The case for "Quite Flight/Luxury" - Ford Inside News Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By wingsnut
  • 1 Post By YoungLS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Ford Focus

As a fan of Lincoln it has been exciting as Lincoln continues to roll out competitive, if not class leading, SUVs/CUVs and tapping into a market they haven't had recent success in. This makes me wonder what will be the moment or product that makes the Lincoln brand respected in the luxury segment again?

The "Quiet Luxury" brand identity that Lincoln has sets it in position to be a counterpoint to other brands but this can also be a reason that others may not take to the product as quickly. I'm not saying that it's a bad lane for them to occupy but sporty cars in luxury have dominated in the last 30 years. I love the idea of Black Label and see it as a potential conduit for vehicle subscription as well as further bespoke products like the suicide door Conti.

Which gets me to my point, what is the future of Lincoln sedans? I know there are rumors about Continental dying and possibly a next gen mkz replacement but I believe that's a bad idea. Lincoln isn't going to be a huge seller by using their current brand ethos especially in a mid-size 40k -60k price range. So why not offer a Continental Lincoln that is an RR Ghost competitor? I know there will be a lot of apprehension to that idea but look at the price of the CD4 coach built and tell me how they can justify it when considering how it's made. I don't think Lincoln has to be completely autonomous from Ford to command a price range of 150k-200k and that car imo is proof of that since it's 115k. They could use the model that Ford has for the GT by requiring perspective buyers already own a BL Lincoln with a subscription.

I believe it's time for Ford to get serious and realistic about the volume they want to see from the brand because 300k worldwide nor 100k US is happening anytime soon. If this is going to be a brand of luxury over sport there needs to be a non SPORT utility vehicle that represents "Quite Luxury", a next gen Conti is the car to do it.

What's your case for the continued "rebirth" of Lincoln and this Quite Luxury era?

Last edited by YoungLS; 10-05-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 07:06 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: The case for "Quite Flight/Luxury"

Somewhat topical.

https://jalopnik.com/lincoln-is-brin...ent-1838770041

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
So what do you want Ford to do with the Conti?kill or build on it

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 12:39 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: The case for "Quite Flight/Luxury"

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLS View Post
Kill the Fusion based product, keep the name. IMHO. It was adequate as an interim product while Lincoln was rebuilding, but as Lincoln continues to move upscale, any newly developed product needs to reflect that. And when I say newly, I refer to something stepping in several years from now, when current platform timeline ends. Based on shifting product demand, investing billions in an all new ICE based large luxury sedan (RWD V8 architecture), makes little sense. Sadly. Instead, Lincoln investment dollars for future platforms, especially lower volume sedan-like numbers, should be BEV. No question. Especially as BEV margins remain difficult. A powerful BEV Conti, complete with or without suicide doors, would make a powerful statement for Lincoln in about 3 years. Far better than just another V8 ICE. Especially as climate alarmists have made it a religion to attack anything they see as their enemy.
pffan1990 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 01:28 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Continental Mark X should be an A7/8serGran Coupe/AMG GT style BEV 4 dr coupe and jump right past all three into the future.

Chances of it happening 0.0%.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLS View Post
Kill the Fusion based product, keep the name. IMHO. It was adequate as an interim product while Lincoln was rebuilding, but as Lincoln continues to move upscale, any newly developed product needs to reflect that. And when I say newly, I refer to something stepping in several years from now, when current platform timeline ends. Based on shifting product demand, investing billions in an all new ICE based large luxury sedan (RWD V8 architecture), makes little sense. Sadly. Instead, Lincoln investment dollars for future platforms, especially lower volume sedan-like numbers, should be BEV. No question. Especially as BEV margins remain difficult. A powerful BEV Conti, complete with or without suicide doors, would make a powerful statement for Lincoln in about 3 years. Far better than just another V8 ICE. Especially as climate alarmists have made it a religion to attack anything they see as their enemy.
I agree definitely needs to BEV I'm just saying that if there is a new Conti it needs to be specifically low volume high price model because they won't sell as many as the mainstream luxury competition. What if they did it like the GT and work or something with the current coach builder?
wingsnut likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseman View Post
Continental Mark X should be an A7/8serGran Coupe/AMG GT style BEV 4 dr coupe and jump right past all three into the future.

Chances of it happening 0.0%.
I like that but then I worry their Quiet Luxury ethos would suffer from a sporty four door coupe that doesn't handle as well as it's comp.

Last edited by YoungLS; 10-05-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page