Galhotra Talks Lincoln (Video) - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 03:59 AM
Ford Explorer

Re: Galhotra Talks Lincoln (Video)

I really don't get the closed minded cynicism regarding Lincoln's future. It's not like nobody here does not know it's a long slow process, especially when you are careful to make sure you define the brand properly and understand their needs....rather than just copy the Germans, lock-step, like certain other brands do. Lincoln is an American brand. Period. I expect great things one day.
hbmf3 and HotRod like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 07:29 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

I’m realizing that Lincoln will have a woman in it’s head. There is no record for a luxury brand driven for a woman. What can it mean for the brand? This woman, Joy Falotico, comes from the Credit division, so, the first question is : is Falotico a car-guy (or a car-woman)?
She made a good job at the Ford Credit division , so, the financial health of Lincoln in the future looks promising. But what about the products? What about the exciting cars (and SUVs/crossovers)? Is a woman better suited to run a luxury brand? I don’t have idea about all these questions, but is a novelty for sure. Of course, I don’t want to be male chauvinist, but I think the men and the women had different sensibilities and visions of things .
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B11A4398-D0BD-42FA-9D6C-0F18C7EA5CB7.jpeg (240.3 KB, 0 views)
Bloggin likes this.

Last edited by falcon lover; 02-25-2018 at 12:56 PM.
post #23 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 11:13 AM
Focus RS WRC

I sat in a Yacht Club Navigator at the Cleveland Auto Show yesterday. Itís absolutely beautiful inside. If Lincoln continues in that path theyíll be successful.
2b2, Logans Run and joseodiaga4 like this.

post #24 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 12:13 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
Iím realizing that Lincoln will had a woman in itís head. There is no record for a luxury brand driven for a woman. What can it mean for the brand? This woman, Joy Falotico, comes from the Credit division, so, the first question is : is Falotico a car-guy (or a car-woman)?
She made a good job at the Ford Credit division , so, the financial health of Lincoln in the future looks promising. But what about the products? What about the exciting cars (and SUVs/crossovers)? Is a woman better suited to run a luxury brand? I donít have idea about all these questions, but is a novelty for sure. Of course, I donít want to be male chauvinist, but I think the men and the women had different sensibilities and visions of things .
I think no matter how much the media tries to pretend males and females are the same, we are different in many ways. Lincoln so far has been marketed like a luxury line for older women to begin with. Heavy focus on fabric colors, less masculine model colors, textures, a place for the purse in the console, and the perception of you by others if you drive a Lincoln. It's the same marketing plan as for cosmetics and other products with females as the target market. Unlike global performance luxury brands that focus their marketing on performance, engineering, build quality, power which reaches to males along with females wanting to be seen as powerful like they perceive males to be.

But a female heading up Lincoln makes since, with the plan being Lincoln will remain a low volume niche/boutique brand in limited markets, small lineup, focused on being soft, pretty and comfortable. Volume is not the key with Ford, it's trying to generate as much revenue from each unit possible, so expanding higher priced trim levels will be the plan. But unfortunately, Lincoln may be going the way of the VW Beetle, where it will be perceived as a female brand, and guys won't want to be seen in one, and some females will feel stigmatized by the perception they are soft. With no aspiration for performance, Lincoln really has no aspiration to attract the male consumer who has not committed to Lincoln based on Lincoln of the past. Even Navigator has a really nice interior, but a guy has to really work hard to get around the more female design elements of the exterior. Which is why the marketing for Navigator has primarily targeted at females, and why Continental's athletic qualities from the concept were softened quite a bit.
falcon lover likes this.
post #25 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 01:21 PM
Ford Explorer

Wow, I am almost convinced now that some here are just focused on spreading propaganda rather than opinion.

GM has a female running the entire corporation. I will just leave that fact right here.
Lincoln can and will be anything it wants to be, focused primarily on their customer's desires, without knowing or caring about the restrictions some preclude upon them in auto forums, based on previous conventions in the business.
spudz64, Bloggin and FloridaMatt like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 01:41 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
Since I started posting here, I've been clear.

I'm a BMW guy (who is critical of their direction while acknowledging their obvious success) who wants to buy American iron. I never liked GM nor Chrysler, and grew up in a Mercury family. I guess that leaves me only one option, Ford.

I'm a RWD kind of guy who likes 4-door sedans. Ford and Lincoln does not make a single car that I want to buy. I was thrilled that Lincoln had come to its senses when it produced the late, lamented LS but Ford forced Lincoln to drop that ball.

