Suicide Doors on Future Lincoln Continental - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community
 226Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Ford Focus ZX

Re: Suicide Doors on Future Lincoln Continental

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMatt View Post
There simply should not be ANY Lincoln built with anything less than what's now the Reserve Trim, and even that should be better equipped. Anybody who wants a cheaper Lincoln should be directed to the Ford Titanium & Platinum models, and told how they can get an almost-a-Lincoln Ford or get the real deal. That's the only way to start breaking the "it's the same car" perception. People used to "move up" to a Cadillac or Lincoln. Now, at least in Lincoln's case, it's more a sideways shuffle. And not always in the right direction. We replaced our MKC with an Edge (titanium) instead of an MKX because the only advantage to the MKX was an extra year of warranty.
I 100% agree. Especially since Ford is now going to be including more safety features and what was previously considered "premium" safety tech as standard on their entire lineup. Lincoln needs to do the same, and set themselves apart from both Ford, as well as the rest of the industry. Designs and customer service are a great start, but they absolutely need to move up market and get rid of their base entry models. Yes, Mercedes, Lexus, and BMW all have base models, but customers are willing to get them for the BRAND. Lincoln's reputation is still low, so it needs to do everything it can to set itself apart.
glyphics likes this.

Current Car: 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Recent Previous Cars:
2016 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
2015 Lincoln MKC
2013 Ford Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 09:30 PM
Ford Kuga

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
You just made me laugh out loud at a viewing.
SP1966 likes this.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead
post #23 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 09:49 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMatt View Post
There simply should not be ANY Lincoln built with anything less than what's now the Reserve Trim, and even that should be better equipped. Anybody who wants a cheaper Lincoln should be directed to the Ford Titanium & Platinum models, and told how they can get an almost-a-Lincoln Ford or get the real deal. That's the only way to start breaking the "it's the same car" perception. People used to "move up" to a Cadillac or Lincoln. Now, at least in Lincoln's case, it's more a sideways shuffle. And not always in the right direction. We replaced our MKC with an Edge (titanium) instead of an MKX because the only advantage to the MKX was an extra year of warranty.
I agree with this if you look at Select and Premiere Lincoln's it's almost sad how much they don't offer. But as for sedans I have stated before that sedans are needed in the luxury segment in fact large luxury sedans were up slightly from 2016 to 2017. It's an area I know Lincoln can do well in they just need to do what they have always done best.
glyphics likes this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

post #24 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 10:03 PM
Focus RS WRC

Wow. I can't believe my eyes. Where are the "sedans are dead" posters? Where are the "SUVs rule" posters? Where are the "why bother investing in dying segments" posters?

This is what I have been advocating all along. Sedans & coupes, serious luxury, beautiful proportions (impossible with FWD bias), elegant design (Lincoln has gotten serious with interiors, now it's time for body designers to get busy.) and DIFFERENTIATION.

Has everybody at Ford/Lincoln suddenly seen the light?
Bloggin likes this.
post #25 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 10:31 PM
FIN Staff Member

"The move is part of an effort to demonstrate the brand's commitment to its car lineup."
http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...oreUserAgent=1

I wonder what the Ford brand will do.....Fusion Electric??
post #26 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 10:41 PM
FIN Staff Member

Lincoln interiors are beautiful and opening it up with 'coach doors' will offer a really grand entrance. New Continental should have had the coach doors already.

But Ford was willing to offer the 'engineering' on a lesser vehicle...

And now with the stronger battery pack platforms, it seems the coach doors are more viable than ever...

2b2 and zipzoomflyfast like this.
post #27 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 09:56 AM
Ford Focus ZX

I sure don't see the need for a longer wheelbase on the current platform. The rear seat area is extremely roomy as it is and stretching the wheelbase more would have the potential of making the structure weaker as well as heavier. The car is already too heavy and it cannot afford to lose any rigidity.

I do not think for a second that the current platform will see suicide doors. That would take a substantial revamp of the structure. NO WAY they would do it for only 500 vehicles. Hopefully, there will be a new Continental on the CD6 platform with RWD, a longer wheelbase and suicide doors. But NEVER on the current platform.
2b2 and glyphics like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 10:36 AM
Ford Flex

If they considered it at first, and engineered the structure for them (then considered it too costly for production), then maybe a run of 500 would be feasable on this platform.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
post #29 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 10:47 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
If they considered it at first, and engineered the structure for them (then considered it too costly for production), then maybe a run of 500 would be feasable on this platform.
I was told by a Lincoln insider that it wasn't a cost issue. It was a structural and weight issue and that there was no real benefit in terms of entry and exit. They made the current rear doors open wider than on MKZs, Fusions, etc. to make entry and exit better than what suicide doors would offer.
2b2 and Logans Run like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 10:54 AM
Ford Focus ZX

suicide doors however...is exactly what Lincoln needs and it accomplishes 2 things:

#1: Marketing Gold

#2: A way to bring a younger crowd into Lincoln. Just think how cool that CEO or young celebrity will be with suicide doors.
glyphics likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page