A Former Mercury Owner Mourns - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

A Former Mercury Owner Mourns

A Former Mercury Owner Mourns - Car and Driver

June 7, 2010 at 10:57 am by Tony Swan
...Mercury was launched in 1939, created by Edsel Ford, who was then the president of Ford Motor Co. The idea was to establish a slightly upscale brand that would slot into the competitive firmament between Pontiac and Oldsmobile.

It succeeded, for a time. The late Tom McCahill referred to Mercury as “the bad boy” in the Ford hierarchy, and there were some memorable cars along the way. The other-worldly Turnpike Cruiser of 1957. The fastback Cyclones of the late ’60s.

But in the last couple decades or so, Mercurys have been little more than re-skinned and re-badged versions of their Ford-division counterparts. The only noteworthy exception was the 1999 Cougar, a slick-looking sports coupe that Ford allowed to languish after a promising launch.

The Cougar experience is a microcosm of what went down with the division in general: neglect. It’s hard to sustain a car company with no distinctive new product. You might have noted that Mercury’s original competitive targets—Oldsmobile and Pontiac—have also disappeared from the stage...

More...

photocredit: Ford.weick.com ( at time of posting; page 3 & following )

my current sig-pic was found there too: the 1939-40 Mercury logo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: A Former Mercury Owner Mourns

Memories of Mercury - The Hartfordite - Dennis House

posted on Wednesday, June 2nd, 2010 at 9:24 pm
Today Ford announced it was shutting down the Mercury brand, the latest purge by the automaker, having already sold Jaguar and Land Rover to a company in India and Volvo to the Chinese.

I always had a soft spot in my heart for Mercury because I drove two of them way back when I was in high school and college...

...Mercurys were often seen in television shows and movies. The ultra cool Steve McGarrett drove Mercurys in “Hawaii Five-O.” Despite what young people may think, Mercurys weren’t always just Ford clones aimed at senior citizens.

Betty Draper drives this Mercury Colony Park in “Mad Men.”

Mercury made some cool cars, from the Cougar to the Marauder to the Comet. It is kind of sad that the brand is now fading into the history books after 72 years, joining Plymouth, Oldsmobile, Packard and other storied names in the trash bin. Could Ford have turned the brand around like General Motors has done to Buick, which is now the fastest growing brand in America? We’ll never know, but my guess is…yes.

I do know that years from now at an antique auto show no one is going to be gushing over a bland and listless Toyota Camry, but they will marvel over a car called Mercury.

More...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

an auto-feed posted SOLELY to possibly spur discussion & keep some life in this section,
this article proves that (some) old farts never 'got' Mercury either.
Just the nice part:

Car and Driver: David E. Davis, Jr. OP-ED

August 2010
...As conceived by Edsel Ford, the first Mercury, a 1939 model, was introduced to dealers and the public on October 6, 1938. It was a little larger, a little heavier, and a little faster than the 1939 Ford, and it was well received. It became a popular platform for the West Coast speed equipment of that era, and customizers loved it. The Mercury line encompassed a four-door convertible, which remains a premium-price collector’s car to this day.

In 1949, sitting in a popular Detroit drive-in restaurant in a plain-Jane 1940 *Pontiac two-door sedan owned by the driver’s father, we watched the first genuine *California custom we had ever seen roll into a parking slot in the row ahead of us. It had begun life as a 1939 Mercury convertible. It was an ethereal blue-white. It had been chopped and channeled, and its original folding top replaced with a much lower, padded Carson top. The rear fenders wore teardrop skirts, and the front wheels wore spinner hubcaps. Headlights, taillights, and its California license plate had been frenched. Remote switches replaced the original door handles.

When I felt brave enough, I strolled over and began to question the driver. Asked what gave the car such a rich exhaust note, he said, “Well, I got headers on it, and I run one Smithy and one Sandee [mufflers] to make it mellow.” I was transfixed. I had never stood so close to anything so wonderful in my 18 years of life...

Direct Gallery LINK (not great)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Focus RS

I had 5 Mercurys. The first was a 1957 Turnpike Cruiser for my senior year of high school. The car was 8 years old. The car had the rear window that opened. One night a friend of mine went to the drive-in with dates that have never been in the car. At intermission, my friend said he wanted to go to the concession stand. As he got out, he motion for me to open the rear window. The friends date didn't realize the window was opening. I seen my friend climb up on the truck and reach in and grab her around the neck. The girl let out a healthy scream. I turned a couple shads of red from how loud it was. I had 4 Marquis since then. Loved them all. I will miss Mercury. I can always buy used.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 04:31 AM
Banned

Wow I like this old model mercury. I had before 3 year ago. I like it so much. Have really a good mileage and very nice speed and eco friendly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mercury, mourns, owner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page