this is a precursor/foreshadowing for a Mission 2020: Mercury! thread that I've been 1/2 pondering, 1/2 threatening...
prompted largely by
• the trucks
in the LincStang thread
• a lot of Lincoln-talk in the "ngM" nextgen Mustang thread
& some thought-provoking posts
• in the Buick Adam thread at GMI
plus various threads on
• BON, here's an example
saw a Lot of apologies for posting "heresy"
imho Mercury used to do a Lot of what GM has tried
to accomplish, at one time or another, with Buick, Opel, Pontiac, & Saturn ... and is STILL trying
I wonder if what WE are "cross-posting" about in not-quite-appropriate threads on FiN, may point to a need that Mercury might fill better than either Ford or Lincoln
the recurring question of expanding a lineup or Brand vs
(re)opening a sales channel/Brand to focus on those needs
paraphrasing, "...you WILL buy a Brand, despite any protestations, if at the right price point, the right car for you were only/best available from that Brand..."
- a lower-powered, more-affordable Mustang-like car
- a utility pickup-car...of whatever luxury level
- a pony-based sedan
- smaller than 'usual' lux/premium vehicles
- vehicles that Ford & Lincoln don't offer anymore-or-yet (Tbird, Lincoln "C" car)
- vehicles with new/alternative styling that may not suit established Brands
+ any other 'heresy' vehicles
thus the riddle(s):
• Could (some of) the above vehicular needs be the basis for a profitable 3rd Brand from Fomoco?
• Which 'niches'/'heresies' would work well together as a cohesive lineup?
• Could that Brand be a reborn Mercury?