New 2023 Lincoln Crossover - Ford Inside News Community
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

New 2023 Lincoln Crossover

One of the new Lincoln nameplates arriving for 2023 (CX742) is some sort of Chinese-built crossover with the wheelbase of the NG Escape and Corsair. It's powered by a 2.0L and 2.3L engine (no Hybrid indicated which is odd). Just something to be on the look out for as details emerge. It's suppose to be built alongside the Focus Active in China and exported to the US. I guess this could be a coupe-like low-slung utility, really not sure at all right now.

Still finding zero evidence of a NG Sedan or Car at Lincoln through 2023 but the product cadence starts to look very thin after next year if they don't have other vehicles coming. I don't have confirmation at all yet but I have to think Lincoln will do something with C-EV (Mach1). I assume it's one of the two new utility nameplates after Aviator and Corsair, along with whatever they call this 2023 small utility.

I know Lincoln is not getting a version of Mustang (S650) in 2022, mostly because the entire CD6 car program was cancelled at Ford (CD6 Mustang was cancelled back in 2016 I believe). It was suppose to be the basis of the next-generation Continental and was one of the reasons the CD6 was justified by Fields in his bid to resurrect Lincoln. So it's going to be a fairly under utilized platform unfortunately, I don't see any other products using it besides Explorer/Aviator.

I hesitate to say this but I think Lincoln is just out of the car business entirely, at least through 2023, and it might have ended RIGHT when they had the technology people wanted. It's kinda tragic really...hoping that's not the case. Lincoln just needs to start speaking up.

Wings said he had the product codes through 2026, I only have them through 2023. I'm sure he can confirm if there are any new Lincoln S(sport) or C(car) codes pretty easily, or basically anything that's not CX (C Crossover), CD (C/D Crossover), U (SUV), B (B-Segment), P (Truck) or V (Van).
ehaase, joseodiaga4 and glyphics like this.

Last edited by Assimilator; 08-21-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 12:15 AM
Focus RS

Re: New 2023 Lincoln Crossover

Could it be an off-road like wagon (like Audi, Volvo)?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 12:24 AM
Ford Focus ZX

I thought it was only late last year that Ford chose to base S650 off the current platform.

That does seem strange that D6 will only get 1-2 vehicles. What is the next gen Edge based off? Is Mach1 definitely on that EV platform and not D6?

I'm against Ford making a sedan if it's going to be in the same vain as the Fusion, Taurus, and Falcon. It needs to be totally desirable and a downright headkicker - not a glorified white-goods product.
glyphics likes this.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 05:58 AM
Ford Sport Ka

Garage

getting tired of all these crossovers they are not fun to drive and you will never see one in any form at a auto cross. Ford needs to build some cars you don't see Audi, Benz, Honda, and BMW dropping their cars. Not everyone wants a top heavy soccer moms vehicle. Hate crossover vehicles because they have no place to put stuff that makes rattles in the back of the vehicle no trunk. It seems all Ford is concern with is making big money on each transaction and screwing the typical Ford customer. I guess were going back to you can have any color you want as long as it black sorry SUV. I guess Ford is writing off their customers who want a car still. I was hoping Lincoln would still make some cars but I guess that's a bust.
glyphics likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 06:26 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
One of the new Lincoln nameplates arriving for 2023 (CX742) is some sort of Chinese-built crossover with the wheelbase of the NG Escape and Corsair. It's powered by a 2.0L and 2.3L engine (no Hybrid indicated which is odd). Just something to be on the look out for as details emerge. It's suppose to be built alongside the Focus Active in China and exported to the US. I guess this could be a coupe-like low-slung utility, really not sure at all right now.

Still finding zero evidence of a NG Sedan or Car at Lincoln through 2023 but the product cadence starts to look very thin after next year if they don't have other vehicles coming. I don't have confirmation at all yet but I have to think Lincoln will do something with C-EV (Mach1). I assume it's one of the two new utility nameplates after Aviator and Corsair, along with whatever they call this 2023 small utility.

I know Lincoln is not getting a version of Mustang (S650) in 2022, mostly because the entire CD6 car program was cancelled at Ford (CD6 Mustang was cancelled back in 2016 I believe). It was suppose to be the basis of the next-generation Continental and was one of the reasons the CD6 was justified by Fields in his bid to resurrect Lincoln. So it's going to be a fairly under utilized platform unfortunately, I don't see any other products using it besides Explorer/Aviator.

I hesitate to say this but I think Lincoln is just out of the car business entirely, at least through 2023, and it might have ended RIGHT when they had the technology people wanted. It's kinda tragic really...hoping that's not the case. Lincoln just needs to start speaking up.

