Rumor Mill: Lincoln Aviator to Return on D6 - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 01:36 PM
Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitBORG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
New platform for Explorer and Aviator is expected to be RWD.
There is absolutely no way Explorer will be RWD, we are probably looking at a platform that can handle larger EcoBoost engines and a more advanced AWD system to put the power down, but will primarily be a FWD architecture in its most basic form. In reality it's a derivative of CD4 which can be scaled up to replace Explorer's beefed up D4. The origin of this platform rumor has been twisted a bit since the original leak, but Ford is the primary customer here, not Lincoln.
Every article that has mentioned this platform has said its modular meaning it can be used in many applications with alterations. The current cd4 was supposed to have that same ability to have different drive configurations. This is pretty much fact at this point, we heard about a new GT years ago and you were the one saying it was just a rumor (how about now). You know no more than us your words aren't fact at some point ford has to invest more money into Lincoln especially if the contribute more to the bottom line. Lincoln has some interesting vehicles in the pipeline as a Lincoln fan you should be happy but you always come in with this anti Lincoln view and down play anything they do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Re: Rumor Mill: Lincoln Aviator to Return on D6

My prediction is that D6 will be a beefed up CD4 and that the 2019 Explorer/Aviator will be FWD/AWD. Ford has given us many reasons over the past 20 years to downplay what it does.

My preference is that D6 be RWD/AWD and be used for Explorer/Aviator; a LWB version used to replace Expedition/Navigator; and Ford offer the 7 passenger Edge in the US.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 02:35 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarredKnightfan View Post
Wait ... if the new Aviator is based on the Explorer, that would mean it would also switch to FWD from RWD, right? *sighs* I hope not...SMH!
imho
the Aviator can only switch from dead-&-gone NWD = NoWheelDumped
to ALIVE at this point

besides, this is about what will be built off the MAGIC platform = D6/CD6
awd +fwd +rwd
_NO^_relations_to_American_Pharoah_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post

The design language used by the MKX Concept and Continental Concept is very much the same. The major difference is the design of to very different vehicles. One a low riding, wide, long sedan, the other a more uptight and tall CUV. But both easily identifiable as a new Lincoln. The only major design element variance is the grille. I would expect Lincoln to continue their focus on ensuring there are no shared body panels with the Ford sibling, and the Navigator should look as radically different from the Expedition as the MKX from the Edge.
all I'd say is that their styles are not antagonistically opposed

the only strong similarity imho are the HL lamps, not even the HLs' overall shape
IMHO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 02:40 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Ford has 1 platform right now that is flexible like that and it's the full size Transit platform. You can get those in FWD, RWD, or AWD. Could they apply what they use their to D6? Possibly! But will they is the question.

The big question I have is will D6 be Aluminum intensive.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 05:15 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaase View Post
My prediction is that D6 will be a beefed up CD4 and that the 2019 Explorer/Aviator will be FWD/AWD. Ford has given us many reasons over the past 20 years to downplay what it does.

My preference is that D6 be RWD/AWD and be used for Explorer/Aviator; a LWB version used to replace Expedition/Navigator; and Ford offer the 7 passenger Edge in the US.
If the rumored D6 is truly capable of FWD, RWD, and AWD then the next Explorer should continue to be FWD/AWD while the Aviator goes the RWD/AWD route. Same with the next Taurus/Continental and Fusion/Zephyr!
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

I really hope that the Flex gets another generation, I'm seeing them more commonly out here in the Northwest.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 08:27 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
If the rumored D6 is truly capable of FWD, RWD, and AWD then the next Explorer should continue to be FWD/AWD while the Aviator goes the RWD/AWD route. Same with the next Taurus/Continental and Fusion/Zephyr!
Now that would be awesome.

2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium - Medium Royal Blue
2008 Mercury Sable Premier - Light Ice Blue
2014 Buick Lacrosse Leather Group - Quicksilver
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 08:32 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanatWork View Post
I really hope that the Flex gets another generation, I'm seeing them more commonly out here in the Northwest.
I agree. I really like the Flex as well as the MKT I just prefer the grilles from the 2009-2012 models better. Personally I'd take a Flex over an Explorer any day.

2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium - Medium Royal Blue
2008 Mercury Sable Premier - Light Ice Blue
2014 Buick Lacrosse Leather Group - Quicksilver
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 09:22 PM
News Guru

Quote:
AMEN!
nothing else to say! SP should be working at Ford and Lincoln! haha
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 09:22 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
I'll believe it if/when Ford announces it. I don't know how much in common the European RWD Transit has in common with the FWD Transit Custom. After the debacle of GM's Zeta program, the flop of its Alpha program, and the demise of Ford's DEW98 program, I don't get excited over this stuff like you young fellows do. At one time, DEW98 was supposed to replace all of Ford's biggest cars, and all we got was the LS, which was another Ford flop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aviator, explorer, ford, lincoln, mill, return, rumor, rumored, twin, upscale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page