Ford Inside News banner

2020 Lincoln Aviator First Drive

31K views 109 replies 18 participants last post by  wingsnut 
#1 ·
I believe the Aviator Press First Drive is in June - anyone know the date?

I'm excited to hear how well it drives. Fingers crosss, I would love to see a Lincoln grace the cover of Motor Trend this November when they release the SUV of the Year - I think Lincoln has a shot!

#5 ·
...”embargoed.” Blame Ford for lack of press drives. The only reviews are by actual dealer vehicles loaned out by the dealer. The autovlog video definitely showed the amazing luxury of the interior but was light on driving. I really would like Ford to release info on the GT version.

#12 ·
If sales of Explorer are a bit less, I would chalk that up to adding the Aviator on the same line. I think both will be sales and profit successes.
If I did buy an Explorer, first thing I'd do is install a grill guard to cover up the front.
By the time I am ready to buy again, I will not need three rows, so Bronco is looking like my best option.

#13 ·
Bronco and Aviator will indeed steal right from Explorer, being two all new entrants. Ford recognizes that, and given the choice of increasing TOTAL sales and TOTAL profits.......or maintaining sales champ crown by offering them cheap........yeah, that much is easy. But malaka boy can't understand how business works. Also too, Jeep sales will be hurting.

#22 ·
I'm in love with the Aviator. Just when Lincoln thought they were getting on top of things with meeting the demand for the Navigator along comes the Aviator to put them under even more pressure to meet demand. Yep, I'm calling it, this is another home run. With that much twist it can't not be.

#24 · (Edited)
You are probably the only one that thinks this way...every other press love the Telluride and Palisade. The interior of both is on par with luxury brands but the price is freaking awesome.

That’s the beauty of competition...I bet Ford will either cut prices by quite a bit or throw in heavy incentives to move them.

#31 ·
The Aviator is impressive, but I must say, I prefer the equally impressive and better looking Explorer. Nothing too fancy for me, just the Limited with hybrid option. Averaging 28 mpg or so in a large SUV with AWD that can tow 5K is all I need. With that 18 gal gas tank, I bet highway trips are about 600 miles.

#33 ·
I guess some will never understand the difference between a minivan based hybrid 'SUV' that can't go offroad, can't tow much, is tepidly slow and with road manners that quickly remind you of it's minivan bones. 10 speeds leads the industry as well.

In another review:

The redesigned Explorer's shorter overhangs make it more agile off road, with a 20-degree approach angle to better help it get up and over obstacles. The Hybrid can ford up to 18 inches of water, and the available hill-descent control keeps the Explorer nice and steady on a 45-degree slope (though the system is pretty noisy). The Explorer isn't a serious off-roader, but it's nice to know plenty of capability is baked in, for those who like a good off-the-beaten-path adventure.

Explorer hybrid does it all it seems.

#38 ·
"As a measure to accommodate the other journalists attending the media event, we are restricted from talking about the car’s driving impressions until next week on August 20."

We should start seeing the driving reviews tomorrow. Can't wait!

tflcar.com/2019/08/the-2020-lincoln-aviator-just-raised-the-bar-heres-one-amazing-feature-that-blew-us-away/

#39 ·
We should start seeing the driving reviews tomorrow.

And by tomorrow you mean 12AM tonight, so 9PM for us peeps on the west coast!

I've been looking forword to this for a long time. We'll be getting to see the meltdown when the Aviator is driven and compared directly to the XT6... and it won't even be close. The gnashing of teeth and denial should be strong over at GMI for the next few days. I forsee a 50 plus page thread coming!

#41 ·
Caddy phoned it in with the XT6, the Aviator should best it in pretty much every possible way. Caddy interiors haven't been up to the standard of Black Label, and now the underlying platform is inferior too. Based upon the reviews of the Explorer I don't think anyone short of a lifer Caddy buyer would choose it over the Aviator, especially when they're priced so close together.

#45 · (Edited)
The first review... https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/20/2020-lincoln-aviator-first-drive/

Is good, very good. After this review, we can say, without a doubt, that Lincoln can produce vehicles at the same level than Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Volvo and BMW. The Aviator is that vehicle.

"We're in Yountville, a town that's equal parts hoity and toity. The restaurants are adorned with the names of Top Chef Masters and the gas station offers wine tasting. A store that exclusively sells Panama hats will be opening soon. It's in places like these where the 2020 Lincoln Aviator needs to be taken seriously. When the local bakery is a Bouchon, chances are the local populace isn't going to be fooled out of their Audis, BMWs and Mercedes by sub-standard merchandise. The Aviator needs to be the real deal. It is."

