Mercury 2012: What Could Have Been - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Writer

Post Mercury 2012: What Could Have Been

What Could Have Been
What 2012 could have been like for Mercury.
www.FordInsideNews.com
April 21, 2011
By: Ross Musick

As the breakup scene of any John Hughes flick will tell you, don't waste your time thinking about the girl after you've lost her. That ship has sailed.

Much like we grow attached to significant others over time, though, we also form emotional attachments to certain cars and brands. As anyone whose even been left high and dry by a lady-friend can tell you, the sudden closure of a favorite automotive marquee can leave you with a coupe-shaped hole in your heart.

After the Great Recession and subsequent near-collapse of the auto industry, fans of the Mercury brand watched as Ford brass announced that the nameplate would be no more. While rumors of Mercury's pending death had been swirling for years, the company's recent announcements about a new brand strategy seemed to be the salvation that fans were hungry for.

The last Mercury, a Grand Marquis sedan, was produced in January of this year.

Before the execution, however, Ford management had made allusions to a new strategy for Mercury; to stock the brand with "premium" subcompact and compact models. The first fruit of this plan was to be the 2012 Tracer, a version of the new-for-2012 global Ford Focus.

I don't doubt Ford's reasoning for killing the brand: Mercury had always suffered from a severe identity crisis, sometimes being sportier models, sometimes more luxurious, and for the last 20 years, mostly rebadged Fords. With the skyrocketing public perception (and accompanying ATP's) of the Ford brand, Mercury just didn't make a lot of sense.

Like a teenager with a first taste of love, though, let's take a look back at what might have been. Let's say Ford fleshed out their plan for a new, succinct lineup of premium compacts and subcompacts. What should they have done? Here's how this blogger sees it:

MERCURY 2012

Purpose: To offer uniquely styled, technology advanced, expressive array of B- and C-segment coupes, sedans, and hatchbacks.

Concept: TRON-inspired futurism blended with cutting-edge technology, offering styling and interior appointments that are more expressive than their Ford brethren.

Lineup:

Tracer: Focus-based range of sedan and hatchbacks. Available hybrid and PEV power packs. Would likely share greenhouse and interior hard points with Focus, though would receive unique front and rear clips, dash skin and trim.

Capri: Focus-based coupe and convertible.

Comet: Fiesta-based 3 door and 5 door hatchback. Shared greenhouse with Fiesta, unique front and rear clips, and interior.

Propel: 5 seat MPV based off the SWB C-Max. Shared greenhouse, unique front and rear clips, and interior.

So, what do you think? What would you like to see?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 07:24 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: Mercury 2012: What SHOULD Have Been ! ! !

TY, PREMiERdrum!!

first, for those who are new or haven't found the Design Section yet:
the Mission: MERCURY!
thread
then
other than changing the 'Tracer' name to the Mercury CORTINA
(I had played with calling it the 'Milanetto' while dreaming about it for 5 years ever since the C1 Focus debuted)
I'd be happy with ANYthing ... esp anything easier than my current plans of eventually customizing a Focus (or Lincoln mkE) into a proper C-segment Merc
but also
I'd have definitely made the KuGa the new Mariner
&
have given the small Mercs the full Lincoln feature/package/option treatment...and then some - ie the Mariner would be priced exactly like the (probable) MKG

btw...if you don't know, FoMoCo has been auctioning off old concepts for charity
& the Mercury MC4 concept pictured below went for the 2nd highest-EVER price of Any FoMoCo vehicle (iirc) of recent vintage: over $600,000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Writer

Re: Mercury 2012: What Could Have Been

I struggled with some of the naming, but ultimately settled on a sort-of Buck Rodgers retro futurism feel, which is getting to be popular again.

I decided to keep the utility in the Lincoln brand because it would likely be much more profitable there. Also, having it priced as a Lincoln would free up the development dollars to make it worthy of being a Lincoln.

What I'd love to sandbox with would be a new Mercury logo... If only I had the time.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to SobeSVT

John Hughes, may he rest in peace . . . was right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:38 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

I'd favor mostly Burt Rutan ....plus a little Buck Rodgers retro futurism feel is fine

re: Mariner
It just took me soooo long to reconcile with "The Small Mercs Theorem" that FoMoCo (falsely) proposed that I'm not ready to give up on it now
actually
forgot to say it before
I had strongly wanted the RotW Mazda6 swoopy 5-door as a Milan replacement - it's a good 1/2 foot shorter than our Mz6 iirc - and would have NO internal competition in the US
(large via Mission: MERCURY! post 86...
check #84 for Mercury SingAlongs!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PREMiERdrum View Post
...What I'd love to sandbox with would be a new Mercury logo... If only I had the time.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Ford Flex

I would have given Mercury the hardtop convertable Focus coupe along with a sportwagon and a mini CUV similar in size to the Kia Soul.
The Milan would have been given a coupe, and The Mariner would be a stretched Escape/kuga. That would be it.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 01:07 AM
Ford Ka

may he rest in peace . . . was right.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 03:44 PM
Focus RS WRC

All Mercury models would share no sheet metal or interior panels:
Comet & Comet XR-3: Focus based sedan, wagon, and coupe with Ecoboost 1.6L I4/AWD standard on XR-3
Milan & Milan XR-5: Fusion based sedan with Ecoboost 2.0L I4/AWD standard on XR-5
Cougar & Cougar XR-7: Fusion based coupe with Ecoboost 2.0L I4/AWD standard on XR-7
Montego & Montego XR-9: Taurus based sedan with Ecoboost 3.5L V6/AWD standard on XR-9
Marauder: Taurus based coupe with Ecoboost 3.5L V6/AWD standard
Mountaineer: Taurus X based crossover with 3.5L V6 standard and Ecoboost 2.0L I4/AWD optional

Buy American!
Buy Ford!
So say we all...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 09:11 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

since I voted "2020's" on a facebook "What's your Favorite Decade of Mercury Vehicles?" poll;

I'm kind of thinking the Small Mercs Theorem might wind up being the way that Mercury is re-introduced to the few, the un-stoopid , those with better taste than bankrolls

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2012, mercury

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page