Wings said he had the product codes through 2026, I only have them through 2023. I'm sure he can confirm if there are any new Lincoln S(sport) or C(car) codes pretty easily, or basically anything that's not CX (C Crossover), CD (C/D Crossover), U (SUV), B (B-Segment), P (Truck) or V (Van).

That crossover must be the replacement for the current C-Max, and is nice to hear that Lincoln will have a version of it.

About the Mustang and a possible Lincoln version, will the next Mustang be build on the RWD Unibody Architecture (CD6) or on a different platform? Ford say the platforms will be reduced to just 5, and the Mustang only can be designed on the RWD unibody .

Last edited by falcon lover; 08-22-2018 at 09:54 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Mustang is apparently staying on an updated version of the current platform. I was under the impression it was getting CD6 once Ford acknowledged their new unified platform strategy. I'm not sure what is happening with Mustang at this stage, only that it is still getting a V8 Hybrid. I assume they'll make tweaks to the platform for the HEV, but I don't think much needs to change for that besides battery mountings and perhaps a revised transmission tunnel.

I guess it's worth pointing out that there are some suspension similarities with the CD6 (and CD4 for that matter).
falcon lover likes this.

Last edited by Assimilator; 08-22-2018 at 10:13 AM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 11:33 AM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
I thought it was only late last year that Ford chose to base S650 off the current platform.
At first, I thought that S650 was a mod to the current platform to allow AWD for the Mustang. Then I thought that CD6 was a new scalable modular platform that would bring Ford into the 21st century. Wrong!

Quote:
That does seem strange that D6 will only get 1-2 vehicles. What is the next gen Edge based off? Is Mach1 definitely on that EV platform and not D6?
Not strange at all. Ford is the master at getting no economies-of-scale and at minimizing ROI. One platform only for Mustang is proof. A whole family of RWD vehicles could have been built on S550. One, a 4-door sedan for Lincoln was nixed by the Ford family. Same old same old.

Quote:
I'm against Ford making a sedan if it's going to be in the same vain as the Fusion, Taurus, and Falcon. It needs to be totally desirable and a downright headkicker - not a glorified white-goods product.
If Ford is out of the sedan business, then Lincoln is out of the sedan business. That's the Ford way. I thought that the (CD4) Continental was a mere placeholder until the real (CD6) Conti was premiered. Wrong! Word from Ford family shareholders; "Don't let Lincoln shine too bright but, darn it, we have to do something about Escalade."

Same old same old.
Falc'man likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 12:17 PM
Ford Explorer

Unfortunately, pretty much every doubt is true. That's all I can say.

But, what I am seeing, looks good too.

So confused.
ehaase likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Lincoln can make sedans but it will obviously need to do it with it's own budget and resources, which are extremely limited. Either way, it's too late to start now. Right now Lincoln is mostly a money loosing business with declining sales so I would not be entirely surprised if they just stick with the utilities Ford can make for them. The utilities will recover some of the lost volume from their unprofitable sedans with profitable utilities. China is essentially their last hope and that may determine what they ultimately invest in. Without the promise of China, I am absolutely certain Lincoln would have been folded. But if we are going to get Lincoln cars, China will make it possible. I do think Lincoln is struggling with the changes at Ford, but I think they'll still benefit from all their new utilities. If Lincoln can't grow with Corsair, Nautilus, Aviator, and Navigator, then it's probably never going to be worth Ford's time. I don't expect any of these cars to be blockbusters or particularly noteworthy in the grand scheme of the hyper competitive luxury market, but just getting Lincoln on the same playing field is a big step.

Last edited by Assimilator; 08-22-2018 at 12:36 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Quote:

I'm told the 2023 Edge is FWD so that would seem to preclude that it's based on CD6. Ford did acknowledge that the C2 platform was scalable to underpin everything from Fiesta to Edge so I think that may indicate it's C2 which would make more sense. I'll certainly keep an ear open.

Mach1 (known as C-EV internally), is based on Fords new dedicated BEV architecture, which has its roots in the new C2. Mach 1 is virtually identical in size to the NG Escape. It's starting to look a little less Mustang-like as they refine the final design, the original CG sketch looked cartoonish to me but now it looks more refined and very NG Escape/Edge like with a bit of that longer and wider Mustang fascia. I'm not a huge fan of the long-hood trend but I've learned that every trend is just a counter-trend. It's clear they don't want it to look like a wimpy EV, it's more robust and modern which I like. It's no Tesla but it's definitely not a Bolt either.
ehaase and Falc'man like this.

Last edited by Assimilator; 08-22-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in