2020 Lincoln Aviator First Drive - Page 10 - Ford Inside News Community
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:50 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: 2020 Lincoln Aviator First Drive

Another very positive review in link below. Final view point: " Worth every single Lincoln head-ed penny spent"

https://www.wardsauto.com/test-drive...m_source=26155
falcon lover likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:58 PM
Ford Focus

I, for one, would like to see some instrumented tests to compare hybrid vs gas. Being over 8 weeks into a top-line gas Aviator (no BL available in Canada unfortunately) order, Iím doing some hand-wringing. We know the PHEV is much/relatively heavier and I suspect the two arenít that far off in terms of acceleration, despite the power/torque numbers.

I have no interest in electric-only range as I have a commuter vehicle already, an MKZ that I plan on trading for either a MKZ hybrid or Fusion Energi sometime soon.

I just want objective information so I can be sure I made the right choice.
hirzelt likes this.
post #93 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:17 PM
Ford Explorer

The added weight is 700lbs. The link I posted above mentioned "about 1-2 sec" quicker. That's about the difference between a GT350 and GT500.

My point, it's not just about a single number in one test, but the whole experience. The Grand Touring Aviator allows you to jump in and drive without even starting the engine. I love that. But I also understand that with gas so cheap and getting cheaper, very few will actually plug in to get the max EV range. Yet to be announced, but FE is about 23-24mpg avg, or about 5mpg more than regular, while also adding a lot of power. But that aside, there is very little to compare for the $$$ while looking as good as the Aviator.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #94 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:40 PM
Ford Focus

^ no compromise is an exciting case for the GT. The extra weight, if it impacted ride quality, would be a deal breaker. One review concerned me in its discussion of just that. Reduced tow ratings also, if that matters to anyone.

I am looking forward to a much more mature ride quality than the MKX, which to me rides overly floaty at times to downright harsh in other times. Comfort, normal or sport itís palpable. Over bad asphalt it beats you up!

But yes, the ability to start off in electric mode would be cool. But, above all else, show me the 0-60.
post #95 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:21 PM
Ford Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam79 View Post
^ no compromise is an exciting case for the GT. The extra weight, if it impacted ride quality, would be a deal breaker. One review concerned me in its discussion of just that. Reduced tow ratings also, if that matters to anyone.
A review I watched stated that the extra weight made the Avi feel more planted to the road.

My biggest concern so far are the lease-numbers/deals. Although the Navigator sold and sells well without any factory incentives, the competition the Avi has is much bigger. Granted, the GT is a one of a kind vehicle but if the consumers are willing to pay a one of a kind price for it is another story. And of course the non-GT is not that much more special and faces the same issue.

With no discounts, incentives (or even a returning lease bonus) and X-Plan pricing at best, we are looking at $1,300/month on the BL GT. Mind you that gets you into a fully loaded X7 40i which is available at 10% off and has a sticker of $108K.

It makes sense that there won't be any incentives right away but the lease needs to be competitive. As of today, the MF on the Avi is too high. It's even higher than on the BMW and theirs isn't good right now, either. Residuals are OK - the Avi BL has the same as the X7.

Current rides:
2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Black Label
2017 Audi Q7 Prestige
post #96 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 09:58 PM
Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
I love Ford Inside News! It is the only fan site where everyone, except a couple of boys, attacks the cars of the company of which we are supposedly fans!
The Lincoln Aviator is unanimously acclaimed by the entire automotive press as the best luxury corssover with 3 rows of seats on the market. All point out some areas that are likely to be improved , like any other vehicle in the market, especially considering that valuing a vehicle depends a lot on the personal tastes of the evaluator. But, unanimously, the Aviator is considered the best Lincoln of all time and the best luxury crossover of its segment, without exceptions. But on this site some criticize it because it can't travel USA from coast to coast in electric mode, or because they don't have enough money to buy it ("I always choose a Kia over the Aviator because I can't pay it" !!!! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/images/smilies/facepalm.gif[/IMG] !!!! ), Or because it doesn't go from 0 to 60 in 2 sec.!

All these comments provoke this in me: [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/images/smilies/lmao.gif[/IMG]
Everything you stated is correct unfortunately it’s based off a first drive, first drives are always positive....read the 1st drive for the 2011 Explorer - they were all positive, but as soon as the media got access to them and did further testing, the results were underwhelming - to the point that Ford started to refuse press cars!
post #97 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:17 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellb0y View Post
Everything you stated is correct unfortunately itís based off a first drive, first drives are always positive....read the 1st drive for the 2011 Explorer - they were all positive, but as soon as the media got access to them and did further testing, the results were underwhelming - to the point that Ford started to refuse press cars!

Iīm confused.The first drives are made by whom? By Ford executives? Or by the same press that already has full access to the vehicle? These first drives are made by the entire automotive press that, we must point out, has never been favorable to Ford / Lincoln.

Obviously you wanted this new Lincoln to be a disaster. Like others there who want a medium-sized luxury crossover plug-in hybrid to behave like an EV and that's why they call it a failure. Both are wrong, and their wishes were not fulfilled.

post #98 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:54 AM
Ford Explorer

Aviator is doing quite well, in all reviews, don't pay attention to the few who zone in on a metric or two. Especially those who then compare it to 3 or 4 competitors, whereby cherry picking a specific metric off each to comparatively make their case. I doubt any product ever in history can beat every single other product in every possible way. You can always find something. And that is exactly what trolls do, ignore the overall positive, and repeat and regurgitate any lagging metric, and pretend it is a negative deal breaker. And the best part is, they try to explain it as objectivity. Right.
falcon lover likes this.

post #99 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:43 AM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseman View Post
...I wanted to buy a PHEV that could be a good family hauler and run on juice except when we’re on a long trip. 18miles won’t do it. The only thing that will now is the X5 PHEV and I swore off BMW after I experienced their ridiculous maintenance costs. The Cayenne’s range isn’t any better, nor the Volvo XC90.

So, I’ve been left with few choices. I could wait and see what the Mach-E is, but given how badly Ford screwed the EV pooch on the Aviator, I’m not expecting anything good. If I had known Lincoln was going to soft-pedal the PHEV as badly as they have, I’d have picked something else a long time ago. They sure did hide the miserable range as long as they could. At least BMW is up front about it when they introduce them.

But, I’m sure Ford won’t miss my $110k.

Oh... maybe my english is worst than I think. You want a PHEV but you will buy 2, not one, two EVs? [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/images/smilies/Yikes.gif[/IMG]
...superchargers mitigate a lot of my range issues, so yes, my yearly long trips will require 1 SC stop instead of 1 gas stop. Since we eat when we stop (they’re six-seven hour drives), it will be zero difference.

I wanted the Aviator because it still offers a spare tire, while being a PHEV, which is awesome. Relying on roadside assistance sucks for a simple tire change. I could be changed and gone in 10min vs potentially hours of waiting.

There are so many things I love about the Aviator, but that range just kills it for me. Maybe when the Rivian-based Navigator comes around I’ll be back in the Ford fold, or if Ford kills it with the Mach-E and it gets here before the Y.
post #100 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:15 AM
Ford Explorer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page