Ford Inside News banner

Black Label updated on Lincoln's site

20K views 69 replies 17 participants last post by  AllenLincoln93 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
See less See more
#2 ·
I will sincerely miss the Indulgence theme and hope they eventually bring it back. But Chalet and Vineyard are absolutely gorgeous as well.

Also, looks like they'll start adding a "Black Label" badge as well:

My biggest gripe about building out the Lincolns is that you can't choose any exterior paint. I understand they're trying to simplify things, but if I want the Chalet theme with the new Burgundy exterior available on the regular MKZ, I should get it!

#4 ·
Yeah, paint and wheel choices I feel should be completely universal especially if you are willing to factory reserve an order. Chroma Cabernet Red is a deeper richer tone of Burgundy Velet but understandable of wanting other colors. I'm lucky Diamond Black Metallic is universal as it was the exterior paint I wanted.

Perhaps customers can express that more strongly to them for future models!

#3 ·
^ I agree Indulgence was probably my favorite for the Z

The red interior looks a lot darker from the shots we saw earlier. Interesting. Wonder if its a camera trick or if that was pre-production.

#5 · (Edited)
^ THANKS, Zalvern :thumb:
+ congrats on your future Z!! re-:thumb: do you have an idea when you'll receive it yet?

Andrew said:
...The red interior looks a lot darker from the shots we saw earlier. Interesting. Wonder if its a camera trick or if that was pre-production.
these are actually the first real photos/pix of Vineyard afaik

...not sure I wouldn't de-badge that new add-on -- really like the subtly of just blackening one Letter

#20 ·
^ THANKS, Zalvern :thumb:
+ congrats on your future Z!! re-:thumb: do you have an idea when you'll receive it yet?

these are actually the first real photos/pix of Vineyard afaik

...not sure I wouldn't de-badge that new add-on -- really like the subtly of just blackening one Letter
Thanks! I'm really excited as this is my first truly chosen, factory ordered vehicle. It's one thing to buy a car due to needs, but a pure joy to order it for enjoyment reasons.

3.0L MKZs should be arriving within two weeks, before the end of the month. So I might see it next week, but for certain will have it before the end of the month. I kept checking the Black Label section daily just awaiting more information on Vineyard, as I only had what little brochure pictures my dealership had at the time. I plan to take and share lots of photos of it!

It's great timing for the 3.0 MKZ arrival. My grandmother's 92nd birthday is coming up and what better way than give her a ride to her celebration in this awesome luxury car. Lincoln did a real great job on this improvement, and they're only just getting started!

#13 ·
Then there is Chalet. Really like the contrasting colors on the upper and lower dash area, and all the detail work in the seats. The metal center stack really pops. Is it just me or is there a nice bit of a retro thing going on with the new center stack dials and switches.
Lincoln's interiors have come so far in only four years! Go back to the 2012 MKZ interior and compare, just totally different worlds! I cannot wait until Lincoln's exterior designers are given as much freedom (via more flexible platforms) to do the same!!!!!!!!

#7 ·
Then there is Chalet. Really like the contrasting colors on the upper and lower dash area, and all the detail work in the seats. The metal center stack really pops. Is it just me or is there a nice bit of a retro thing going on with the new center stack dials and switches.

#8 ·
Funny that you mention the retro thing because when I first saw this I immediately thought about the 2006 LS interior.

#10 · (Edited)
^ notice a while back

&
here's a review (supposed to be on AutoGuide too but it doesn't load for me)

First Drive: 2017 Lincoln MKZ
driving.ca

By Derek McNaughton
9 hours ago

Lincoln's revamped MKZ gets a new look inside and out to go with the new fire in its belly
...for 2017, the Lincoln MKZ eschews the drama outside for a calm new face replete with optional LED headlamps to go with some new fire in its belly. Plus, an upgraded interior brings new driving aids and safety features. It’s almost as if the yawns of the last MKZ have floated away.

That’s not to say Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz need to immediately circle the wagons, having already entrenched such deep levels of luxury. But Lincoln is revealing with its revamped MKZ that it’s not merely intent to watch the heavy hitters in the premium midsize sedan segment, but to be part of the game as well...

... Lincoln has nailed the quiet part. Flatten the throttle, and precious little engine noise leaks into the cabin, thanks in part to active noise control and copious insulation. On the highway, even at high speed, there’s not much more than some wind walloping the windscreen. It’s relaxing and can belie the speed at which the car is travelling, especially with “active motion” seats providing a rolling massage for the driver and front passenger...

...Unfortunately, no 3.0-litre models were available on our drive across Nova Scotia.

