Mission2020: The RETURN of MERCURY! - Page 18 - Ford Inside News Community
 74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 222 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:57 PM
Ford Ka

Re: Mission2020: The RETURN of MERCURY!

Mercury should be resurected as Fords electric car brand...

Long term established automakers will probably need a separate brand for electrics because of delarships...
Delarships have a financial intrest NOT to sell electric cars due to no maintance required and no engines and trannies to fail...
Also Tesla and other startups or new to America auto companies who can sell direct to consumers will have a huge financial advantage by bypassing the middle man...
Even if they cannot create their own company owned delarships/stores they can sell over the internet and have local service centers and give "test" rides through one day subsudised rentals with Hertz or the like...
2b2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 222 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

^ Welcome to the forum, 00yyz
& esp to Mission2020!!

here's the link-back I mentioned: features & models
from (just) a few pages back
& an even more recent posting of imagined drivetrains
...I still believe pure BEVs are expensive enough to be Lincolns,
hybrids are cheap enough to be Fords, thus Merc might special in plug-ins
with some overlap -- which imho is more-than-OK since Merc can also utilize Lux-content and sizes for differentiation, or as I prefer to say: "Tailoring" to customers, for example, whose needs are Not quite met by the current dichotomy in sizes below increasingly 'big/fluffy' midsize Cuvs & sedans

all just-imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
^...I still think Vignale will be the Mercury replacement brand, as Lincoln moves further up-market. Where we can have a Lincoln - Vignale tie in, where Vignale shares architectures with Lincoln models. Helping distance the Ford brand even further. Instead of Vignale being upgraded Fords, Vignale can become the overtly performance luxury versions of Lincolns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaase View Post
Buick only survives because of China. The Enclave and Encore sell pretty well, but Buick's cars are flops in the US. Ford needs no more brands. Even old Henry wanted to get rid of Lincoln and Mercury after World War II.
just-imho
*IF* there is a Return to a 3rd Brand, Any 3rd Brand,
there are major benefits to the strongest and most-instant recognition possible
&
I don't see a foreign word like Vee-Nyah-lay being a good choice
+
esp *if* the architecture (philosophorm in 2b2-speak) is shared specifically-or-more with Lincoln than the Ford Brand (not sure HOW),
That would be an additional reason to revive the hiatus'ed part of Lincoln-Mercury

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 08-02-2016 at 06:51 PM. Reason: modified my fonetic thingie for "VIGGnail"
post #173 of 222 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Ford Kuga

Garage

Mercury shouldn't be brought back at all; especially not in a manner that will make Ford's already-struggling hybrid and electric lineup lag further. If Ford wants to make money off of electrification, the new 200+mile EV will be the golden ticket, not a car marketed under a dead brand with zero brand identity, no dealer network, and a muddied reputation.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead

post #174 of 222 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 11:47 PM
Ford Ka

"No dealer network" is not a problem it is a big solution if your competion does not have one and you do as they will act as a middle man scimming your profits...
Plus dealerships have a vested interest in NOT selling electric cars...
Delearships will probably want/need to make 2k or more off of every electric car...
All things being equal a Tesla will cost a couple grand less with no delarship in the middle...
Plus their are several other startups or new to America auto companies on the way who will most likely follow Teslas lead and only have company stores...
Long term survival will be an issue for all companies who have a middle man...

I dont think the other issues are realy issues if you have a compeling product...
2b2 likes this.
post #175 of 222 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

I'll just say what a wise poster once said,
"Every Brand is an Opportunity"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #176 of 222 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

via AutoVerdict
Report: Mercedes to Create Sub-Brand of Electric Vehicles to Challenge BMW and Tesla

Mercedes Is About to Unveil an Entire Fleet of Electric Vehicles
Bloomberg

Elisabeth Behrmann & Christoph Rauwald - August 4, 2016

Mercedes-Benz is planning its own distinct line of electric vehicles, challenging BMW and Tesla Motors Inc. in a bet that alternative-fuel cars have the potential to become profitable...

