Mercury to Return Later...yes or no? - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: Mercury to Return Later...yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Cal View Post
That's because Chevy represents value and performance, Buick near luxury, and Cadillac near luxury and luxury. Ford could represent value with a few FWD performance models (ST, SHO, etc.) along with the Mustang, Mercury could be all out RWD performance, and Lincoln could be near luxury and luxury.
You could go further and bring back Edsel to be the all electric brand. Just because you can do something doesn't make it the right thing to do. There is literally nothing being done by Ford at this time that requires a second brand, Lincoln included, so why waste the extra money in promoting additional brands. Lincoln makes sense only in that they are attempting to rebuild it to the point where it will truly be unique and offer that which a Ford brand could not.

GM is having the same issues, the Impala is every bit as good as the LaCross. Buick will in time also be made redundant with only its popularity in China keeping it alive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 03:53 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
...There is literally nothing being done by Ford at this time that requires a second brand, Lincoln included, so why waste the extra money in promoting additional brands...
& There is literally nothing being said by anyone at this time about bringing back Mercury NOW
however
along the lines of those saying Lincoln critique-ers are doing it out of love/desire;
imho
anyone who truly has FAITH in Lincoln's potential, practically has to see the benefit of The (eventual) RETURN of MERCURY ... inevitable!!!
((& re: Edsel
a 3 year lifespan has No relation to a 70 (SEVENTY!) year heritage))

and.......................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed753 View Post
Not a chance, and no reason to either.................

Look at all the trouble GM has, trying to split the hair that is; Chevy/Buick/Cadillac.
^

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Cal View Post
That's because Chevy represents value and performance, Buick near luxury, and Cadillac near luxury and luxury. Ford could represent value with a few FWD performance models (ST, SHO, etc.) along with the Mustang, Mercury could be all out RWD performance, and Lincoln could be near luxury and luxury.
I have mixed feelings about this^
really would prefer to see the top LincStang, Continental, and Navi/Aviator have 700hp = 4.0/5.0v8EB + electrics for AWD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 03:24 AM
Focus RS WRC

2 things in life are guaranteed.....

Death

and Mercury staying Dead.

post #14 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 08:26 AM
Ford Explorer

as they should
post #15 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Ford Flex

Quote:
from elsewhere today

Quote Originally Posted by THE_Shmoderator

Eh, I don't really care if Lincoln outsells Cadillac. I doubt Lincoln cares either. Nor should they. If they develop a small group of sustainable vehicles that sell at a premium and at as good or a better profit margin than their Ford stablemates, then the division is doing its job.

Total sales don't matter.
Market share doesn't matter.
Good reviews don't matter.

Does the brand continue to bring in money that the Ford brand alone could not? If the answer to that question is 'yes', then everything else is irrelevant. We'll see what that answer is in the coming years.
If all that matters is profit, or return of investment, then why does Ford keep Europe going?
It is because Ford knows that in a few years, Europe can be profitable again.

Ford needs to give Lincoln a REAL chance, and not give a lick about profit for the next four or five years. Lincoln needs to offer unique and exclusive vehicles as soon as they can, and figure out how to make a profit later. Does anyone really want to buy a Lincoln that is a Ford with simulated luxury at a bloated price to make a 'proper' profit?
All the slick advertisements and dealership coddling won't make up for the cars Ford is trying to pass off as Lincolns, that should really be Mercurys.
Oh, and Lincoln does not need to offer exactly what Germany and Cadillac offers, and still be luxury. It needs to pave the way to a new definition of a luxury vehicle, and invest in what truly makes a difference for their customers.
Yes, Mercury can make a comeback, but only if Lincoln stops being a 3/4 luxury company.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
post #16 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 10:47 AM
FIN Staff Member

With the Ford brand moving more upscale, it has filled the space that Mercury held. With Lincoln working the midlevel luxury market and moving up in that space.
post #17 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
With the Ford brand moving more upscale, it has filled the space that Mercury held. With Lincoln working the midlevel luxury market and moving up in that space.
The problem with Ford moving upscale it hurts Lincoln's uniqueness. I said it once and I will say it again, there is NO reason why a Ford should have a heated steering wheel or heated rear seats or a power rear sun shade... those should all be LINCOLN features. The MKS does not have much over the Taurus except a double panel moon roof and Lincoln Drive Control but still costs 10k more... are those features worth 10k?

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #18 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 12:43 PM
FIN Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
The problem with Ford moving upscale it hurts Lincoln's uniqueness. I said it once and I will say it again, there is NO reason why a Ford should have a heated steering wheel or heated rear seats or a power rear sun shade... those should all be LINCOLN features. The MKS does not have much over the Taurus except a double panel moon roof and Lincoln Drive Control but still costs 10k more... are those features worth 10k?
Why dumb down the Ford brand when Lincoln has the ability to offer more standard and optional features?

Brands advance over time...... Where were you when Ford came out with leather seats, sunroofs, heated and cooled seats, etc.?
post #19 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
When those features exist in the same segment on a Toyota, Nissan, VW, or a Hyundai then the Ford must also be competitive. A Ford cannot be dumbed down in comparison to its competition in order to protect Lincoln. Lincoln must excel to such a level that Ford, and by extension Toyota, Nissan, VW, and Hyundai are not a threat. Ford/Lincoln cannot set the market, the market sets the expectations and it is Ford's job to meet them, or in Lincoln's case, exceed them.

If you think the overlap between Ford and Lincoln it to large then imagine the clusterf'ck that would exist when they try to wedge Mercury in between them. The simple existence of Mercury is no guarantee that Lincoln's move upward will be either more successful nor faster.
post #20 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
Why dumb down the Ford brand when Lincoln has the ability to offer more standard and optional features?

Brands advance over time...... Where were you when Ford came out with leather seats, sunroofs, heated and cooled seats, etc.?
I am not saying they need to dumb down the brand but what I am saying is they shouldn't offer the SAME EXACT FEATURES. What is the point of Ford offering the SAME features as Lincoln and offering at a 10k discount.

Example:
Self parking is a GREAT example of a feature that should be Lincoln only
The hidden keyless entry keypad should be Lincoln only
Power Running boards on the Navigator should have been exclusive
I could go on with more.

I have no problem with Ford getting some of these features over time but first EVERY Lincoln should get these features and have them for a while before Ford starts getting them.

The only feature Lincoln has that is exclusive right now is the Panoramic sunroof which is only on the MKZ and Lincoln Drive Control which is on the MKZ, MKS, and MKT.

Name me 15 exclusive features on the MKZ that the Fusion doesn't have and tell me if that justifies the price bump same with the MKS and the Taurus same with the MKT and Flex... even worse with the Expedition and Navigator.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
lateryes, mercury, return

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page