So yes; I think Lincoln needs an "entire sub brand" if by that, you mean cars that are not based on Fords. That, especially since there is no RWD Ford to base a Lincoln on.
I kept wishing that Ford would OK the Mustang platform for a Lincoln 4-door. My hopes were dashed. Early on, my overused mantra was product differentiation until even I got tired of it. My contention has always been that Lincoln will never soar into relevance as a luxury marque as long as they are based on hand-me-up platforms...

...Ford knows very well what they are doing with Lincoln. It's like the family who keeps one of their children locked in a closet for decades. Don't let it breathe free else it might eclipse our favored brand; you know, the one with my name on it.

I'm sorry if you and others don't like my take on things. I was so ready to become a Lincoln fan-boy but I'm a groom who has been left at the altar. And yeah, I'm angry!
I agree with sooo much of your post @glyphics
& have ranted similarly about product differentiation
also agree that's no longer the Tool it could've been so far this century;
AND about the Name on the buildings & main Brand...
...Which Once Again looks like it's preventing Lincoln from ever having a champion in charge of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
I’m realizing that Lincoln will have a woman in it’s head. There is no record for a luxury brand driven for a woman. What can it mean for the brand? This woman, Joy Falotico, comes from the Credit division, so, the first question is : is Falotico a car-guy (or a car-woman)?
She made a good job at the Ford Credit division , so, the financial health of Lincoln in the future looks promising. But what about the products? What about the exciting cars (and SUVs/crossovers)? Is a woman better suited to run a luxury brand? I don’t have idea about all these questions, but is a novelty for sure. Of course, I don’t want to be male chauvinist, but I think the men and the women had different sensibilities and visions of things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
I think no matter how much the media tries to pretend males and females are the same, we are different in many ways...
...a female heading up Lincoln makes sense...
...unfortunately, Lincoln may be going the way of the VW Beetle, where it will be perceived as a female brand, and guys won't want to be seen in one...
...and why Continental's athletic qualities from the concept were softened quite a bit.
Haven't seen any guy care that Mary Barra is in charge of ALL of GM.
As implied above, the men in charge have seriously disappointed me, re: the Lincoln-Mercury Division
to the point I'm 'EVEN' willing to have a woman in charge :faint: :sarcasm:...
...and frequently point out in random conversations that
there's a genetic-marker for over 90% of the people in prison - - the Y chromosome

Bloggin likes this.

Last edited by 2b2; 02-25-2018 at 01:48 PM.
post #27 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 01:42 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Last edited by 2b2; 02-25-2018 at 01:45 PM. Reason: dupe
post #28 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 02:33 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Ups!

Sometime is better to keep the mouth closed. Some opinions are taken by others in a very different way we are thinking...
2b2 likes this.

post #29 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 04:46 PM
Ford Focus ZX

I agree with Bellanca.....if they continue with vehicles like the Navigator Black Label, they'll slowly become more and more successful. Every new vehicle or refresh they're coming out with is better than the last. It's only gonna keep getting better. If Lincoln's current short term vision for the brand pays off, I'm sure THEN they'll start looking at maybe expanding Lincoln's potential, one step at a time.
2b2 and iculookn like this.

Current Car: 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Recent Previous Cars:
2016 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
2015 Lincoln MKC
2013 Ford Edge
post #30 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 06:39 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
Haven't seen any guy care that Mary Barra is in charge of ALL of GM.
As implied above, the men in charge have seriously disappointed me, re: the Lincoln-Mercury Division
to the point I'm 'EVEN' willing to have a woman in charge :faint: :sarcasm:...
...and frequently point out in random conversations that
there's a genetic-marker for over 90% of the people in prison - - the Y chromosome

I think the difference between Mary at GM and Joy at Lincoln, is that Lincoln has already clearly defined their limited market reach along with limited product lineup, and no performance. While GM has wide open potential from consumer brands to Cadillac with no clearly defined limitations on market reach or lineup.

So a luxury brand with a planned max of 6 or 7 models and no plan to expand the market more than it is today. No plan to reach out to the sub 40 demographic and no performance. Dang! But that's the reality.

1. MKC
2. MKX
3. MKZ (we have heard tales of it's demise already)
4. New Aviator
5. Continental
6. Navigator
7. New Large Car
2b2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page