Future Product Guide: ASIA - AutomotiveNews - Page 11 - Ford Inside News Community
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: Future Product Guide: ASIA - AutomotiveNews

swiped from GMi

Acura Admits Benchmarking Lexus And Infiniti Was A Mistake
Carbuzz
- Jay Traugott - 5/29/2018

Acura was launched over three decades ago, becoming the first Japanese luxury brand. Honda has always been more forward-thinking than its domestic rivals. However, competition came fast from Toyota (Lexus) and Nissan (Infiniti) and within just a few years Acura found itself preoccupied by benchmarking those brands, notably the former. Instead of leading the pack, it became a bland follower. According to Acura General Manager Jon Ikeda, via Automotive News, that’s all in the past.

Ikeda admits that Acura strayed down a “wandering road” and lost touch with its roots. Cars like the Legend and Integra were replaced with rather dull successors. We can back this up with our own experience driving the RLX flagship sedan. In more recent years, Acura has come to rely on SUVs like the MDX and RDX, but it wasn’t until 2016 when the second generation NSX arrived that things began to feel exciting again.

It’s best to be both luxury and performance-oriented. You know, how Acura originally was. "When you start benchmarking and looking at everything else, instead of looking introspectively, is where you lose your way," Ikeda said during a panel discussion. "We're a lot more truthful (now) to who we are and what we're trying to be. I think it's a growing pain we went through." Agreed, and now it’s time to make up for those growing pain years with something interesting, relatively affordable, and not an SUV. Perhaps a production version of 2016’s Precision Concept?
hbmf3 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 05-30-2018 at 03:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

otoh ^ RDX's new NoSlipNeeded>70%REARWD + SHAWD sounds Very interesting

a nother BEST review in existence from Alex ... ...imho

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #103 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 11:20 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Re: otoh ^ RDX's new NoSlipNeeded>70%REARWD + SHAWD sounds Very interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
a nother BEST review in existence from Alex ... ...imho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4WdQSqU6r0
To me, Acura's look too much like Honda's! I dont see them changing their image much even with this "reboot"...they just will continue to be a step up for Honda owners.

Infinity spent $$$ and years pushing a performance imagine and yet they too didnt get far, and recently announced they will be abandoning RWD for cars. It shows you how hard it is to crack the German sport sedan image! Yet Genesis thinks they can by going the same route as Infinity and Cadillac...I think we know where that will end!

Lincoln's "quiet Luxury" mantra looks like a smarter approach and may just be enough for them to carve out space in the hyper competitive luxury arena!
2b2 and hbmf3 like this.

post #104 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 11:22 AM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
Re: otoh ^ RDX's new NoSlipNeeded>70%REARWD + SHAWD sounds Very interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudz64 View Post
To me, Acura's look too much like Honda's! I dont see them changing their image much even with this "reboot"...they just will continue to be a step up for Honda owners.

Infinity spent $$$ and years pushing a performance imagine and yet they too didnt get far, and recently announced they will be abandoning RWD for cars. It shows you how hard it is to crack the German sport sedan image! Yet Genesis thinks they can by going the same route as Infinity and Cadillac...I think we know where that will end!

Lincoln's "quiet Luxury" mantra looks like a smarter approach and may just be enough for them to carve out space in the hyper competitive luxury arena!

Acura's and Honda's interiors have been so similar for so long. They really need to break out interior wise too not just exterior.
2b2 likes this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
asia, automotivenews, future, guide, product

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page