2019 Nautilus First Drive - Page 5 - Ford Inside News Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 12:34 PM
Focus RS WRC

Re: 2019 Nautilus First Drive

It's just that some companies manage the complexities of mass-production/quality-control for fit and finish better than others. The same is true of vehicle refinement, vehicle design and vehicle engineering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 01:15 PM
Ford Kuga

Ford does tend to suffer from launch problems more than ongoing quality problems. They solve their problems eventually, but they can't seem to avoid them up front. The Expedition and Navigator just went through this. I don't know if they have a poor relationship with their suppliers or it's just a bad quality control system. Either way I know we are going to see it crop up again with Escape, Explorer, Ranger, etc. All products I would avoid for the first 3-6 months of production, or at least don't expect orders to be delivered in a timely fashion.
pffan1990 and joseodiaga4 like this.
post #43 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 02:17 PM
Ford Explorer

Borg, you simply can't assume that any single launch challenge from the past can translate into all new future launch expectations, as they are all 100% unique. Ford launches a lot of product, believe it or not, most of which with massive complexities in options, engine choices, transmissions, AWD or FWD, hybrid option, cab configurations, etc. and they often do so with little to zero launch issues. Now think of how easy Honda has it. They don't even offer AWD in most of their cars, and few options. Heck, they barely have many engine options. Complexities like that are far easier to launch anyway.

Meh, Ford's goal is of course perfect launches and high quality, like everyone else. And they seem to be improving on that goal, overall, and not going backwards. It's pretty easy to select some low hanging fruit and wax eloquently about the need to improve quality. I just don't see any current issues with quality, just occasional set backs. Quality is just not something I view as a major issue at Ford.
falcon lover and badhac like this.

post #44 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 05:42 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Turning to the original conversation, here another article about the Nautilus. A good review...
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-luxury/page-2
Logans Run and badhac like this.

post #45 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 06:52 AM
Ford Sport Ka

Garage

I understand what your saying Wingsnut would like to think your wright just do not agree. The 2018 mustang manual transmission is a good case. How did engineering let those weak shiftier forks pass as good. It is a issue since they have a new TSB now.

Two of my friends bought F150's with the 3.5 ecoboost both ended up with a timing chain issue. With all their testing how could they not get the timing chains wright? One failed at 90,000 cost him 2,000 plus and the other at 190,000 cost him 4,000 plus. Engineering had to know from the get go the system was weak because they changed it on the 2014's and up. I have never had a timing chain go out on any of my Ford engines its just a rare thing. So how did they come out with a design on the early 3.5 engines that will fail early in the life of the truck. Especially Since the 3.5 was the most tested engine by Ford, baja tested as my friend joking tells me now. Would have never recommend the motor to my friends if I would have know this.

I just hope the Nautilus is a Great vehicle. I have always loved Lincoln's wanted one all my life. But now that I can get the one I want, it comes in and was just a total letdown. Really wanted to upgrade from my black label MKZ to a Continental, but what came in had way too many Quality issues. I know all cars have issues just hope Ford gets better, because wright now they are falling short for me. I will quit my rant now. You guys and gals have a good day I will not waste no more of your time on this.

Last edited by SHELBY32; 09-24-2018 at 07:07 AM.
post #46 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 09:54 AM
Ford Flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
Turning to the original conversation, here another article about the Nautilus. A good review...
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-luxury/page-2
The comments from this article indicate that everyone loves the exterior redo, but the dash/console should have been reworked a bit more. I agree, if this will be a 3-year run and a total replacement is not expected to come until the fall of 2021. If it is planning to come earlier, I think it was likely a fair trade off.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
post #47 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 10:32 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
The comments from this article indicate that everyone loves the exterior redo, but the dash/console should have been reworked a bit more. I agree, if this will be a 3-year run and a total replacement is not expected to come until the fall of 2021. If it is planning to come earlier, I think it was likely a fair trade off.

That console/dash can be redone in 1, 2 or 3 years, if Lincoln need it. IMO, is not a problem.

post #48 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 10:53 AM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
... So, you mean the companies that are still $elling $edan$?
Selling "conssiderably fewer" sedans than they'd like, is what I think you mean.

If GM can justify Buick, and if Honda can justify Acura, we can damned well have Mercury back.
post #49 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 12:38 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHELBY32 View Post
I understand what your saying Wingsnut would like to think your wright just do not agree. The 2018 mustang manual transmission is a good case. How did engineering let those weak shiftier forks pass as good. It is a issue since they have a new TSB now.

Two of my friends bought F150's with the 3.5 ecoboost both ended up with a timing chain issue. With all their testing how could they not get the timing chains wright? One failed at 90,000 cost him 2,000 plus and the other at 190,000 cost him 4,000 plus. Engineering had to know from the get go the system was weak because they changed it on the 2014's and up. I have never had a timing chain go out on any of my Ford engines its just a rare thing. So how did they come out with a design on the early 3.5 engines that will fail early in the life of the truck. Especially Since the 3.5 was the most tested engine by Ford, baja tested as my friend joking tells me now. Would have never recommend the motor to my friends if I would have know this.

I just hope the Nautilus is a Great vehicle. I have always loved Lincoln's wanted one all my life. But now that I can get the one I want, it comes in and was just a total letdown. Really wanted to upgrade from my black label MKZ to a Continental, but what came in had way too many Quality issues. I know all cars have issues just hope Ford gets better, because wright now they are falling short for me. I will quit my rant now. You guys and gals have a good day I will not waste no more of your time on this.

I don't know why they switched to aluminum shifting forks from steel, but the solution is in place, and the failure rate was very low, and obviously only became an issue under hard use.

The 3.5L chain stretch issue I am very familiar with, and the root cause is entirely poor oil quality that degrades the chain drive system, including composite chain guides.

Yes, in both cases, adequate engineered durability from external noise factors has failed the customer, and yes, of course they need to avoid and improve on that. Not really a point to debate. And once again, all I can say is that there is no company offering as many full line products as Ford, that does not struggle with problems somewhere.
post #50 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 12:47 PM
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
Ford and Lincoln stopped redesigning their interiors during their MCEs, at best we'll see console or IP revisions. The MKX has long been criticized for interior design by onlookers, but I certainly like it for the most part. It's definitely out of step with most luxury automakers and a bit dated, but it's still a nice place to be. I'm glad they didn't update it the way they updated the 2017 MKZ which is a tacky mess IMO.

I don't think they'll see more sales with Nautilus, especially as Aviator and Corsair come online and the Nauti becomes the old fuddy-duddy.

The next gen Nautilus is actually a 2023 MY product, obviously we'll see that in 2022. We're in very early development on those.

I took a photo of my 2018 last night with the new iPhone Xs Max, still really love the car. Obviously my last MKX, I've leased 5 since 2007.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0023.jpg (227.7 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Assimilator; 09-24-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page