2020 MKZ/Continental - Ford Inside News Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Ford Ka

2020 MKZ/Continental

We have heard the “rumors” the fusion body will be discounted, and of a EV using a Mustang frame, so . . . OK.

We’ve also heard about how the Lincoln flag ship Continental and MKZ haven’t sold well. Umm ok. So why did it take my dealership almost a month to track down my 2017 3.0T AWD Black Label, and why have a never seen another, nor a Continental version on the street, yet I see the 2.0 and Hybrids everywhere, including the dealer lot.

So maybe, Lincoln should just stop making 2.0/2.0 hybrids 2WD MKZ/Continentals, and only put out Black Label high performance,(like 450-500+hp) with Intelligent AWD versions, and not just “luxury Fusions”?

Sure, there’s logistics of factory space, chassis supply etc. that I simply don’t have the data to argue, however who’s to say that Lincoln cannot do what Caddy has done, and mop the floor with them while doing it?

Whether Hackett will ever grow a pair and do it, maybe doubtful, but I can sure as **** say I would be ordering a >500 hp AWD MKZ, even if it is an EV, as soon as I could
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:15 AM
Ford Explorer

Re: 2020 MKZ/Continental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKZ_54 View Post
who’s to say that Lincoln cannot do what Caddy has done, and mop the floor with them while doing it?
You want Lincoln to build great sedans that nobody wants to buy?
wingsnut likes this.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:17 AM
Ford Explorer

MKZ and Conti have been offered with 400hp AWD for years now. More power than most need. Not exactly a bad place to spend time either.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:39 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

I recall a statement that Lincoln was not getting out of sedans, and they only have 2...so, we'll see. I know various Mustang/CD6 derivate rumors getting louder in months ahead.
glyphics likes this.

If GM can justify Buick, and if Honda can justify Acura, we can damned well have Mercury back.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:53 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanatWork View Post
I recall a statement that Lincoln was not getting out of sedans, and they only have 2...so, we'll see. I know various Mustang/CD6 derivate rumors getting louder in months ahead.
Well, we can still hope, can't we? High margins, luxury and Lincoln are almost synonymous.

But the pundits have spoken. Sedans are DEAD. Why build cars that NOBODY wants. March in lock-step or else feel the wrath.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 04:27 PM
Ford Focus ZX

I'm convinced there is room in Lincoln's lineup for one white space model approximating a conventional sedan. In my head it's about 200" long, it's built on CD6 with the Aviator's powertrains, and it has a swoopy but practical liftback design. Think A7/S7 on a budget, but not bargain basement pricing. $55k sounds about right.

Lincoln made the investment in CD6 and wonderful longitudinal powertrains, they need to take advantage of them.
spudz64 likes this.

Rod

2017 MKX 2.7T Black Label
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:23 PM
Focus RS WRC

A7 or Polestar 2 type vehicle...Maybe?

+

=

?
pffan1990 and blp1t like this.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:28 AM
Focus RS

Any word on how many Coach Door Continential's will be produced for the 2020 model year?

I know they are doing only 80 for 2019.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Ford Ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
Quote:
who’s to say that Lincoln cannot do what Caddy has done, and mop the floor with them while doing it?
You want Lincoln to build great sedans that nobody wants to buy?
But people want to by the high performance versions. Ford loves to do there annoying: flood the market with the small engine/basic model, and make the high performance/luxury hard as **** for even dealers to find.

The 3.0T AWDs Black Labels blow everything thing in the under 100k Luxeey Sedan away. Performance, Intererior, soundsystem, benefits, service you name it. . . So why buy anything less, and moreover why make anything else
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:01 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
But people want to by the high performance versions. Ford loves to do there annoying: flood the market with the small engine/basic model, and make the high performance/luxury hard as **** for even dealers to find.
There is not enough volume in performance sales alone to justify the investment. I, like you, would love to see these types of cars from Lincoln, but it's just not realistic in the current market situation.

Quote:
The 3.0T AWDs Black Labels blow everything thing in the under 100k Luxeey Sedan away. Performance, Intererior, soundsystem, benefits, service you name it. . . So why buy anything less, and moreover why make anything else
Nope, no way is that true. There are many sub-$100k premium sports sedans that are better products than the MKZ and Conti even with BL and the 3.0T. They're both really nice sedans, but I'd never spend my own money on either. Proper D6 based sedans could surely change my mind on that, but again, there just isn't enough volume to justify the investment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in