Ford Inside News banner

2019 Nautilus First Drive

16K views 57 replies 19 participants last post by  rmc523 
#1 ·
#42 ·
Ford does tend to suffer from launch problems more than ongoing quality problems. They solve their problems eventually, but they can't seem to avoid them up front. The Expedition and Navigator just went through this. I don't know if they have a poor relationship with their suppliers or it's just a bad quality control system. Either way I know we are going to see it crop up again with Escape, Explorer, Ranger, etc. All products I would avoid for the first 3-6 months of production, or at least don't expect orders to be delivered in a timely fashion.

#43 ·
Borg, you simply can't assume that any single launch challenge from the past can translate into all new future launch expectations, as they are all 100% unique. Ford launches a lot of product, believe it or not, most of which with massive complexities in options, engine choices, transmissions, AWD or FWD, hybrid option, cab configurations, etc. and they often do so with little to zero launch issues. Now think of how easy Honda has it. They don't even offer AWD in most of their cars, and few options. Heck, they barely have many engine options. Complexities like that are far easier to launch anyway.

Meh, Ford's goal is of course perfect launches and high quality, like everyone else. And they seem to be improving on that goal, overall, and not going backwards. It's pretty easy to select some low hanging fruit and wax eloquently about the need to improve quality. I just don't see any current issues with quality, just occasional set backs. Quality is just not something I view as a major issue at Ford.

#46 ·
The comments from this article indicate that everyone loves the exterior redo, but the dash/console should have been reworked a bit more. I agree, if this will be a 3-year run and a total replacement is not expected to come until the fall of 2021. If it is planning to come earlier, I think it was likely a fair trade off.

#45 · (Edited)
I understand what your saying Wingsnut would like to think your wright just do not agree. The 2018 mustang manual transmission is a good case. How did engineering let those weak shiftier forks pass as good. It is a issue since they have a new TSB now.

Two of my friends bought F150's with the 3.5 ecoboost both ended up with a timing chain issue. With all their testing how could they not get the timing chains wright? One failed at 90,000 cost him 2,000 plus and the other at 190,000 cost him 4,000 plus. Engineering had to know from the get go the system was weak because they changed it on the 2014's and up. I have never had a timing chain go out on any of my Ford engines its just a rare thing. So how did they come out with a design on the early 3.5 engines that will fail early in the life of the truck. Especially Since the 3.5 was the most tested engine by Ford, baja tested as my friend joking tells me now. Would have never recommend the motor to my friends if I would have know this.

I just hope the Nautilus is a Great vehicle. I have always loved Lincoln's wanted one all my life. But now that I can get the one I want, it comes in and was just a total letdown. Really wanted to upgrade from my black label MKZ to a Continental, but what came in had way too many Quality issues. I know all cars have issues just hope Ford gets better, because wright now they are falling short for me. I will quit my rant now. You guys and gals have a good day I will not waste no more of your time on this.

#49 ·
I don't know why they switched to aluminum shifting forks from steel, but the solution is in place, and the failure rate was very low, and obviously only became an issue under hard use.

The 3.5L chain stretch issue I am very familiar with, and the root cause is entirely poor oil quality that degrades the chain drive system, including composite chain guides.

Yes, in both cases, adequate engineered durability from external noise factors has failed the customer, and yes, of course they need to avoid and improve on that. Not really a point to debate. And once again, all I can say is that there is no company offering as many full line products as Ford, that does not struggle with problems somewhere.

#52 ·
I am curious to see if Nautilus will excite anymore sales with the name change and the new Navigator face, I suspect the needle won't move...which wouldn't be a bad thing at all with Corsair and Aviator sharing the showrooms in the next year or two. Lincoln has long since hit its ceiling for most of its models and is focusing on expanding segments to attract new customers and making those sales more profitable.

#53 ·
I think it'll at least tread water as their midsize crossover offering.

Part of me does wonder if giving it a name (and it'll be interesting to see what kind of marketing the do) will give it more attention than it otherwise would get as a refreshed MKX? Not necessarily to the people that already know what MKX is, but to those that don't. "oh did you see that new Nautilus?"

Reactions: spudz64
#54 ·
I do think the Nautilus will hold ground for them at least, but most likely will benefit of the Aviator debuting and generating more Lincoln buzz. If the Aviator has the 3.0TT V6 std I expect it will sticker near $60,000, if the 2.7TT V6 is used maybe near $55,000? So I think the Nautilus will grab those who might be attracted to the Aviator but find it too $$ for them, and to them, they see the similar new nose and find it fresh (enough).

#55 ·
I'm already focusing on the Aviator as my Audi Q7 replacement.

Initially, I was playing with the idea of a fully loaded plug-in BL Aviator for my mother and a loaded Q7 for myself but it seems that the aviator I'm looking at could be just as expensive as my current Q7 ($90K). If that's the case, I'll gladly take the Aviator myself and get a an all-new 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee for my mum just to keep it somewhat affordable - LOL...:)

#58 ·
CD4. And I believe they stupidly weren't designed to get one. Any hybrid for them would have to wait for next-gen models.

Reactions: badhac
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.