Lincoln Would've Been Axed Without Support From New Ford CEO Mark Fields - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
Re: Lincoln Would've Been Axed Without Support From New Ford CEO Mark Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
It may have been a later model or a special edition one, but I'm 100% sure the early ones had fake wood on the center console.
Early Mark VIIIs didn't have wood

it wasn't till about 1995 when they added it but when they did it was all genuine wood inserts on the dash

Quote:
Interior: Dual airbags, rear center armrest, cigarette lighter-front and rear, center console w/real wood trim, ashtrays-1 front (lighted) and 2 rear, color-keyed leather shifter, front storage bin, rear defrost on/off switch, vinyl door panels w/map pockets and intergrated armrests, color-keyed switchgear, Driver's side footrest, lockable lighted glovebox, rear seat heat ducts, 4-way adjustable head restraints, Analog instrumentation (speedometer,tachometer,fuel, temperature), Message center, Leather seats w/6-way power, 3-user driver's seat memory, power lumbar, leather-wrapped steering wheel, Tilt-steering wheel, Dual lighted vanity sunvisors with secondary sunvisors

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 04:55 PM
FIN Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
Early Mark VIIIs didn't have wood

it wasn't till about 1995 when they added it but when they did it was all genuine wood inserts on the dash

I remember my aunt's from 14-15 years ago, and the wood looked and felt very fake. It could have been the process they were using.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
I remember my aunt's from 14-15 years ago, and the wood looked and felt very fake. It could have been the process they were using.
That's possible the wood in my LS is all real also but feels fake (switch from fake plastic wood was in 2003). The processes they use now are much better. Too much of that gloss layer can definitely make it feel fake.

Previous Cars
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 09:50 PM
FIN Moderator

Quote:
That's possible the wood in my LS is all real also but feels fake (switch from fake plastic wood was in 2003). The processes they use now are much better. Too much of that gloss layer can definitely make it feel fake.
Did the original S-Type have fake wood, too?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 10:23 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
The high gloss finishes they used on real wood in the past removed all texture to the point that well done plastic wood was nearly undetectable. I much prefer the matte finish on the wood in modern vehicles that retains grain texture!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Did the original S-Type have fake wood, too?
Wasn't 100% sure but here's a quote I found on an S-Type webwsite about the first model introduced in 99 as a 2000:

Quote:
Introduced in 1999 as a 2000 model, the S-Type marked the first time since the 60s when Jaguar offered more than one saloon line to its customers.
Priced about $ 10 000 below the XJ8, the S-type's interior still features real wood veneers and Connoly leather used in more contemporary fashion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
The high gloss finishes they used on real wood in the past removed all texture to the point that well done plastic wood was nearly undetectable. I much prefer the matte finish on the wood in modern vehicles that retains grain texture!
Some gloss isn't bad but when they overdo it you're right fake plastic feels the same.

Here are some shots of the wood in my LS, you can tell it's real because of the pattern and really see the layers in the shifter. Also if you were to look at another LS the pattern would be totally different. I remember when shopping I was looking at an 03 and the trim on the steering wheel looked like it almost had gold flakes in the wood it was a lighter shade than what's in mine.

You can see the high gloss in mine.

Previous Cars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
axed, ceo, fields, ford, lincoln, mark, support, wouldve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page