2017 Continental Spied Uncovered! - Page 12 - Ford Inside News Community
 774Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 585 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 04:17 PM
Focus RS WRC

Re: 2017 Continental Spied Uncovered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
That wouldn't really be correct either in the 50s the Lincoln Capri was more performance oriented and competed in the Pan American Road Race and won 3 or 4 in a row for it's class out performing Cadillac and other luxury brands.

I think you're missing what I'm saying. I am aware of Lincoln's performance history. What I'm saying is that Lincoln didn't begin with performance vehicles. That was never what a "Lincoln" was supposed to be. Did they have performance vehicles? Absolutely but that was AFTER American luxury makers (Cadillac, Lincoln, etc.) began to dilute their brands in a sense to make luxury cars affordable to the booming middle class at that time, which eventually led to them all really following each others lead when it came to design, content, performance, etc. For example, their was a dramatic shift in American luxury design after Lincoln debuted the continental. Cadillac went from huge sharp tail fins and bling everywhere to more slabsided, toned down, "looks just like a chevy" designs. Of course brands grow and they change with the times but I don't think Lincoln will ever try to be a performance oriented brand like BMW or like Cadillac is kind of morphing into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 585 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 04:21 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
I'm probably in the minority but I like the rear end treatment of the Mark IV but that front overhang is disgusting. The Mark III looked better since the wheels were pushed forward more and had less front overhang.

The Mark III is one of my favorite Lincolns.
I bought a 70 T-Bird earlier this year, I never knew how much they shared until now. Somedays I think about selling my T-Bird and getting a Mark III but I heard they can be a nightmare in terms of repairs, parts, etc... Not that my Bird is any better
post #113 of 585 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 04:24 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwll313wll View Post
I think you're missing what I'm saying. I am aware of Lincoln's performance history. What I'm saying is that Lincoln didn't begin with performance vehicles. That was never what a "Lincoln" was supposed to be. Did they have performance vehicles? Absolutely but that was AFTER American luxury makers (Cadillac, Lincoln, etc.) began to dilute their brands in a sense to make luxury cars affordable to the booming middle class at that time, which eventually led to them all really following each others lead when it came to design, content, performance, etc. For example, their was a dramatic shift in American luxury design after Lincoln debuted the continental. Cadillac went from huge sharp tail fins and bling everywhere to more slabsided, toned down, "looks just like a chevy" designs. Of course brands grow and they change with the times but I don't think Lincoln will ever try to be a performance oriented brand like BMW or like Cadillac is kind of morphing into.
No I get what you are saying I am just correcting the general statement of Lincoln never aiming for performance. I think it's great Lincoln is focusing on these aspects but I still think Lincoln should offer higher output for those who want it instead of closing the door on them. Look at the new MKZ and the 3.0 I think that an excellent example of what I would like them to do. 400/400 is a great BASE for the Continental however large cars in this class do offer some higher performance variants. No it doesn't need to be 500 or 600 HP but 450 or 475 would be a nice option.
2b2 and mercury_1988 like this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

post #114 of 585 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 04:34 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
No I get what you are saying I am just correcting the general statement of Lincoln never aiming for performance. I think it's great Lincoln is focusing on these aspects but I still think Lincoln should offer higher output for those who want it instead of closing the door on them. Look at the new MKZ and the 3.0 I think that an excellent example of what I would like them to do. 400/400 is a great BASE for the Continental however large cars in this class do offer some higher performance variants. No it doesn't need to be 500 or 600 HP but 450 or 475 would be a nice option.
You're right, I agree with you. I think I was just thinking about Lincoln as a whole and not individual cars. But we're on the same page. I for one hope and pray they bring along a Mark 9 with that same quiet luxury philosophy with the engine to back it up... Like a Rolls Royce Ghost for us everyday people. When I think about Lincoln, and what I want them to be, I think about the middle mans Roll Royce.
2b2, Andrew L and hbmf3 like this.
post #115 of 585 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 04:47 PM
Ford Explorer

I am actually thinking about a 1970 Mark III Coupe.
My favorite Lincoln ever. 500ftlbs of big Ford block power. Check out the interior below, and take note of the door hinges at about the 1:20sec mark. Wow.

mercury_1988, Andrew L and hbmf3 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #116 of 585 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 04:54 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
My favorite Lincoln ever. 500ftlbs of big Ford block power. Check out the interior below, and take note of the door hinges at about the 1:20sec mark. Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kbYKDU-rZs
Wings me and you agree big time the Mark III is one of my favorite Lincolns.

One thing I find absolutely interesting about the old Marks (III to V) were the location of the climate controls.... to the LEFT of the steering wheel. It was almost like a big FU to the passenger haha remember this is the DRIVERS car passenger just sits there.
wingsnut and hbmf3 like this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #117 of 585 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 04:56 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kbYKDU-rZs

Nice!!! I'd love to own that!

I payed for a 70 Mark III last year, dark in color with gold interior... The seller never gave me the car! I had to sue him, he never showed at court and I still don't have my money or my car even though I won the case.

Here's the closest thing to my T-Bird online... except mine is in need of a lot more work.

post #118 of 585 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 04:58 PM
Ford Explorer

Nice bird will, real nice.

And agreed Andrew, although I never really noticed the HVAC controls location before, lol.
Andrew L likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #119 of 585 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 05:02 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Stop it, 400/400 as a base? I just don't understand the number envy. That is more power than legit premium brand base for similar sized vehicles.

IMO the 2.3 as a base at a little over 300/300 is perfect and the 3.0 at just over 400/400 is right where it needs to be. That kind of power is going to pin you to your seat, it doesn't need to make your eyes bleed.
falcon lover likes this.
post #120 of 585 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 05:02 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Wings me and you agree big time the Mark III is one of my favorite Lincolns.

One thing I find absolutely interesting about the old Marks (III to V) were the location of the climate controls.... to the LEFT of the steering wheel. It was almost like a big FU to the passenger haha remember this is the DRIVERS car passenger just sits there.
Haha I've never thought about the climate control placement...
Mark III ftw!

Top 5 Lincolns in order.... (outside of modern Lincolns)

1. 69' Continental 4dr
2. Mark II
3. 92 Mark VII LSC SE
4. 71 Mark III
5. 88 Town Car

Proud to say that before I turned 22 (24 now) I've owned 2 of those vehicles listed.
2b2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page