New 2023 Lincoln Crossover - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 23Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 12:56 PM
Ford Escort
 
pffan1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Danville, Kentucky
Posts: 68
Re: New 2023 Lincoln Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Unfortunately, pretty much every doubt is true. That's all I can say.

But, what I am seeing, looks good too.

So confused.
So the Mustang is indeed on updated version of current platform (codenamed S650)? Can you say if the next Mustang remains traditional... 2 doors, long hood/short trunk, coupe/convertible/maybe even hatchback, rear drive (with maybe all wheel drive for hybrids, electrics, etc.), with still manual offered for V8? I'm afraid they're considering sedan or a sporty crossover version of it with all wheel drive. I hope they keep Mustang 2 door coupe/convertible with maybe even hatchback to it. Not sure if you know but just wondering. I don't want you to reveal anything if it jeopardizes your job. PM me if you can or just simply say you can't comment and I'll just move on.

So fascinated with Ford's EcoBoost technology!!!
pffan1990 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,812
Re: New 2023 Lincoln Crossover

I can tell you Mustang remains a RWD only two door coupe and convertible, as God intended...just with a Hybrid motor so you don't feel left behind by Teslas at the track anymore.
pffan1990 likes this.
Assimilator is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 03:32 PM
Ford Escort
 
pffan1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Danville, Kentucky
Posts: 68
Re: New 2023 Lincoln Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
I can tell you Mustang remains a RWD only two door coupe and convertible, as God intended...just with a Hybrid motor so you don't feel left behind by Teslas at the track anymore.
I appreciate you telling me this. I am happy knowing they are keeping it the way it should be. I would think that after 54 continuous years and 10 million Mustangs made, that Ford realizes they cannot mess it up. I figured the Hybrid is there for the Tesla type cars but figured it would have all wheel drive with electric front motors. I would have been fine with all wheel drive for Hybrids but wanted only rear drive for the rest. So I'm glad with what you said and will wait over time to know the rest of what I had asked, by Ford's future announcements.
Falc'man likes this.

So fascinated with Ford's EcoBoost technology!!!
pffan1990 is online now  
 
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 04:40 PM
Focus RS WRC
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 864
Re: New 2023 Lincoln Crossover

I still can't see why Ford would continue to develop one platform-- the S650--for one model--Mustang. Especially when a 4-door sports sedan, not associated with Mustang (make it a Lincoln) could make great use of that platform.

Ford insiders consistently urge us on this forum to believe that Ford is making the right moves; especially regarding Lincoln. So I invite one of you to please explain this to us?
pffan1990 and Bloggin like this.
glyphics is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 06:46 PM
FIN Staff Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,884
Re: New 2023 Lincoln Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
I'm told the 2023 Edge is FWD so that would seem to preclude that it's based on CD6. Ford did acknowledge that the C2 platform was scalable to underpin everything from Fiesta to Edge so I think that may indicate it's C2 which would make more sense. I'll certainly keep an ear open.

Mach1 (known as C-EV internally), is based on Fords new dedicated BEV architecture, which has its roots in the new C2. Mach 1 is virtually identical in size to the NG Escape. It's starting to look a little less Mustang-like as they refine the final design, the original CG sketch looked cartoonish to me but now it looks more refined and very NG Escape/Edge like with a bit of that longer and wider Mustang fascia. I'm not a huge fan of the long-hood trend but I've learned that every trend is just a counter-trend. It's clear they don't want it to look like a wimpy EV, it's more robust and modern which I like. It's no Tesla but it's definitely not a Bolt either.
Is it something similar to the i-Pace?

Bloggin is offline  
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,812
Re: New 2023 Lincoln Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
Is it something similar to the i-Pace?

I guess you could say that, not quite as exotic however.
Assimilator is offline  
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 09:28 PM
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,435
Re: New 2023 Lincoln Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
I still can't see why Ford would continue to develop one platform-- the S650--for one model--Mustang. Especially when a 4-door sports sedan, not associated with Mustang (make it a Lincoln) could make great use of that platform.

Ford insiders consistently urge us on this forum to believe that Ford is making the right moves; especially regarding Lincoln. So I invite one of you to please explain this to us?
Right moves? Depends on your POV.

If you are a Ford shareholder, the right moves are clearly in play, eliminating low volume, small margin products like a sedan.

If you are one of the few that prefer sedans, then you can either join the masses that are switching, or buy another brand.
ehaase likes this.
wingsnut is online now  
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:29 AM
Ford Focus ZX
 
Falc'man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 318
Re: New 2023 Lincoln Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
I still can't see why Ford would continue to develop one platform-- the S650--for one model--Mustang. Especially when a 4-door sports sedan, not associated with Mustang (make it a Lincoln) could make great use of that platform.

