2020 MKZ/Continental - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:47 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: 2020 MKZ/Continental

I spent a day in a loaded Conti 3.0T AWD. On a smooth highway, it really shines with few contenders for the $$. But there are very few smooth highways in Metro Detroit, so every bump and pothole reminded me what the lower rent bones consisted of. I would take an A6 over Conti any day. I spend a lot of time driving one, and that chassis is far superior.
ehaase, ZanatWork and SP1966 like this.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 03:33 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
I spent a day in a loaded Conti 3.0T AWD. On a smooth highway, it really shines with few contenders for the $$. But there are very few smooth highways in Metro Detroit, so every bump and pothole reminded me what the lower rent bones consisted of. I would take an A6 over Conti any day. I spend a lot of time driving one, and that chassis is far superior.
I'm impressed with what Lincoln managed to accomplish with the Continental given the limitations it started with. While I understand Ford/Lincoln's decision to step away from traditional sedans it sure would have been fun to see what they could have done with a proper platform!
glyphics and iculookn like this.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 04:06 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
I'm impressed with what Lincoln managed to accomplish with the Continental given the limitations it started with. While I understand Ford/Lincoln's decision to step away from traditional sedans it sure would have been fun to see what they could have done with a proper platform!
Never say never. Who knows what the next CEO will bring, lol. But I do get their reasoning, that a huge investment in a segment that will yield minor volumes, is not a priority at the moment.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:10 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Maybe Ford never should have bothered with the CD4 Continental and waited to try with a RWD CD6 Continental. But that probably would have flopped too. People with money just want to sit up high.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:14 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaase View Post
Maybe Ford never should have bothered with the CD4 Continental and waited to try with a RWD CD6 Continental. But that probably would have flopped too. People with money just want to sit up high.
This is just me but, even if there was an $80K CD6 based all new Conti sitting next to the new Aviator (also CD6) costing maybe a bit more, my money is going to the Aviator.

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Ford Ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Love the icon! I’m a native of Metro Detroit as well, and there is no way I’d take my MKZ down Sibley road, Jefferson, or anything past the end of the Dream Cruise on Woodard.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:24 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKZ_54 View Post
Love the icon! Iím a native of Metro Detroit as well, and there is no way Iíd take my MKZ down Sibley road, Jefferson, or anything past the end of the Dream Cruise on Woodard.
I managed only about 3 blown tires this last season, and 1 bent rim. Previous years I have seen half a dozen easy. Our roads are horrible. No doubt

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:55 AM
Ford Flex

I guess I am lucky. I have only had one flat tire...ever.
That was in 1985, and there was a pot hole right next to a railroad track, that was hidden by a puddle.
Luckily I had a hammer and a pump for my bicycle in the trunk, and I was able to bang it back into shape (good old 13" steel rims) and pump it up without even taking the wheel off.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:52 AM
Ford Focus ZX

I don't know, I love our CT6. Big crossovers just don't drive as well. Every time I pass some schmuck in an Escalade, I smile wryly. We average about 60mpg in our plugin, and the thing still does 0-60 in 5 seconds and 104 qtr, with a limousine sized back seat...and it handles well. I just don't get the give up everything for seating position mentality. If Ford made a CD6 Aviator GT as a sedan, I'd trade the 6 in a heartbeat. I just don't need 3 rows of room.
SP1966, glyphics and iculookn like this.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:13 PM
Ford Explorer

Give up everything for seating position?
More like, gain everything except a bit more driving dynamics.

I tried going back to sedans, and I am now ready to jump right back to SUV's. Far more benefits. If I could afford it, the 600ft lb new Aviator would be my poison.
Haul people
Haul stuff
Haul boats
Haul ass

Oh, and yes, seating position is great, being able to see around all the other trucks and SUV's on the road.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page