Ford Inside News banner

Fiat 500e Investment...

9K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Santiago 
#1 ·
FCA announced an $800m investment in EV factory for the next Fiat 500e.

https://www.insideevs.com/news/3592...in-production-line-for-fiat-500-electric/amp/

As a current 500e owner, I gave to say version 2 should address all shortcomings of the current version: more interior space, longer range, updated electronics, and a vert should be available. I think it should actually sell better than the cheap ICE version, as they are building it as a more upscale version from the beginning.

#2 ·
You own a 500e?
My condolences. I am kidding. Partially.

So what is the real world range, if the advertised amount is like 82 miles? And did you really pay about $34K for it when it really is just a 2 seater....assuming you want to carry anything bigger than a brief case? Sorry, I just don't get that car. But as long as you enjoy it.

#3 · (Edited)
...no, bought end of 2016 for $7800. Had 18k miles on it. It’s paid for and costs me $20/mo in electricity to operate. It’s also a hoot to drive. I absolutely love it, despite its flaws.

As for carrying capacity, you’d be surprised. A buddy was asking me about it because he was considering one when he found out how cheap it was. Wanted to know if golf clubs would fit in it. With the rear seats down, clubs will fit sideways with room to spare. I use it to haul cases and cases of stuff all the time. If it were 6” longer, a bike with the front wheel off would fit fine. As it is I have to push the passenger seat all the way forward.

The new version will fix all my issues with the current one and be available as a Cabrio so I can justify it as a weekend toy car too.

#5 · (Edited)
...no one was buying them with cash. They were all $99/mo lease compliance cars. I think they go for $4500 at auction, last I saw. They’re a helluva bargain if you have a regular commute. My range is about 104 in summer and 60 in dead ass super cold winter day, so 82 is a fair middle range for 80% of the time.

#11 ·
#12 ·
...I live in a hilly area and drive it like I stole it. So, my range is probably on the low end of “normal.” AC really isn’t an issue unless your commute is at the limit of your range. I rarely drive more than 50-60 mi per day, so I never worry about range. Plus, we have three other cars, so it’s not like I’m stuck with it if I have to drive somewhere a few hours away.

#15 ·
AC units in ICE engines are designed around the requirement of a pull down duration in a hot climate. With eAC, it is no different (I think) but the clutch actuation will be automatic, based on user defined setting. So the use of AC on a 80 deg day while driving down the highway, is minimal, with a lot of cycling off. It is significantly different on a 95 deg humid day, especially in traffic, it will run nonstop. 10% assumes the former and 20-30% would align closer to constant operation. Simple physics.

But alas, some on this thread claimed it does not kill range.
W/E

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.