Very interesting this comparison: "Yet, don't expect any Lincoln Aviator to be sporty. Instead, it is wildly competent in an honest, sophisticated way that's perhaps closest in behavior and character to Mercedes-Benz"

About prices: "Aviator's starting price of $52,840 for a rear-wheel-drive model very reasonable. The XC90's T5 and T6 models start on either side of that, every Q7 is more expensive, and only the Acura among the above-listed competitors is considerably cheaper. The XT6 starts at basically the same price. Our loaded Aviator Black Label came with a price tag of $81,790, but keep in mind that if you can live without the special color schemes, you can get virtually the same equipment for about $74,000 on the Reserve trim. That's a lot either way, but the Aviator seems like it should command that type of money. It's more expensive than an XT6 or an MDX, and in terms of aesthetics and performance, it should be. It also makes a compelling, cheaper alternative to the Navigator or even the BMW X7 and Mercedes GLS, which easily top $100,000 when similarly equipped."

#47 ·
#50 ·
https://www.motor1.com/reviews/365965/2020-lincoln-aviator-first-drive/

Another very positive review. Couple of gripes include certain infotainment locations on the wheel (really?) and too much similarity to a Ford Sync 3 system (REEEEEALLY???)

I get it though, you need to balance to appear objective.
The guy that made the review, Markus Turkus, is an idiot. He pretend Ford design a completly different infotaintment system for Lincoln? WTF! And he want to see the navigation maps on the cluster, too..... Why? Why some one could want to see the maps on 2 different screens? Whatever... this kind of things happen when you have nothing to complain about the car you are reviewing...

Here another very positive review...
https://www.motorauthority.com/news...aviator-black-label-mini-navigator-luxury-suv

One complain that appear in all reviews... that button for voice-command: "voice-command button baked into the steering wheel like the single raisin that’s found its way, unwelcome, in a perfect chocolate-chip cookie." Maybe is time for Lincoln designers, wich pay so much attention to the details (Do you remember that the chimes in this vehicle was recorded by the Detroit Opera Orchestra?)to find a different solution for this "incordio".

About the Aviator-XT6 comparison: "The Navigator fired a clear warning shot in the direction of Cadillac’s Escalade. Now with the 2020 Aviator, Lincoln’s taking down the Caddy XT6 before that luxury SUV can find any blue sky of its own." >:) The XT6 is dead.... almost before its birth.
About the Aviator interior design and quality: "The Aviator does it best is in its Black Label trims... The XT6 looks forlorn by comparison; the Benz GLE and Kia Telluride look concerned."

About the drive and power of the Aviator: "When the road opened up again, the Aviator relaxed back into a casual, affable ride. Who drives a $75,000 luxury SUV quickly down tight two-lane country roads, anyway, you ask? Cayenne and X5 drivers, if that’s important."

Again, the names that arise when publishers speak of the Aviator are less and less Acura, Cadillac, Buick and more frequently Audi, Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Porsche. That is the new level of Lincoln.

This is the "incordio" that everyone complains about. Is it really for so much? Is this detail so important? I don't think so ... but you have to complain about something, right?

And who care about that detail when you see this beautiful vehicle...?

#48 ·
I'm very encouraged by these early reviews (making me feel better about already ordering one :smile2:). I'm guessing we'll see more reviews on Thursday when the GT embargo ends. Maybe some of the press didn't want to break up the reviews into two separate reviews? Or maybe its still too early in the day and we'll see more later today.

#51 ·
Motor Trend do it. A good review, too. https://www.motortrend.com/cars/lincoln/aviator/2020/2020-lincoln-aviator-luxury-crossover-review/

"The interior is a really nice place to spend long road trips. This is where Lincoln differentiates itself from the Europeans and creates a new kind of luxury. The open-pore wood in the Black Label and the aluminum trim in the Reserve are elegant, and the whole interior is nicely laid out. The horizontal design makes the cabin seem more spacious, and the 30-way powered seats offer massage and additional thigh support for the driver and front passenger.There's a sense of peacefulness that relaxes the occupants. From the chimes recorded by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra that provide more subtle alerts than the common bells and whistles, to the quality of the leather, the Aviator's interior draws more customers into it."

#52 ·
I saw a video someone posted on youtube where they had the 2020 ExplorerST and Aviator next to each other. Very thorough comparison. I'd say the Aviator is well worth the extra money when overall exterior, interior, and attention to details are factored in.
On the other hand...Explorer really had a chance to be a decent looking vehicle, if they completely reworked the front and the gave it a new dash/console. If they had done so, it would easily have been worth having the extra $ left in the bank account.

Reactions: falcon lover
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.