Suicide Doors on Future Lincoln Continental - Page 16 - Ford Inside News Community
 226Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 186 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 04:44 PM
Focus RS WRC

Re: Suicide Doors on Future Lincoln Continental

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
Official pictures! Looks great, amazing! I love it....

80th Anniversary Coach Door Edition, this is the official name of this Continental.

6 inch longer.. builded by a coach builder under the Lincoln engineering

Price north 100000$.
Too bad they couldn't engineer a stretch to the dash/axle distance.
falcon lover likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 186 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 04:45 PM
Focus RS

I wish they would make this standard on all black-label Conti's
hbmf3 and Bloggin like this.
post #153 of 186 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 06:12 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipzoomflyfast View Post
I wish they would make this standard on all black-label Conti's
It's a great gimmick! But at the end of the day that's all it is, a gimmick. I suspect there are enough potential buyers based upon the limited production, and thus future collectability to move the 80 planned examples. If you added the upgrade to all Black Labels Continentals you'd have to also add the price of the conversion which surely isn't cheap... and in the end you would sell a lot fewer Black Label Continentals.

IMO this car is to Lincoln what the Shelby Mustangs and Raptors are to Ford, great press that creates a halo effect for the rest of the Mustang and F-150 lineups. This Continental is going to get a lot of coverage from the automotive and non-automotive press alike which will only help raise Lincoln's brand image.

This limited run is a phenomenal marketing move by Lincoln! Making this standard to all Black Label Continentals would be phenomenally stupid business decision.
falcon lover and spudz64 like this.

post #154 of 186 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 06:48 PM
Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
This limited run is a phenomenal marketing move by Lincoln! Making this standard to all Black Label Continentals would be phenomenally stupid business decision.
It could've just been an option to order on BL and not a limited run of 80. Let's see how many they will build for 2020.
post #155 of 186 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 10:44 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Itís a great way to honor the Continentals 80th anniversary, gain positive press playing off the suicide doors (the 60ís Lincolnís are iconic) and also, I suspect, test the waters of a high price Lincoln sedan.

The Navigator showed that a Lincoln can command a $100,000 price, the Aviator will also sell at a much higher price than prior Lincolnís, and this adds to that realm...a realm thought unheard of for Lincoln just a few years ago! It shows how serious Lincoln is to play in the higher luxury ring, and where they need to aim long term.

Itís pretty amazing that the usually fiscally conservative FMC is doing this! One could argue the funds spent on such a limited model, a sedan no less, are a waste, but Lincoln understands to really play in the luxury segments one needs to spend money and take risks.
post #156 of 186 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 11:19 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
It's a great gimmick! But at the end of the day that's all it is, a gimmick. I suspect there are enough potential buyers based upon the limited production, and thus future collectability to move the 80 planned examples. If you added the upgrade to all Black Labels Continentals you'd have to also add the price of the conversion which surely isn't cheap... and in the end you would sell a lot fewer Black Label Continentals.

IMO this car is to Lincoln what the Shelby Mustangs and Raptors are to Ford, great press that creates a halo effect for the rest of the Mustang and F-150 lineups. This Continental is going to get a lot of coverage from the automotive and non-automotive press alike which will only help raise Lincoln's brand image.

Agreed even if it doesn't check-off my wish for a CD6 Conti.

Now, how about that subscription-only, limited-edition, gull-wing Navigator I proposed a few months back. For the few, not the many. Those of us with standard size garages (those who called me crazy really stressed about this) or salaries/income with less than two commas need not apply. Ford insiders hated this idea but I think every futebol, football, basketball, Hollywood star would have to have one (bet they all have big garages).

It also would be a "phenomenal marketing move" aimed directly at the knees of Escalade. Sure, it's a gimmick. Face it; the Ford GT is also a gimmick. But a gull-wing Navigator would be a marketing gimmick that would put a halo on Lincoln like no other.

I'm certain that everybody here remembers the sensation the gull-wing Navi concept had upon its auto-show introduction. Everybody knew that that feature would never make it to production and, of course, that was true. But here is an opportunity to shock the automotive world and cross-up the doubters and excite auto fans without hurting the bottom line. If you liked the audacity of the Ford GT, why put down this idea? Hey, it's just my opinion.

Last edited by glyphics; 12-17-2018 at 11:28 PM.
post #157 of 186 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 12:46 AM
Ford Explorer

If I'm being honest my thoughts when I first saw the Navigator concept was that is was absurdly ridiculous. For a concept that relies on it's ultra high end interior to move units it was a great way to showcase that interior on the auto show circuit. But for day to day it would be ridiculously heavy, would also need the Falcon Wing idea to open in parking spaces, and was just not reasonable even for a limited run halo vehicle IMO.
post #158 of 186 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 04:04 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Handler View Post
It would be more interesting to see somebody build Ford-licensed '60s Continental bodies. A Revology 1962 Continental with the 5.0 Coyote would be incredible. Just in case you never heard of Revology, they build brand-new '60s Mustangs built to modern standards without all the government-mandated safety crap that has ruined the automobile. Through the Low Volume Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Act, they're only allowed to produce 500 units a year. That's the only way the government will allow somebody to produce vehicles exempted from safety standards. Because of limited production and being hand-built, they're extremely expensive. Only the very well-heeled can afford a Revology Mustang.

I want my Revology ī62 Continental with electric powerplant!

post #159 of 186 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 01:30 PM
FIN Staff Member

This should do well in China and for livery services in the US. But I think this like other Lincoln models, is targeted at the China market with maybe a new gen model on the new RWD platform for 2020?
falcon lover likes this.
post #160 of 186 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 02:04 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
This should do well in China and for livery services in the US. But I think this like other Lincoln models, is targeted at the China market with maybe a new gen model on the new RWD platform for 2020?

I don't expect a new Continental in 2020 (maybe mild updates though) but the MKZ replacement is set to arrive later in 2020 as a 2021. Here's hoping that is still happening and is also RWD.

From what I've read the 80th Anniversary Coach Door is all for the US, but they may decide to bring it to China in 2020.
Bloggin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page