Ford insiders consistently urge us on this forum to believe that Ford is making the right moves; especially regarding Lincoln. So I invite one of you to please explain this to us?
In a typical situation, yes, Mustang would have been either killed or absorbed into a FWD platform (refer Ford Probe), but they've realised Mustang is unique in that it's the face of Ford in many ways. A hero model that draws a lot of good attention to the brand. It's integral to Ford's marketing, globally, and if it pays for itself then it's free marketing. It's a crowd magnet in more ways than one.
ehaase, falcon lover and pffan1990 like this.
Falc'man is offline  
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:33 AM
Ford Focus ZX
 
Falc'man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 318
Re: New 2023 Lincoln Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by pffan1990 View Post
So the Mustang is indeed on updated version of current platform (codenamed S650)? Can you say if the next Mustang remains traditional... 2 doors, long hood/short trunk, coupe/convertible/maybe even hatchback, rear drive (with maybe all wheel drive for hybrids, electrics, etc.), with still manual offered for V8? I'm afraid they're considering sedan or a sporty crossover version of it with all wheel drive. I hope they keep Mustang 2 door coupe/convertible with maybe even hatchback to it. Not sure if you know but just wondering. I don't want you to reveal anything if it jeopardizes your job. PM me if you can or just simply say you can't comment and I'll just move on.
When we first heard it's not going onto CD6 the main reason, we were told, was to keep the long hood/short trunk proportions, and on CD6 it would have been more of a Supra sized car with even less space, and, (just me speculating) it could have lost the V8 as well.
ehaase and pffan1990 like this.
Falc'man is offline  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 02:48 AM
Ford Escort
 
pffan1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Danville, Kentucky
Posts: 68
Re: New 2023 Lincoln Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
In a typical situation, yes, Mustang would have been either killed or absorbed into a FWD platform (refer Ford Probe), but they've realised Mustang is unique in that it's the face of Ford in many ways. A hero model that draws a lot of good attention to the brand. It's integral to Ford's marketing, globally, and if it pays for itself then it's free marketing. It's a crowd magnet in more ways than one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
When we first heard it's not going onto CD6 the main reason, we were told, was to keep the long hood/short trunk proportions, and on CD6 it would have been more of a Supra sized car with even less space, and, (just me speculating) it could have lost the V8 as well.

Now when you put it like that, it makes sense then why Ford is doing the S650 based on updated version of S550. To keep the long hood/short trunk styling. I had previously thought the CD6 was predesigned to accommodate the Explorer/Aviator and then the sporty coupe/convertible with the long hood proportion but now realize the CD6 is not that scalable as I had thought. So I guess their reasoning for S650 makes sense. Especially if it will pay for itself over time with sales and the marketing. I wonder if the current S550 that has been on sale since 2015 is almost done paying itself off? Seeing how it's based on S197 (unless I'm mistaken), I would say it's almost paid off by now. Makes sense to do it that way since Ford has done the orphaned platform since 2005 (not counting the 1994-2004 since SN95 was heavily revised of the old Fox, hence the Fox-4 codename as it's also known).

I was just confused about what Ford was doing with Mustang because of announcements by Ford regarding their plans for the platform/architecture count reductions to just five. It mentioned the longitutinal unibody and transverse unibody along with body-on-frame rear drive, unibody van, and electric. No mention in the announcements regarding the orphan platform just for Mustang unless they didn't want to announce that as a way of giving out any information they were ready to share yet. I'm also thinking the S650 may be a short run of sorts to keep Mustang going until they figure out how to incorporate the Mustang into future revisions of CD6 which would by then likely be around 2030. Unless, Ford decides to just keep the Mustang as orphaned product. Which again is fine with me for their reasoning of it (long hood/short trunk and keeping V8). Just found it odd that the platform wasn't as part of their count of platform/architecture in their recent announcements.

Back to the 2023 Lincoln Crossover that was the topic of thread, I think it may be the Lincoln variant of the Ford Focus Active but in more sloped sporty back and with more luxury in mind. If it's to be made in China alongside the Active, makes sense to me unless it's something else. We'll find out soon hopefully. I'm just thinking that it should be soon that we'll start to finally preview, see, and hear more info of all the upcoming products and I'm excited. The updated 2019 Edge and Transit Connect should soon be coming out. We'll hear more about the Ranger regarding engine power figures, fuel economy, and capabilities of towing and payload. Then we'll know about Ford's plans for Focus Active due to the tariffs issue, along with the reveals of next generation Explorer, Escape, Bronco, baby Bronco, and much more. They're coming soon but they just can't get here quick enough. It's just over 4 months before the Detroit Auto Show where the Bronco is likely to be revealed if not shown in Concept form parked on stage. So excited!!
ehaase likes this.

So fascinated with Ford's EcoBoost technology!!!
pffan1990 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome