can't connect - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:29 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: can't connect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
Most likely not since they are extremely basic you might be able to find an app similar to paint shop pro or photoshop though.
Also @SP1966 you can get laptops now for around that even under with SSDs with Windows that will run circles around a Chromebook Anything I build or buy these days has SSDs the performance is totally worth it. My main desktop boots in 9 seconds flat.
You'll have a difficult time building/buying a decent Windows PC for Chromebook money. Windows still does, and will always require more horsepower just to run the OS than a Chromebook will to run a Browser based OS. Windows also requires more storage as it's not cloud based, good luck running that on a 32GB drive! And finally, probably the biggest selling point to ChromeOS is its absolute simplicity. It just works without the headaches that typically appear with Windows over time. For a person who's not particularly computer literate and who's computer time is all browser based there really isn't a better option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:01 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
You'll have a difficult time building/buying a decent Windows PC for Chromebook money. Windows still does, and will always require more horsepower just to run the OS than a Chromebook will to run a Browser based OS. Windows also requires more storage as it's not cloud based, good luck running that on a 32GB drive! And finally, probably the biggest selling point to ChromeOS is its absolute simplicity. It just works without the headaches that typically appear with Windows over time. For a person who's not particularly computer literate and who's computer time is all browser based there really isn't a better option.
Oh absolutely price wise but don't underestimate the power of an SSD drive. Putting one in a really old laptop does wonders.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:16 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Oh absolutely price wise but don't underestimate the power of an SSD drive. Putting one in a really old laptop does wonders.
No question, I put one in my 2012 Macbook Pro and it was like buying a brand new laptop! In fact I was ready to order a new one last year, but now I could see using this one for another year or two.

I just think the simplicity of a Chromebook, along with the price is perfect for 60% of home users. Unless they're a gamer most home computer users are really just home internet users, apps are almost entirely irrelevant. I do mobile app development so I need a full OS, but honestly beyond that I have no need for apps and I would be considered a power user. Looking at the apps I use the only two non-development apps I use regularly are a browser and email client, and the email client could just as easily be replaced by the browser.

I've been off the PC crack since 2008, do the latest versions of Windows still have the dreaded registry?

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:38 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
No question, I put one in my 2012 Macbook Pro and it was like buying a brand new laptop! In fact I was ready to order a new one last year, but now I could see using this one for another year or two.

I just think the simplicity of a Chromebook, along with the price is perfect for 60% of home users. Unless they're a gamer most home computer users are really just home internet users, apps are almost entirely irrelevant. I do mobile app development so I need a full OS, but honestly beyond that I have no need for apps and I would be considered a power user. Looking at the apps I use the only two non-development apps I use regularly are a browser and email client, and the email client could just as easily be replaced by the browser.

I've been off the PC crack since 2008, do the latest versions of Windows still have the dreaded registry?
I put one in my dell laptop from ~2008 2 years ago and it's renewed it's life for me for another few years. I don't use it much except for travel I am usually on my desktop. I like to relate some home users to my parents who are in their 60s and early 70s respectively. They mostly do just browsing however my father is a retired accountant and he follows his stocks very closely and has some pretty elaborate spreadsheets in excel to keep track of everything. He also loves his card games. My mother has tons of pictures from her camera on the computer as well. They probably could switch to a chromebook with everything being cloud based however they are set in their ways. Believe it or not my father still backs up all his spreadsheets to a floppy disk. When they bought their desktop I had to get them a USB floppy drive so he could keep doing it that way. No joke.

My uncle (father's brother in law also retired) on the other hand is a power user and has cad software and photoshop and video editing software on his Windows PC. They travel a ton and when ever they get back he makes a DVD of all the photos and videos. A Chromebook would not work for them. But as you said most users don't even do that much with their computers.

As far as I know the registry is still there I haven't messed with it on 10 yet despite upgrading my laptop to 10. My desktop is still 7. Everything in my company is 7 as well but I don't have to mess with the registry too often. The developers on the other hand probably have to deal with it all the time.
SP1966 likes this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 02:03 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
I put one in my dell laptop from ~2008 2 years ago and it's renewed it's life for me for another few years. I don't use it much except for travel I am usually on my desktop. I like to relate some home users to my parents who are in their 60s and early 70s respectively. They mostly do just browsing however my father is a retired accountant and he follows his stocks very closely and has some pretty elaborate spreadsheets in excel to keep track of everything. He also loves his card games. My mother has tons of pictures from her camera on the computer as well. They probably could switch to a chromebook with everything being cloud based however they are set in their ways. Believe it or not my father still backs up all his spreadsheets to a floppy disk. When they bought their desktop I had to get them a USB floppy drive so he could keep doing it that way. No joke.

My uncle (father's brother in law also retired) on the other hand is a power user and has cad software and photoshop and video editing software on his Windows PC. They travel a ton and when ever they get back he makes a DVD of all the photos and videos. A Chromebook would not work for them. But as you said most users don't even do that much with their computers.

As far as I know the registry is still there I haven't messed with it on 10 yet despite upgrading my laptop to 10. My desktop is still 7. Everything in my company is 7 as well but I don't have to mess with the registry too often. The developers on the other hand probably have to deal with it all the time.
Those are good examples of people who can't, or simply won't switch! It's funny though, Windows, especially older versions, are a pain to learn, but once somebody does it's **** to get them to change. My Dad had a desktop and laptop, he only used the laptop for trips and it was always a pain to sync the data between them before and after. He would also use me as his tech support, but like I said, I stopped using Windows back when XP was still current! I convinced him to change to a Mac so I'd be able to help him, and now the one laptop works for his trips, but he can also connect it to his LCD and keyboard and use it as a desktop with no sync headaches! He still does silly things like installing Machelper malware because his browser prompts him to!

Switching isn't that hard, but we're all resistant to change!
Andrew L likes this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Garage

anything i can assist with?

~Shane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

^ Thanks, Shane

afaik the problem is my puter & router aren't working together...like right now (back on my Win95-dailup)

the puter can see router, but won't connect

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

I confirmed the (main) problem is definitely the router
hope to do sumthin about this wEEKend

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page