But here’s the thing: As much as I craved to sample the powerhouse V6, the MKZ’s standard engine — a carryover but retuned 2.0L turbo — behaved so well and spooled out so much fun that few will go pining for more. Lag from the four-cylinder is negligible thanks to the twin-scroll turbo and the torque curve is so broad there’s good power at every step — 275 lb.-ft. as early as 3,000 rpm. At times, it felt just like a V6... ...all the way to 100 km/h there’s a delightful symphony of fire going on under that sculpted hood. It’s surprisingly smooth and averaged about 9.0L/100 kilometres under some heavy feet...

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
2017 Lincoln MKZ Review
AutoGuide - By Sami Haj-Assaad

Lincoln’s latest generation of crossovers introduced a unique style, powerful engines, quality finishes and a long list of features to choose from. Now it’s time for the luxury brand to take that momentum into the mainstream sedan segment with the MKZ.

What you’ll notice first about the changes is that the MKZ gets a new front end with a grille that’s reminiscent of Bentleys and Jaguars. The old “split-wing grille” design is scrapped in favor of this more traditional look and it suits the car well, making it look upscale like those old-world brands. Helping you warm up to the car, it welcomes you when approached, sensing the key fob in your pocket or purse, then splashing some light onto the ground in front of the front doors in response. The LED taillights and daytime running lights glow too, as if the car is coming to life by your presence.

Without a doubt the car makes an impression, which carries into the interior as well. There are fewer cheap plastic panels and most of the cabin uses a brushed aluminum trim with a unique texture that certainly doesn’t feel like anything that’s been used in the Ford lineup. While the seats don’t seem as plush and soft as the ones featured in the MKX, this sedan still features Scottish Bridge of Weir leather, while other panels use Waldorf hides, both of which feel special to the touch, although stroking the seats and dashboard did get a few funny looks from other motorists. There’s even an available seating package that offers plenty of power-adjustable settings and a massage function.

Our models were early-production vehicles and, as such, there were a few issues with fit and finish. Some stitching appeared to be missing on the door panel, while other panels on the dashboard had inconsistent gaps. Take a closer look at the final production models, as Lincoln representatives say these issues should be cleared up by the time it hits the market.

Changes on the Inside: Read more.....

#14 ·
"Inside, the rich smell of quality leather is the first clue to a step up in materials. The plastic centre console has been replaced with brushed aluminum, and the wood trim is as smart as that on an Audi A7. Lighting is improved and speaker covers are stainless steel mesh. It feels upscale."

Just wait until the reviews of the BL model. Then the 3.0t with the Driver's Package.

#16 · (Edited)
Here's a gripe for you, when you select a BL vehicle to begin the build process they should not be showing you "Options" that will force you to remove your selected BL choice. Why in the build process would I be offered the ability to choose a downgrade that forces the removal of my BL selection? Terrible user experience!!!

If I select an MKZ with BL Vineyard I should then be shown choices that are available to me WITH my previous selections ONLY! In other words the only exterior colors shown should be those available with Vineyard. Another example, Premium Floor Mats, this choice removes my BL selection, WTF is up with that? To quote the great Charles Barkley, Turrible, just turrible.

#23 ·
If Lincoln does 'initially' offer the 3.0t with the 6-speed, the next model year will definitely have to offer the new 9-speed. In a time when most all large luxury sedans have offered 7 or 8-speed transmissions for years, I certainly hope Lincoln offers at least the New Continental 3.0t with the new 9-speed to start.

#25 · (Edited)
^ was anyone else asked to fill out the "how's our site &or Brand" questionnaire?
I usually don't since I'm not a customer but did this time

&
^^ just checking my pre/mis-conceptions,
aren't more speeds less beneficial the more power/hp-per-# the vehicle has??
ex: 10-15-20speed bicycles :angel

Andrew said:
2b2 said:
...first real photos/pix of Vineyard afaik...
Wait then what is this one?
an over-exposed door? :angel actually forgot about that one
will be interesting to get RL-impressions/fotos

#35 ·
^ was anyone else asked to fill out the "how's our site &or Brand" questionnaire?
I usually don't since I'm not a customer but did this time
I clicked yes to participate in the survey, but it never appeared for me to complete it.

#26 · (Edited)
In regards to the 6F55 transmission going into the car over any new 9-Speed, I had serious questions shared towards my liasion. I requested them to get any information possible as to why a new powerful engine, the 3.0L, is getting what is seen as a older transmission that will be at its limits with the given sheet horsepower and torque stats. Expected with things like Chevy's Malibu seeing the 9-Speed soon.

My liasion not too long ago followed up with information they acquired in regards to my transmission and performance concerns.

Thier reply being: Don't underestimate the transmission's potential. While it may carry over the 6 gear design, it was chosen for the development as it brought forth the best outcome in performance at the time, as customers who desire the 3.0L are putting performance over fuel efficiency.

The transmission has been specifically upgraded to handle power and AWD torque vectoring with ease. It is no complete drop in 6F55 being applied as is the 3.0L is not just a bored out 2.7 Ecoboost engine. Both the engine and transmission are substantially improved versions from thier core designs, in order to push the drive to give customers true reliable effortless performance. This along with a promising AWD experience of driving especially with dynamic torque vectoring added in.

