doing fantastic right now in sales, Mercury needs to get the guns out and take Buick for a ride.

6. Bring the Ford KA from Europe and make it a Mercury. I think this would be a great Mini or Smart car contender and I think it will fill a niche market Mercury could swoop up.

Just my opinion, I got Photoshop and need to learn to chop some cars up but until then I can only use my imagination.
ok...great ideas...here my opinions:

1. If you want a high class and sofisticated look, change the logo and bring back the old logo ( Mercury God's head...), with some modern touches and put it at the front, in the grille or the upper side of the front end.. The name Mercury could be lettering at the back of the cars, in cursive font.

2. I agree, replace the waterfall grille. Search in the Mercury past and give the cars a completly and exclusive grille look.

3. I agree, bring back the Cougar. But in a RWD platform, with the Mustang. This Cougar must be like the 1st Cougar: a premium and luxury personal sport coupe. Add a convertible version. The rest of the line must be cool and sofisticate sedans and, maybe, people movers...

4. I agree, again. Leds and small head and tail ligths for the new Mercurys. Slim and futuristic ligths could be a distintive style for the new cars. Is time to bring cars with metal body works, not almost enterely glass body work: the super-supersized head and tail lamps are boring me.All cars are looking in the same form.

5. I see Buick as the natural competition for Mercury, too.

6. Could be a good idea to do that. The new Ka is a good car. Maybe the Fiat 500 is the natural target. In fact, both cars have the same platform! This segment is the so called "boutique cars", or cars for people that has 3 or more cars, and this is the "chic" or "toy" car of the home.

I hope someone has a good photoshoped picture for us, with this wish list!!!

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 03:50 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

ok, here come's some Libra-ish seeing-both-sides ...mixed with my obsessive-obsession

1. Keep the Mercury Logo but like everyone else says put it on the hood but remove the Mercury name from around the Logo.
1. If you want a high class and sophisticated look, change the logo and bring back the old logo ( Mercury God's head...), with some modern touches and put it at the front, in the grille or the upper side of the front end.. The name Mercury could be lettering at the back of the cars, in cursive font.

I'd like to see a solid disk with the logo CutOut - sorta reverse of now
&
use the Godhead on a renamed VOGA pkg - it should look more like an antique Roman coin/medallion tho
&
maybe incorporate some wing-like elements = "Winged Messenger"

2. Replace the Waterfall Grille unless they update the waterfall to something more unique. Again everyone is copying the waterfall and its time to give Mercury a new look for its new path in life.
2. I agree, replace the waterfall grille. Search in the Mercury past and give the cars a completly and exclusive grille look.

I **LOVE** the waterfall grilles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
all the way back to the original COUGAR's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tho DO think they need some more variations & refinements
LINK: just an idea
&
maybe incorporate some wing-like elements = "Winged Messenger"

3. Bring the Cougar as a sports car but maybe for limited production, do exactly what they did for the Fiesta and have people reserve the vehicle and give them something special for reserving the car. Plus use the Cougar Head Logo.
3. I agree, bring back the Cougar. But in a RWD platform, with the Mustang. This Cougar must be like the 1st Cougar: a premium and luxury personal sport coupe. Add a convertible version. The rest of the line must be cool and sofisticate sedans and, maybe, people movers...

The COUGAR must flow** ...err... mean RETURN
"how" is perhaps the most difficult question in all auto manufacturing imho
** "Dune" reference ...the COUGAR IS the "spice" that Mercury is missing

4. More LED. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LED's on a car. LED turn signals in the mirrors, tail lights, and maybe something more but not sure since there are really no LED Headlights.
4. I agree, again. Leds and small head and tail ligths for the new Mercurys. Slim and futuristic ligths could be a distintive style for the new cars. Is time to bring cars with metal body works, not almost enterely glass body work: the super-supersized head and tail lamps are boring me. All cars are looking in the same form.

Agree with Both!!
also have this idea for deep-set HL's - to make the 'lamps' themselves near invisible (anti-Bling), just a slot that emits light

5. Make Mercury still different from Ford but not as high of a class as Lincoln. I pair Ford vs. Chevy, Mercury vs. Buick, and Lincoln vs. Cadillac. Since Buick is doing fantastic right now in sales, Mercury needs to get the guns out and take Buick for a ride.
5. I see Buick as the natural competition for Mercury, too.