...Mercedes will create a new sub-brand for the cars, though a name hasn’t been chosen yet, one of the people said. Chief Executive Officer Dieter Zetsche said in June that the company planned to unveil an electric car at the Paris motor show in September.

Tesla’s success with the Model S sedan increased the pressure on other luxury-car makers...

...The prototype set to be introduced in September will be an SUV capable of driving about 500 kilometers (310) miles on a single charge. It will also show the distinct design Mercedes has developed to set its electric cars apart.

Mercedes’ previous efforts to establish clean-driving cars had mixed results. A fuel-cell version of the B-Class sold few vehicles because of a patchy refueling network and high costs. Otherwise, the brand restricted itself to electric versions of existing models such as Smart and the boxy B-Class, which had a 155-kilometer range.

BMW’s earnings this week showed some positive potential for electric-car sales. A new version of the i3 city car helped push deliveries of alternative-drive vehicles up 87 percent in the first half, the company said.

post #177 of 222 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Ford Ka

Serisouly?? "In a bet that alternative-fuel cars have the potential to become profitable..."

Established billion dollar auto companies have stock holders to answer to so if they are creating an entire fleet of EVs and creating a new brand it is a safe bet they know their EVs will be profitable from day 1...
Plus Mercedes is also making a EV Semi...
http://insideevs.com/mercedes-benz-c...truck-segment/
2b2 likes this.
post #178 of 222 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
Is the hatch back?
Hatchbacks are projected to post
the biggest growth among bodystyles
as a % of total U.S. light-vehicle sales.

___________ Projected
2015 share - 2020 share - Body style -- %change
04.8% ______ 6.6% ____ Hatchbacks___37.5%
36.8% _____ 39.8% ____ Suv/Cuvs _____8.2%
02.7% ______ 2.8% ____ Coupes _______3.7%
01.1% ______ 1.1% ____ Wagons ______ none
14.6% _____ 14.0% ____ Pickups______-4.1%
33.1% _____ 29.3% ____ Sedans _____ –11.5%
Source: IHS Automotive
a bunch of articles about minivans (of all things)
Time.com/Money
WSJ
Bloomberg ...re-colorized by me

- - - - - - -

meanwhile (or, 'formerly', 2015)...
Why This Might Be the Beginning of the End for the Toyota Prius
Time.com/Money

Brad Tuttle - Jan. 6, 2015
...in 2014, Prius sales plummeted—and cheap gas is only part of the reason why...

&but
posted just a week ago in the cD6/A.M.P thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2nd Coming of the MiniVan.jpg (65.5 KB, 121 views)

post #179 of 222 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 01:26 PM
Ford Ka

I would not write off the Prius just yet as the sales are off 14 % vs a year ago but the whole mid size car segment is down 11% vs a year ago...
Although I dont think standard hybrids make any sense with out a plug since after the federal tax credit the plug in models are either a little more or less depending on the model...
Plus plug in hybrids can give a lot of electric only driving for a standard comute if you are able to plug them in...
2b2 likes this.
post #180 of 222 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 01:50 PM
Ford Ka

Looking at the chart and comparing it to good car bad car sales figures I have to conclude Bloomberg doesnt know how to correctly make a spreadsheet and or chart or they have a different definition of the segments...
Looking at total vehicle sales they are up .5 % vs a year ago (chart shows down 12 %) and sub compacts are down 2 % vs a year ago (chart also shows down 12 %) but up 4 % for August vs a year ago....
When lookining at January sales vs August that doesnt look right to me either as far as their graph is concerned...
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2016/09...s-results.html
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2016/09...gust-2016.html

Plus I think they logic for minivan sales is probably faulty which is too bad as minivans make sense to me and SUVs dont...
Minivan sales were down 1 % in August vs a year ago while minvan sales were up 25 % in January vs a year ago...
There are only eight minivan models so when a product has a huge change it can make a difference...
The early year sales boost could be nothing more than Chrysler dumping product with huge rebates ahead of their new Pacifica model...
If minivans are coming back that will be shown more the rest of the year since Chryslers change over is mostly complete...
2b2 likes this.

Last edited by 00yyz; 09-11-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mercury, mission2020, return

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page