What do you want to see from Lincoln? - Page 11 - Ford Inside News Community
 231Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 284 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 08:22 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: What do you want to see from Lincoln?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
I also think Black Label should be reserved for only the best equipped Lincolns. The only option should be things like Trailer Tow, Panoramic Roof, Cargo Accessory Package, Wheels, and that's about it...
sometimes I feel that^ way
but
Quote:
...I think it's primarily being treated as an appearance package with additional services which is how I tend to think of it now after shopping for an MKX...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
...[BL] as a sorta-designer series...
believe this^ is fine as well
&
(potentially) more 'adventurous' than just having the graphic-equivalent of *price-tag* on the car so everyone has to know how much you paid for it –—tho guess something like that might be needed—– maybe gold-tone-chrome plus one's Name/monogram ensconced all over it?
otoh
If I got a Lincoln-to-my-taste,
it wouldn't need all the "features" but *would* need to be 'my colors'

Attached Images
File Type: gif p-m1703_zpsqq5exk16.gif (2.3 KB, 2052 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 284 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 10:23 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
I also think Black Label should be reserved for only the best equipped Lincolns. The only option should be things like Trailer Tow, Panoramic Roof, Cargo Accessory Package, Wheels, and that's about it. I am a little surprised you can find so many Black Label MKXs that are $10K+ less than Reserve MKXs with far fewer features than a more expensive Platinum Explorer. I think it's primarily being treated as an appearance package with additional services which is how I tend to think of it now after shopping for an MKX, it's not at all important to me if it doesn't have any substance with it.
I found it interesting that when I priced the Platinum Expedition out the other day, it came standard with most of the optional features, yet the top end Lincolns don't.
2b2 and HotRod like this.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #103 of 284 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 08:31 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
I found it interesting that when I priced the Platinum Expedition out the other day, it came standard with most of the optional features, yet the top end Lincolns don't.
And if Ford offers a Platinum trim on the Edge after the mid-cycle update, you'll likely see the same thing. Personally, that works for me, but I have a feeling Lincoln dealers (and some Lincoln owners) wouldn't be happy about it. I thought Ford might discontinue the Explorer Platinum when the Aviator launches, but the Platinum Expedition tells me the trim level is here to stay for a while. The question is: with Ford wandering deeper into Lincoln territory, will Lincoln attempt to take their models up-market?

Rod

2017 MKX 2.7T Black Label
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI

post #104 of 284 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 09:05 AM
Ford Flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
The question is: with Ford wandering deeper into Lincoln territory, will Lincoln attempt to take their models up-market?
That has been the hope around here for years. Lincoln should go higher, even if they temporarily lose some volume to do so, their ATP and profits should rise.

Now, should Ford offer models that match the level of the current Lincoln. They could, but with their history of minimal styling changes on premium versions of their vehicles, I don't see people spending 50K for a vehicle that looks almost identical from the outside, as the base model costing less than half that amount.

So, I think Ford would have two choices here. The first would be cheaper short term, and easier to pull off, The second would be expensive up front, but could really offer customers something very different and bring new customers to the showrooms, if they did not like the style of the Ford counterpart.

1) A Ford sub-brand with all the premium features and comfort, but with dramatic restyles, not just a different set of wheels and grill insert.

2) (you know it's coming) Bring Mercury back as an entry luxury brand, with unique sheetmetal and interiors like Lincoln is getting now. Give it increased power for shared engines, and it fits perfectly in the slot that the current Lincoln will be moving out of.
2b2 and glyphics like this.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
post #105 of 284 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 12:48 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
And if Ford offers a Platinum trim on the Edge after the mid-cycle update, you'll likely see the same thing. Personally, that works for me, but I have a feeling Lincoln dealers (and some Lincoln owners) wouldn't be happy about it. I thought Ford might discontinue the Explorer Platinum when the Aviator launches, but the Platinum Expedition tells me the trim level is here to stay for a while. The question is: with Ford wandering deeper into Lincoln territory, will Lincoln attempt to take their models up-market?
This has been a problem with Ford and Lincoln since I would say maybe the 2000s and from the whole PAG disaster. Ford still hasn't quite let Lincoln flourish with unique features and technology though they are on the right path they need to step back a little. For instance... compare a 1997 Thunderbird to a 1997 Mark VIII and you may be surprised how much more the Mark had vs the Thunderbird. Even a 2002 Taurus vs a 2002 Continental. Then flash forward to 2006 and compare an Zephyr vs a Fusion and the similarities are almost laughable.

