A Navigator-based Town Car? - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:46 PM
Focus RS WRC

Re: A Navigator-based Town Car?

A next-gen Continental should be, like Aviator, on CD6. It should be a tall, long sedan with coach doors and it should scale upward into RR territory. Its grille should not be another cookie-cutter new Lincoln grille but a creative design upgrade of same. I still believe that Lincoln should have something that Ford does not have. This would be it. Low volume, high margin and desirable. Lincoln knows how to do it; its latest efforts are world class. Ford's first truly 21st century RWD platform should not be wasted only on SUVs.

I wish I knew how to render but here's my take.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flagship-18.jpg (136.6 KB, 18 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:01 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
A next-gen Continental should be, like Aviator, on CD6. It should be a tall, long sedan with coach doors and it should scale upward into RR territory. Its grille should not be another cookie-cutter new Lincoln grille but a creative design upgrade of same. I still believe that Lincoln should have something that Ford does not have. This would be it. Low volume, high margin and desirable. Lincoln knows how to do it; its latest efforts are world class. Ford's first truly 21st century RWD platform should not be wasted only on SUVs.

I wish I knew how to render but here's my take.
So you want Lincoln to abandon their Bentley inspired look and shoot for RR now?
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:08 AM
Ford Mondeo

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenLincoln93 View Post
Well, I'm fine with them not releasing another sedan above the Continental. Heck, I'd be willing to lose the MKZ and MKZ replacement. But I'd still love at least ONE sedan in the Lincoln lineup. Move the Continental to the new Aviator platform, give it the Aviator interior, stretch it just a bit, make coach doors standard (or at least standard on all Black Label Continentas), and I can guarantee you it'll be a great seller. If you dont want the segment to die, entice the customers with some original that will have them get their eyes away from the SUVs in the showroom. Not impossible.

Here, lemme make it easier for Lincoln: release a new Continental that looks closer to the Conti Concept, but with coach doors. Boom, instant hit.
I'd be ok with the coach doors and RWD/AWD, but I prefer the looks of the production one to those of the concept.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 12:42 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhac View Post
Quote:
Well, I'm fine with them not releasing another sedan above the Continental. Heck, I'd be willing to lose the MKZ and MKZ replacement. But I'd still love at least ONE sedan in the Lincoln lineup. Move the Continental to the new Aviator platform, give it the Aviator interior, stretch it just a bit, make coach doors standard (or at least standard on all Black Label Continentas), and I can guarantee you it'll be a great seller. If you dont want the segment to die, entice the customers with some original that will have them get their eyes away from the SUVs in the showroom. Not impossible.

Here, lemme make it easier for Lincoln: release a new Continental that looks closer to the Conti Concept, but with coach doors. Boom, instant hit.
I'd be ok with the coach doors and RWD/AWD, but I prefer the looks of the production one to those of the concept.
Interesting! What is it that you like about the production more than the concept? I mean, they're pretty darn close in look, but the concept felt bigger, longer, and had better proportions.

Current Car: 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Recent Previous Cars:
2016 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
2015 Lincoln MKC
2013 Ford Edge
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 02:01 PM
Ford Mondeo

Garage

Quote:
Interesting! What is it that you like about the production more than the concept? I mean, they're pretty darn close in look, but the concept felt bigger, longer, and had better proportions.
The big deal for me was the design of the front bumper. Plus the lines seem softer on the prod model, less Bentley ripoff.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 07:20 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
So you want Lincoln to abandon their Bentley inspired look and shoot for RR now?
Now? I've never changed my tune.

If you read carefully, I've always proposed RR territory in terms of size and prestige, not looks. The Continental was a half-assed attempt to approximate Bentley's style but not its substance.

Lincoln has shown itself capable of designing-in luxury and it needs (IMO) a true, long, tall, highway-eating, CD6, RWD/AWD luxury sedan to showcase that capability, burnish their image, and get people into the showroom.

None of the true luxury players are exclusively SUVs (Land Rover has Jaguar).
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 08:18 PM
Ford Explorer

Pretty difficult to approximate the substance of a $200-300K product, in a $60-80K price range.

Conti luxury has yet to be eclipsed for the money. Engineering value is far more difficult.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:38 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Pretty difficult to approximate the substance of a $200-300K product, in a $60-80K price range.

Conti luxury has yet to be eclipsed for the money. Engineering value is far more difficult.
Bentley's sell for $300K based almost purely on image and lure of the ridiculous W12 engine.

Continental did not move the needle on luxury, certainly, not on CD4. Navigator and Aviator are moving the needle. Lincoln can easily bake in uber-luxury in a $$80-100K big sedan package with CD6; Aviator is proof.

Wings, I'm surprised to read your words doubting Ford's capabilities.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 10:05 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
Bentley's sell for $300K based almost purely on image and lure of the ridiculous W12 engine.

Continental did not move the needle on luxury, certainly, not on CD4. Navigator and Aviator are moving the needle. Lincoln can easily bake in uber-luxury in a $$80-100K big sedan package with CD6; Aviator is proof.

Wings, I'm surprised to read your words doubting Ford's capabilities.
I'm confused, why would you be surprised that I believe it is impossible to produce a $300K level luxury vehicle using a vehicle with an MSRP in the mid $40's? Of course Lincoln can't, nobody can. It takes many people many hours to practically hand assemble much of the Bentley using very premium materials as well. Sorry, it is not just image that customers are paying for. Hand stitching the seats alone takes quite some time. But it all starts first with good bones, which the Conti does not have and the Bentley does. But again, Conti still offers one heck of a luxury vehicle for the money. That just can't be debated.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:28 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
I'm confused, why would you be surprised that I believe it is impossible to produce a $300K level luxury vehicle using a vehicle with an MSRP in the mid $40's? Of course Lincoln can't, nobody can. It takes many people many hours to practically hand assemble much of the Bentley using very premium materials as well. Sorry, it is not just image that customers are paying for. Hand stitching the seats alone takes quite some time. But it all starts first with good bones, which the Conti does not have and the Bentley does. But again, Conti still offers one heck of a luxury vehicle for the money. That just can't be debated.
You're talking about the past when you talk about "MSRP in the mid $40's." This thread and everything I proposed is about the future. There's no confusion if you read what I wrote. Again, the Conti (on the ancient CD4) did not (could not) move the needle on luxury. With CD6, Lincoln has a chance to move the needle. Repeat after me; CD6!

Tell me that hand assembly is more precise than robotic assembly and I'll tell you that that is all about image, not necessarily quality. Robots don't get drunk on Friday afternoons. Material quality, yes, assembly quality, no. Hand-stitched leather, really?

If you want to tell me that Lincoln cannot produce a proper luxury sedan on CD6, then you're telling me that the Aviator is an inadequate product.

Last edited by glyphics; 03-18-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
navigator, towncar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page