Mercury is (potentially) sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooo
MUCH MORE than Buick (no offense)...
...remember I consider the CTS to be the best PONTIAC ever built and include that in Mercury's targets
as well as all imports below the S-class
esp Acura-before-their-designers-went-blind = Mercura
& both VW&Audi = Meraudivvagen
even a bit of Mercurati & AlfaMerceo
+ LancerEvo = Mercubishi

... I'll pass on #6
but will add in-general,
would like to see smoooooth styling with some swoopy 'ridges'

re: Photoshops
there have been an awful lot here & on other sites
maybe if you guys have some spare time; why not post your favorite wish-Mercs

ps
remember to vote for the MILAN in Autoweek's 'Midsizer' Poll (thread)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Ford Kuga

Ditto 2b2 on the Mercury being higher caliber to Buick.
As well as Ford being higher caliber to Chevy
Ford vs VW
Mercury vs Acura, Infiniti, Audi, Volvo etc
Lincoln vs MB

2012 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 SW Moondust Silver 5spd manual
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost AWD Panther Black 6spd Auto

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Ford Flex

The Ford brand is moving upscale and Lincoln is not moving up and out of it's way fast enough. This really puts Mercuy in a vise between them.

Without a bunch of new models, or a lot of money right now, Mercury needs a design that really stands out (think Mini). It needs to be recognizable from a distance, and kids need to think it looks cool.
The waterfall grill has been used and abused by too many makes in the past. The Mercury logo is based on that and an "M", and needs to go too.
Mercury needs to get aggressive, and really stand out from the crowd, without looking goofy like the Acuras. It needs to look slick, fun, and make people not only remember what it is, but look for it as well (think VW Bug).

If they decide not to do this, Mercury will continue on the path it has been on for the past 20 years. With Ford moving up, that will soon turn out to be a dead end road.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 03:22 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
The Ford brand is moving upscale and Lincoln is not moving up and out of it's way fast enough. This really puts Mercuy in a vise between them...

...If they decide not to do this, Mercury will continue on the path it has been on for the past 20 years. With Ford moving up, that will soon turn out to be a dead end road.
imho this is the whole point of the "Small Mercs Theorem";
to give Lincoln time to believably move up-market

tho I readily admit I'm less than comfortable with it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Focus RS

Wink Re: What Should Mercury's New Design Look Like

I say lets bring back a retro midsize '67 Cougar coupe and convertible. That should bring some traffic back into the dealerships. Put the 3.O for base model and 3.7 for XR7. Cloth for base and leather for XR7. That's a winner.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via AIM to YellowZx5 Send a message via Yahoo to YellowZx5

Well when we were in NYC at the AutoShow, LMdealer and I, the MErcury team said the Tracer was pushed back, so maybe they needed more time.

To defend my point with Ford vs chevy..etc. I was only pointing Ford vs. GM and no other company. I agree there are different manufacturers to pin them against but I always pin Ford vs. GM.

Either LMdealer or I will post the pics we have from the Autoshow. I could not stay away from the Fiesta and was told they want to start delivery in May and not in June if they can get them built fast enough.

Current Car; 2018 Focus EV 115m Range
2015 Focus EV 75m Range, 2013 Cmax Energi, 2010 Fiesta, 2007 Milan, 2005 Ranger, 2002 Focus Zx5.

Vermont Drive Electric Ambassador
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 11:54 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

knightfan26917 over at GMI made an EMBLEM thread
which got me wondering if it'd be a possible idea for Mercury - to either use with their current logo somehow OR more likely to replace that with individual model-emblems...
...esp. since in the near future they'll only have 3 models to design emblems for (afaik)

It kind of goes-against the current philosophy of promoting the Brand name over the models'
then again it'd be a strong differentiator from Ford's BlueOval and Lincoln's Star imho
&
of course if/when someday they build the COUGAR, they've got a couple already to choose from for that
but
don't think that "Milan" or "Tracer" automatically bring up any images to use, tho "Mariner" has possibilities...

...I'm not sure if it's a good/workable idea for Mercury or not but am intrigued by it. WHACHA THINK?

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Ford Focus ZX

They should be self evident.........

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 03:00 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

&

thanks, Tim!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
design, mercury

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page