I really want Lincoln to be the first to debut new Ford tech but for some reason in recent years Ford has been number one in those games. Stuff like the multi contour seats debuted on the Taurus first before they trickled up to the MKS. Why?

I made a thread of Lincoln firsts showcasing things debuted on Lincoln as either a first for the industry or a first for a US car marker and they had a bunch in the 60s 70s 80s and 90s but then flat lined after that with I think the last 'first' being power running boards for the Navigator and a THX certified system with the LS.
2b2, hbmf3 and HotRod like this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #106 of 284 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 05:59 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
Dang / Love ^that^

Quote:
What's with the obsession with throwing whatever Ford/Mercury name on Lincoln models around here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomt View Post
ok... puppy nay-sayers...
don't kick the suggestion...
MAKE ONE
while googling sumthin else, was reminded...
ORION - appropo for a STARship - was the program name of the last (or next-to?) Falcon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #107 of 284 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 12:59 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

swiping from a Volvo V90 review
cuz
it gave me an idea 180° from the usual concentration on the upper end, ReachHigher™, stuff
ACE of BASE is TTAC's running schtick about finding LOW-END models that hit all the right buttons...
2018 Volvo V90 T5 R-Design
By Matthew Guy on July 26, 2017

"...For 2018, the V90 starts at $49,950 and, joy of joys, the snazzy R-Design is the least expensive model of the large Volvo wagons. Excellent.
A turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder resides under that long bonnet, delivering 250 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque. Those measures are 66 and 37 units shy, respectively, of the more powerful T6. Being a T5, the power is shuttled through the front wheels only.

From the Thor’s Hammer daytime running lights framing each side of the unique R-Design grille to a natty R-Design set of shiny twin exhaust finishers poking out of the rear valence, the V90 Wagon is an absolute looker. Choosing the R-Design trim instead of the more expensive Inscription model also allows buyers to select bolder colors, such as the $0 Passion Red shown here. 19-inch five-spoke matte-black alloy wheels with an aggressive pattern look sharp and disc brakes the size of dinner plates hide behind the spokes.

Nicely crafted flappy paddles live behind a leather-wrapped steering wheel, greeting the driver as the pilot settles into the (p)leather(?) (trimmed in the R-Design with suede-ish Nubuck) sport seat...
...it goes without saying that Volvo’s legendary reputation for safety is baked into the V90. From lane-keeping aids to emergency braking assistance, the list of security and safe-driving features as long as a Viking’s fighting spear.

A $0 panoramic moonroof with a power shade lets in the sunshine, pairing with the standard equipment metal mesh inlays to brighten up an otherwise handsome but funereal interior. Please don’t waste $800 on replacing those inlays with carbon fiber ones.
The major gripe I have with the least expensive V90 is the lack of heated seats... ...Can you tell I’m from frigid Canada?
..."

- - - - - - -

so
the idea I'm stealing from ^that^ is
Offering a base price trim geared for a (probably) first-time Lincoln buyer...
...or maybe as a GRADUATION PRESENT??

can't get younger than that
[ this might even recapture some Commander Cody down-low! ]

post #108 of 284 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 03:10 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
I really want Lincoln to be the first to debut new Ford tech but for some reason in recent years Ford has been number one in those games. Stuff like the multi contour seats debuted on the Taurus first before they trickled up to the MKS. Why?
Because the Chairman of the Board of the parent and founding company is named Ford and his relatives are major shareholders. They will have a hard time allowing a brand that they own which is not named Ford take the lead on anything.

The real question is why many of us car lovers here still harbor the hope that Ford will do the right thing for Lincoln in the face of overwhelming evidence that they simply cannot bring themselves to do it.
2b2 likes this.
post #109 of 284 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 04:32 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

reference: Fomoco lineup to change...BUT HOW??

copying from Asian thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
Just wondering here...could Lincoln find a way to use the same platform for both CUVs eventually?
I could see the MKC being on a shorter wheelbase of the MKX. It would give it an 'edge' over the Escape.
Quote:
Platforms are engineered for cost as well and unless we move toward better platform modularity, I don't think that's likely yet.

