8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Focus RS WRC

Re: a New MERCURY riddle/heresy

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post
Sorry.....

.....but Mercury is DEAD for a GOOD reason. Why can't we let it stay DEAD.
Or Ford could fix it and expand their market for more profit and more jobs. What GM always did better IMHO was the way they did platform sharing, although they usually did too much of it. But, when you compared sister cars, such as the Cutlass, Regal, Century, Grand Prix, Grand Am, Bonneville, Monte Carlo, Malibu, (did I miss any of the A/G body cars of the 70s-80s?), they shared no sheet metal or interiors across brands. Ford and Mercury OTOH shared most sheet metal and used only trim such as grilles, taillights, and side body molding to differentiate sister cars. They should've gone much further to attain that goal as they had done in the past. And they can again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Cal View Post
Or Ford could fix it and expand their market for more profit and more jobs. What GM always did better IMHO was the way they did platform sharing, although they usually did too much of it. But, when you compared sister cars, such as the Cutlass, Regal, Century, Grand Prix, Grand Am, Bonneville, Monte Carlo, Malibu, (did I miss any of the A/G body cars of the 70s-80s?), they shared no sheet metal or interiors across brands. Ford and Mercury OTOH shared most sheet metal and used only trim such as grilles, taillights, and side body molding to differentiate sister cars. They should've gone much further to attain that goal as they had done in the past. And they can again.
I had the opportunity to drive a MonteCarlo and GrandPrix back-to-back in the 90's
and
they drove COMPLETELY differently as well as looking diifferent;
from the 'feel', they weren't only from diff mfgs but diff continents!

imho Mercury was denied its own design-philosophy.
ex: the MonSABLEtego... it's last refresh had completely unique sheetmetal from the A-pillar forward
BUT
it still looked undifferentiated / obviously designed by the Taurus's team

Lincoln comments, separate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Focus RS WRC

Platform sharing doesn't have to be a negative thing. It's just that it took Ford too long to figure that out and that short-sightedness cost us the Mercury division.

Buy American!
Buy Ford!
So say we all...

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

partly for SullyND's desire for a 'heretical' Mustang 4-door (actually 2!)
& partly for Syr's "...I think casting Mercury as a sporting, rwd brand...makes a lot of sense."
& with the Mustang-architecture frontend from the CD4-3-Fwd-Rwd-Poll
I
wonder
*IF*
the Mustang-sourced drivetrains could be grafted ON to other rear compartments???
specifically ones that neither Ford nor LINCOLN would be tempted to use!

Capri > Focus sedan rear compartment (with dual-back)
Puma* > Fusion rear compartment (ditto^)
MetaSpace > S-Max rear compartment
&
the following with height-adjustable suspensions;
low = for the street/highway/loading,
high = for not-so-softroading
:
Bronco > Escape rear compartment
Mariner > Everest rear compartment = Territory too??
^ all 5-doors ^
Mesa > T6 pickup cabin &(or just) bed

wonder if small front-only electrics could provide AWD-like traction? ...to keep the drivetrains simple

* I'm too superstitious to use THE NAME

edit:
Capri, Mariner, MetaSpace
1.5EB
2.0EB
2.3EB
2.7EB

Puma, Bronco, Mesa
2.0EB
2.3EB
2.7EB
5.0v8

one trim: al cantara upholstery with leather bolsters + various gizmo pkgs
& instead of Sync/MFT, 'just' integration of "bring-along" tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
Capri
Puma*
MetaSpace
Bronco
Mariner
Mesa
it occurs to me that at one time (like Model T times) that all of those would have been considered ONE vehicle - just with different 'coachwork'.
&
btw imho this 'lineup' is MUCH Less likely than the FalconThunderTaurusBird

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Focus RS WRC

Lincoln has too few vehicles what with only the MkZ, MkS, MkT, and Navigator and it needs to move up market. It needs a real 3 series fighter, which could be done easily on the Mustang platform especially when the GT and Boss 302 have been compared favorably to the M3; Lincoln's version should be a coupe, a sedan, and a convertible. I would want them powered by the 3.7L and the EB 3.5L. Also, a stretched Taurus would be a good place to start for a solid replacement for the Grand Marquis. Lastly, a Capri as both coupe and sedan based on the Focus would be a smart way to go. Sold on the shame floor as the Lincolns rounds out a nice selection of vehicles.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

^ short reply, T'Cal
otoh
-- imho the current XZST from Lincoln could super-easily have been Mercurys (some may say "ARE") ... also & especially my MKE(Focus**) & MKuGa might be even better as Mercs
(offtopic
-- without a Continental, Lincoln doesn't really even EXIST!)

** to my way of thinking the Focus, tho it may offer even more 'stuff' than I'd ever want cough*Titanium*cough,
just isn't "Nice" enough - in the way that Mercurys were a "bit nicer than" Fords

sent from my hurrying-me-out-door Public Library

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Focus RS WRC

There was a time in the mid 90's when I considered that maybe Mercury should work to become competition for BMW. Instead of names, I thought that the various models could all be designated XR-numbers. The coupes would be odd and the sedans even, such as XR-1 would be a subcompact coupe and XR-2 would be a subcompact sedan. The compact XR-3 (based on the Mustang platform) would be a BMW 3-series coupe fighter while the XR-4 would be the sedan version; I imagined a stretched model becoming the midsized XR-5 & XR-6. The large Cougar would become the XR-7 coupe to stand along side a sedan version of course called the XR-8. The XR-9 would've basically have been the fullsized Marauder sedan with no coupe version. The XR-1 & XR-2 would've been FWD and the rest RWD, but all Mercurys would've come with higher end standard features such as IRS, airbags, EFI, and ABS all standard.

Perhaps when Lincoln finally takes off and moves up market there will be room for Mercury of some sort again...

Buy American!
Buy Ford!
So say we all...
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Cal View Post
There was a time in the mid 90's when I considered that maybe Mercury should work to become competition for BMW. Instead of names, I thought that the various models could all be designated XR-numbers. The coupes would be odd and the sedans even, such as XR-1 would be a subcompact coupe and XR-2 would be a subcompact sedan. The compact XR-3 (based on the Mustang platform) would be a BMW 3-series coupe fighter while the XR-4 would be the sedan version; I imagined a stretched model becoming the midsized XR-5 & XR-6. The large Cougar would become the XR-7 coupe to stand along side a sedan version of course called the XR-8. The XR-9 would've basically have been the fullsized Marauder sedan with no coupe version. The XR-1 & XR-2 would've been FWD and the rest RWD, but all Mercurys would've come with higher end standard features such as IRS, airbags, EFI, and ABS all standard.

Perhaps when Lincoln finally takes off and moves up market there will be room for Mercury of some sort again...
belated
if I take your comparo to BMW to mean "not as plush" as MB or Lexoid, then that fits my 'vision' too dunno how many other Merc lovers agree...
...for me a big diff between 'M' & 'L' is that Lincoln *needs* to be a bit over the top -- to the point that I personally shouldN'T want one, not even a base model.

Wonder how high (large) it'll be possible to go if they wait until 2020 to reLaunch Mercury?

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 02:08 AM
Banned

This is very nice post. And its so informative for me. Thanks for sharing over here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mercury, riddle or heresy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page