Breaking: Mz6 hatch doomed? - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Breaking: Mz6 hatch doomed?

2013 Mazda6: Popular hatch faces axe - CarAdvice.com.AU
By Jez Spinks | November 30th, 2011

The Mazda6 hatch, the best-selling variant of the medium car in Australia, faces the axe for the next-generation model expected in 2013.

Mazda Australia says it is still in discussions with Japan about the full line-up of the new Mazda6, though the chief designer of the Takeri concept (pictured below) that previews the car revealed at the 2011 Tokyo motor show says that only sedan and wagon versions of the mid-sizer have been created.

“Actually we are dropping the idea of a hatch [for Mazda6],” said Akira Tamatani, when talking about the next-generation Mazda6 body styles. “With the [new] sedan we can achieve same sporty expression we achieved with [current] hatch.

“With the sedan we have a very sporty design so based on that the wagon model will express similar sportiness. Of course we must protect practicality of wagon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Re: Breaking: Mz6 hatch doomed?

If certain bodystyles sell better in specific regions, Mazda might be setting itself up to lose some market share with the next gen Mazda6.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Ford Kuga

The latest Mazda6 has not done very well anywhere, and is losing market share in most markets.

2012 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 SW Moondust Silver 5spd manual
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost AWD Panther Black 6spd Auto

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Ford Sport Ka

What is the reason why it didn't gain much market? Any technical issues or any design and styling problem behind that ?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

^ I never heard of any, GCD, tho I don't follow Mazda like I used to.

re: the US-only version...Imho it was because Mazda made this generation of the 6 outgrow its niche.
Mazda6 and the Accord became the largest of the midsizers (I don't include the Chrysler 300 in that category) and worse for the Mz6, it previously was one of the smallest = culture shock

It'll be interesting to see if the next Mz6 reverts to the smaller RotW car - I hope so * kinda expect that since it'll (eventually/soon?) be built outside the US.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
^ I never heard of any, GCD, tho I don't follow Mazda like I used to.

re: the US-only version...Imho it was because Mazda made this generation of the 6 outgrow its niche.
Mazda6 and the Accord became the largest of the midsizers (I don't include the Chrysler 300 in that category) and worse for the Mz6, it previously was one of the smallest = culture shock

It'll be interesting to see if the next Mz6 reverts to the smaller RotW car - I hope so * kinda expect that since it'll (eventually/soon?) be built outside the US.
I think the next Mazda6 will be a global car again, like the first gen Mazda6. I think creating a larger version for the US market was a mistake simply because it conflicted with the brand's sportier image. I think Mazda simply saw a chance for increased market share in the US instead of adhering to its established brand image and it backfired. I think people buy Mazda vehicles because they want a sportier driving experience that's different from the norm, not because they want a Camry/Accord clone in a sportier looking wrapper.

I think Mitsubishi has tried to follow a similar path in trying to be more mainstream and it has stripped the brand of any appeal and soul that it previously possessed. Now the brand is mostly just a bottom feeder afterthought. Fortunately, I think Mazda has realized that trying to be "mainstream" isn't where its strengths lie.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

forgot to say that imho if Mazda had offered the plus-sized US Mz6 AND the RotW smaller 5-door as a new MX6, they would've had much more success
(I used to rant for the 5-door as a Milan too)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
breaking, doomed, hatch, mz6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page