I think Lincoln might develop their version of the fabled "Model E" Crossover, I would certainly welcome it as a Lincoln SUV shopper, I just hope it's performance oriented. This is probably the only way to keep me from switching to a Tesla anyway.
just-imho
( easier with/IF cD6 )
ALL Cuvs between MKC and Navigator, NOT inclusive,
could
be built and RWD *if* they choose,
on a unified architecture

...it'd be funny if Lincoln wound-up with the inverse of Caddilac:
RWD-based Cuvs and Fwd-based cars...
/

- - - - - - -
Quote: rmc I think Escape will be a 2020 model, and MKC a 2021, like we saw with Edge/MKX (with MKC's refresh being a short one).

Quote: fzz New York will probably be big for Lincoln. MKC and MKX refreshes.

Quote: rmc I'm assuming that would be a next year debut then? Meaning MKC/MKX refreshes would be it for Lincoln debuts, unless they surprise with some sort of electrification effort?

Quote: fzz MKC/X debut 2018. Aviator is a 2020 model so production model will be probably be revealed sometime late 2018 I would think.

Quote: rmc Right C/X debut at the shows in a few months, on sale late 2018 as 2019 models. If Aviator is a 2020 model, wouldn't it debut at next years' (2019) shows with sales late 2019? I guess unless they showed it at its own event.

Quote: jpd MKC and MKX with new fronts, are they just MCEs and if so, does that mean the next product cycles are at least three years away from now?
I see NO (good/valid) REASON for not having the rhinoplasty MKC & MKX shown at PebbleBeach THIS weekend
and
go into production in 10 DAYS for the C and NEXT month for the X

note: I EXPECT the bad/invalid reason for waiting until next year to SWAP A FEW PARTS
is sitting on their hands for the last year or so
(and playing with Level4-autonoM.O.U.S.E.y video games)
Logans Run likes this.

Last edited by 2b2; 08-18-2017 at 08:24 PM.
post #110 of 284 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 01:18 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via AIM to YellowZx5 Send a message via Yahoo to YellowZx5

Quote:
Here are a few name possibilities:

-Sentinel
-Paladin
-Aeronaut
-Meridian
-Azimuth
-Cartographer
-Constellation
-Cruiser
-Zenith

---

I think we'll see this in a few years....

Sedans/coupes:
-Zenith (3-series/C-class competitor - this is the one I'm least sure of)
-Sentinel (MKZ replacement)
-Continental (becomes full size flagship)
-Paladin (next-gen Mustang-based coupe)

Crossovers/SUVs:
-Aeronaut (Mariner would be the ideal name, but I don't know if using a Mercury name is a good idea)
-Aviator (MKX replacement)
-Navigator Sport (Explorer-based model, what we've been calling Aviator)
-Navigator

Or

-Aeronaut (MKC)
-Meridian (MKX)
-Aviator (Explorer-based model)
-Navigator
I think that as other competitors are starting to build more SUV's and CUV's, Lincoln will have to follow to not be left behind.

I would like to see them do more high-end names like Lamborghini does with Italian bulls.

Excellscior, Aviator, Navigator, Contonental...........

Like Ford in Europe has their Vignale edition, Lincoln will have the Tuxedo Edition. I envision a high end black pearlescent paint, with a white interior and mahogany or teak interior. Exterior will also have small hints of chrome similar to cufflinks.

Maybe another high-end edition called Vignale as a White pearlescent and black interior with similar chrome accents and Birds-eye Maple wood inserts.

MkT will be changed to the Town Car.
Continental will stay as the flagship car.
The Eco Sport will be brought over as the Sport Premiere.
MkZ will be the Zephyr
MkX will be changed to NaviCross
Mustang will get a Lincoln version as the Blackwood
Navigator will stay
MkC will be the Capri
The new Electric only Ford will be brought over as the Excelsior or something else.

This is just what I think could be good.
2b2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page