2017 Lincoln Continental Caught in the Wild - Page 9 - Ford Inside News Community
 267Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 224 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 12:49 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: 2017 Lincoln Continental Caught in the Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellanca4.2 View Post
Does anyone think with the Mustang getting pushed up to 2020(potentially) that we will then see a RWD Lincoln coupe/sedan?
I personally think a Lincoln based S650 is the only reason the next Mustang has been pushed forward. So to answer your question, yes, yes I do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 224 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 01:04 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellanca4.2 View Post
Does anyone think with the Mustang getting pushed up to 2020(potentially) that we will then see a RWD Lincoln coupe/sedan?
YUP!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #83 of 224 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 08:30 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Everyone decries the lack of a Lincstang with this generation Mustang. I believe that is short sighted.

A) The Lincoln brand is not ready to support that.
B) The platform, as it exists today, is not ready to support a Lincoln product.

There is a level of NVH that needs to happen with a luxury product, no matter how well it performs. The current Mustang platform does not live up to those requirements. When they are serious about a Lincoln variant, they will make sure that this is baked in.

This is no different than Lincoln producing a $300K Bentley competitor right now. While I am sure that Lincoln / Ford could do it, the brand is in no way ready for it, and all the wishful thinking in the world will not change that fact.
wingsnut and 2b2 like this.

post #84 of 224 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 10:41 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
This is no different than Lincoln producing a $300K Bentley competitor right now. While I am sure that Lincoln / Ford could do it, the brand is in no way ready for it, and all the wishful thinking in the world will not change that fact.
I'm not so sure that Ford/Lincoln can do it.

It's not that the brand is no way ready for it. Lincoln dealers are no way ready for it.
post #85 of 224 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 10:46 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Which vehicle available today do you believe offers "great handling" and "smooth quietness"? Is it not all relative? I mean, when I think of great handling, a Ford GT or Ferrari comes to mind. Neither of which offers smooth quietness. And when I think of a smooth and quiet ride, I think of Rolls Royce, Bentley, etc. Neither of which would offer anything close to great handling. So again, it's all relative. Many vehicles COMPROMISE something to EXCEED at the other. Which was my point. They are mutually exclusive, to a degree. You will never make a lightweight 3000 lb handling machining feel like a 5000 lb bank vault of quiet smoothness. Simple physics.
When last have you driven a 7-series or an S-klasse? Simple engineering.
post #86 of 224 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 11:39 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
When last have you driven a 7-series or an S-klasse? Simple engineering.
Been a few years, but, which of those exactly would you consider being a 'great handling' car.

Yeah, either would I.
Physics gets in the way of that. Quite simply.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #87 of 224 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 02:53 AM
Ford Kuga

Garage

While I'm not too keen on sucking off the Germans like some other folks on the internet, I have to disagree with you here, @wingsnut. The 7 Series is the perfect example of a quiet and sexy lux boat that actually handles great. Also the CT6 has been met with very positive reviews regarding chassis. There actually is a really solid middle ground that doesn't involve much compromise at all in the realm of lux vs performance. Plenty have plenty of both. The 7 series weighs 4,225 lb. The renown Nissan GTR weighs ~3,900 pounds. Put a kid in the back seat and a buddy in the front seat of a GTR and it won't handle much worse than a GTR with just you in it, regardless of the extra 300 pounds. +4,200 pounds can be made to handle on rails with the proper setup. Physics don't really get in the way of that too much.

Sure its no F40, but it still handles good enough that most people would comfortably consider its handing "great."
wingsnut, 2b2 and glyphics like this.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead
post #88 of 224 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 08:16 AM
Ford Sport Ka

All valid points for and against, I believe, but I see Lincoln move more in the Rolls Royce direction. Luxury barges good drive for its weight and size that surrounds you in luxury... Just look at the design direction.. Even with 800HP you not going to mistake the new Lincolns for speed demons. Those designs look like it's meant to strut...
wingsnut likes this.
post #89 of 224 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 11:23 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
While I'm not too keen on sucking off the Germans like some other folks on the internet, I have to disagree with you here, @wingsnut. The 7 Series is the perfect example of a quiet and sexy lux boat that actually handles great. Also the CT6 has been met with very positive reviews regarding chassis. There actually is a really solid middle ground that doesn't involve much compromise at all in the realm of lux vs performance. Plenty have plenty of both. The 7 series weighs 4,225 lb. The renown Nissan GTR weighs ~3,900 pounds. Put a kid in the back seat and a buddy in the front seat of a GTR and it won't handle much worse than a GTR with just you in it, regardless of the extra 300 pounds. +4,200 pounds can be made to handle on rails with the proper setup. Physics don't really get in the way of that too much.

Sure its no F40, but it still handles good enough that most people would comfortably consider its handing "great."
Thanks for the input gj, but I feel I need to reiterate that it still comes down to relativity. You just compared a mega-hp AWD performance coupe, straddled with 2 occupants as coming close to a 7 series with a wimpy (relative) V6 engine and NO occupants. When you do that same math with a more powerful 750i V8 and AWD, it weighs 4800lbs, minus any occupants. And it still will in no way even come close to the handling performance (certainly not acceleration either) of the Nissan. So again, relativity. Yeah, a $100K 7 series has impressive engineering, luxury and even decent handling. But yet again, there are compromises relative to physics and engineering priority (mass, wheelbase, shifting, steering, ride, center gravity, etc.)

And back to my primary point, that a focused engineering effort on smooth and quiet luxury is somewhat divergent from a similar focus on handling prowess. And although the Conti's main goal is quiet luxury, it still will have the specs (at least on paper and relatively) of putting down impressive performance numbers with +400hp, new variable dampening/controlled suspension and a performance AWD system. So relativity comes back into play, that even though it will be more than capable for the average luxury sedan buyer, it's main objective is elsewhere. And that is what I can't wait to experience.
SP1966 likes this.

Last edited by wingsnut; 04-03-2016 at 11:35 AM.
post #90 of 224 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 12:57 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
And back to my primary point, that a focused engineering effort on smooth and quiet luxury is somewhat divergent from a similar focus on handling prowess. And although the Conti's main goal is quiet luxury, it still will have the specs (at least on paper and relatively) of putting down impressive performance numbers with +400hp, new variable dampening/controlled suspension and a performance AWD system. So relativity comes back into play, that even though it will be more than capable for the average luxury sedan buyer, it's main objective is elsewhere. And that is what I can't wait to experience.
I agree with the other poster, you can have your cake and eat it too. On the other hand I believe the Continental, based upon the CD4 that has been reviewed as one of the best handling FWD based platforms available, it going to provide a more capable drivers experience than 90+% of large sedan buyers are likely to use.

The Continental will stack up poorly when it's put up against cars like the CTS/CT6/7-Series and the like on a track and pushed hard. The Continental will represent itself very well IMO when it's taken for a spirited drive on a curvy, winding country or mountain road. People aren't buying the 7-Series/CTS nor will they be buying the CT6 for track day fun, nor will they buy the Continental for such play.

The Continental's biggest problem is going to be perception, not performance.
2b2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page