"It's Time for Lincoln to Resurrect Big Coupe" - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community
 110Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 04:45 PM
Focus RS WRC

Re: "It's Time for Lincoln to Resurrect Big Coupe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhogie View Post
If Ford allows Lincoln to build a Mark coupe, maybe then Ford will consider building a Thunderbird Coupe. That would make me happy!
Me, too ... but the Thunderbird MUST stay true to its RWD roots.

I much prefer coupes & often wonder if the "lacking market" for coupes is more so because automakers have TOLD us what we "want".

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 79 CC to 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis?!
"Get the word out" __ Collective Soul __ 'Better Now'
2b2 and djhogie like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 05:14 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ I frequently have all sorts of paranoid thoughts
but
re: coupes, imho it's more that U.S peeps adopted the Ferengis' Rules of Acquisition as their guiding scripture (inevitably = Cuvs)
as opposed to the unwritten-but-sung Age of Aquarius youth manifesto

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 03-13-2016 at 05:18 PM.
post #23 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 09:04 AM
Ford Kuga

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
I'm not suggesting Cadillac was wrong either, it's just that their product cost/expense got ahead of their brands ability to support it.

Regarding the Continental, I think it's the best lemonade they could make with the lemons Ford has given them. I believe Ford's next generation platform(s) are being designed with Lincoln's requirements in mind rather than tacked on at the end. Thus I think we won't truly know what Ford's plans for Lincoln truly are until D6 based product begins showing up.

I'm guessing the problem with S550 was as with CD4, it had a singular focus, Ford, or in it's case, Mustang. I think S550 lacked the flexibility to do what Lincoln wanted and they instead focused their energy and finances on S650. This could also explain why S650 has been rumored to appear a couple years early.

This generation of Lincoln has to be looked at in terms of small victories, not big wins. Ford did not posses the platform to build truly world class Lincolns, which is probably fine because like Cadillac, Lincoln's brand wasn't ready to sell them anyways.
I might just post this in my signature for all to read everywhere, including GMI.
2b2 likes this.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead

post #24 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 09:59 AM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhogie View Post
If Ford allows Lincoln to build a Mark coupe, maybe then Ford will consider building a Thunderbird Coupe. That would make me happy!
I think after Lincoln has the new Large Sedan, which would mean we would have a New MKC, New MKZ, New Navigator, New Aviator New Continental and refreshed MKX in the lineup. Along with the implementation of the 9 and 10-speed transmissions, and with the New FWD, AWD and RWD Hybrid drivetrains. Lincoln especially will be loaded up with their best products. So at that point, launching a halo car, celebrating Lincoln luxury type 'Mark' coupe and/or convertible could work.
falcon lover, 2b2, djhogie and 2 others like this.
post #25 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 12:45 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

someone at BON said they saw an MKX with the new grille in the Detroit area
"...
Saturday night there was also a MKX out with front camo, for when they switch to the new Lincoln front end."
&
wonder if the "large sedan" could be/include electric/electrified? (since afaik most e-vehicles will be on the smaller A.M.P/C# architecture)
Bloggin and ThomasWC like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 01:53 PM
Ford Mondeo

Garage

Although I don't see it happening anytime soon I would love to see a big Lincoln coupe. I do feel these will return again as Mercedes has there S-Class and Lexus just debuted their LC500, plus rumors circulating of an 8-Series revival. I think Lincoln could do well to offer if big luxury coupe with a much cheaper price when compared to the others.
post #27 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 02:10 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
I might just post this in my signature for all to read everywhere, including GMI.
What's your username at GMI? And if you were to use that post in your signature people would just think you grammar is as bad as mine!
post #28 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 02:12 PM
Ford Kuga

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
What's your username at GMI? And if you were to use that post in your signature people would just think you grammar is as bad as mine!
Just gjrip! I rarely post but I should more often.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead
post #29 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 04:40 PM
Ford Ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAAA View Post
Imagine a Lincoln based on a Jaguar F type platform or XK platform. The economies of scale would pay for itself between the brands.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ford already try that with the LS.
2b2 likes this.

Suddenly, a wild signature appears!
post #30 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 04:52 PM
Ford Mondeo

Garage

If Lincoln were to do a coupe now I think their best option would be to use the Continental platform as it would keep costs low, would provide the large enough size, and Continental coupe heritage. I say do it and call it the Continental Mark X. Hey while we're at it how about a Bill Blass Edition and a Diamond Jubilee lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page