Though this MKZ is not light either in fact, even heavier as according to the spec sheet: An AWD 3.0L MKZ is nearly 4200 lbs. But it is packed to the core with power to overcome that and exceptional handling with AWD torque vectoring. All while still bringing the benefit of quiet luxury.

Needless to say, I was suggested to give the car a chance just to be impressed. My liasion is confident it will put a smile of satisfaction and should not be judged only by data numbers...which is indeed true at times.

Well we'll see very soon. I'm no professional critic but I'll share an honest thought based on my experience once the car arrives. I plan to lease though in favor of a future trade up.

#28 ·
I am confident that the updated/improved 6-speed in the MKZ and Continental will do it's job very well. When all things seem to be equal, it's down to the numbers(hp, torque, wheelbase inches, number of gears, etc) that sets new luxury vehicles apart.

However, Ford still has CAFE numbers to think about, and that is the primary reason for moving to the 9-speed for FWD vehicles and 10-speed for RWD vehicles in the first place. Power and efficiency. Marketing wise, it makes sense for Ford to get the 2017 F-150 with the New 10-speed launched in 4th quarter, with time for any production kinks to be worked out, before launching the new 9-speed next year.

Fusion is getting beat on fuel economy by it's competition. Accord and Altima went with CVTs, 2017 Malibu gets the new 9-speed and Camry is an appliance so it does not really matter what it has. But New Malibu is gaining on Fusion and the new 9-speed and fuel economy gains will help it's sales even more. Which is why I expect the 9-speed to be a MY2018 engine-transmission option for Fusion/MKZ and Edge/MKX and Continental.

Remembering that 10-speed will go in the #1 selling 2017 F-150, hopefully #1 selling 2017 Mustang, and then the New Aluminum Navigator and New Aluminum Expedition.

#29 ·
If the GM lead 9-speed FWD trans is not to the liking of Ford / Lincoln out of the box......................... then kuddos for taking the hit and not using it until it is thoroughly vetted.

Would you prefer that Lincoln just shoves the 9-speed into their product, not caring about smoothness, or reliability??

Say what you will............... however, Ford / Lincoln not using the tranny immediately says more about their integrity and commitment, than anything.

#31 ·
Ok I haven't posted this yet on this site and I am going to fill you guys in on something I have a feeling I will get called out so take it or leave it....

I am a member of another private forum that has several present and former Ford employees. 2 of them worked on and specialized in transmissions during the 90s and early 2000s one is still there now and he mentioned the new 9 speed is and has been a disaster and to avoid it if possible and stick with the 6 speed.

I am a bit nervous hearing about this and I hope to god they get it sorted out.

Reactions: 2b2
#30 ·
^...Ford and GM worked together on the hardware aspects of the new 9-speed transmission(GM heading up the project), just like they did with the current 6-speed used now. The differences is with any specific hardware changes/additions and the software that drives the transmission each manufacturer chooses to implement to make the product manufacturer specific.

Ford and GM had been conducting testing of their specific versions ongoing and we should see launches of both transmissions very close together toward end of year for Malibu and early next year for Ford. The difference is that Ford is early with most of their model years, while GM is late. Actually GM has two 2016 Malibu models on sale at the same time. The previous model(now called Malibu Classic) and the new model, both with the same model year. Why? Because GM wanted to keep the new Malibu under the old EPA testing which will pull at least 2mpg, but launching as a MY2016, the New Malibu goes under the older 2016 rules, and can report higher mpg. Technically the New Malibu should be MY2017 like the Fusion is, and the upcoming 2017 Malibu should be MY2018, like the Fusion will be when it launches with the new 9-speed transmission. So technically, the 9-speed should launch for both vehicles at the same 'logical' model year.

#32 ·
I too was hoping for the 9 to be ready for my Continental, but I wouldn't want it for the sake of having it. I know a lot of the cars equipped with the ZF 9HP were lambasted for their clunkiness. Now hopefully the liaison is telling it like it is; when I drove my sister's GT with the 6AT using the paddles it left a lot to be desired.

#36 · (Edited)
^ awww

**only-from-pix :( I like the tan-color a Lot but
TOTALLY agree about the placement :thumb:
&
imho
** "-"-", I feel there's a missing program now since/cuz imho [BL] is trying to be more designer-y/'couture' - not personalization: ex Muse gray with purple 'overtones' = in pure customization I'd expect maybe one-in-1000+ buyers to chose that
while 1-in-ten designers might suggest it
:angel

#37 ·
I have to select Chalet - reluctantly. It is not nearly as nice as Indulgence which I do not believe will be offered in the new MKZ. Thoroughbred and Vineyard are not attractive in pictures I've seen although they may look better in person. Indulgence was far and away the best, richest and most luxurious looking interior in the BL line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.