post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 05:17 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

re: Hyundai Announces "Genesis" Luxury Brand

In Alfa Romeo vs. Hyundai, newcomer may have the edge
Detroit Free Press

Mark Phelan
November 7, 2015

Quick, which luxury brand will reach 400,000 annual sales first: Hyundai’s new Genesis brand or Fiat Chrysler’s reboot of Alfa Romeo? If global projections aren’t your bag, which brand will sell 50,000 in the United States first?

My money’s on the brand that hasn’t sold a car yet, the one that has no history of dealing with luxury customers...

...Hyundai’s plan to build a luxury brand on the back of the Genesis sport sedan is ambitious, but at least the Genesis exists. That's more than you can say for the pack of upcoming vehicles Alfa is counting on. The original Genesis sedan was 2009 North American Car of the Year. The second generation Genesis which went on sale a year ago was a breakthrough: competitive with cars like the Audi A6 and Lexus GS...

...Hyundai dealers must learn how to satisfy luxury buyers, but at least Hyundai has dealers in every major market in the United States and Europe.

The first cars from the Genesis luxury brand may not be great, but you can rest assured they’ll get built and it’ll be easy to find a dealer for sales or service.

Contrast that with the questions facing Alfa Romeo:

• Alfa has already backed away from its promise to deliver eight new vehicles by 2018. That may have slipped to 2020, according to European reports, and FCA’s history of delaying new vehicles suggests you shouldn’t bet the farm on that timetable.
• Alfa has virtually no sales network in the United States, and not much of one in Europe.
• Alfa has no experience building modern rear-wheel-drive sport sedans and all-wheel-drive SUVs, the vehicles of which its plan hinges.

Hyundai has evidence on its side. Alfa Romeo has hope...
...while I hope Alfa Romeo succeeds, I expect Genesis to be the start of something big.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 10:44 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
I find the newest Genesis to be a real stunner, but going this route moves the Genesis coupe either A: upmarket and no longer competing with Mustang, Camaro, 370Z, etc. or B: renamed, left as a Hyundai. Perhaps we will see a more upscale coupe based off of the styling and build quality of the current Genesis sedan which, although derivative, is quite nice.
I have a relative that bought the new Genesis. Lots of cheap looking plastic inside, rather bland/cold exterior and interior. It drives more like and is appointed like a big Sonata. Nothing about it says 'luxury', it's just a bigger Sonata. She would have been much better off with the Lincoln MKZ, with the giant sunroof for less money.

The previous gen Genesis was a better built/designed car. But sales tell the story with sales down most every month were October barely broke 2k units for the sedan and coupe combined.

$60k+ Equus sales are down to barely 200 units monthly.

Which means the new Genesis luxury line currently sells just over 2200 units monthly. Less than the MKZ alone.

New Continental will pull many of the Equus sales immediately upon launch.

It is doubtful that Hyundai will spend more on it's Genesis vehicles than it does now, so would not expect any better ride or build quality that we see today. But just more models of the same. While at the same time, Lincoln should have a refreshed MY2017 MKZ, MY2017 New Continental and MY2018 New Navigator, and a Mustang based luxury coupe/convertible, to go with the New MKX. With each model expected to outsell the entire Genesis line.

From my perspective, Hyundai thinks just because they offer a different brand, people will see 'bigger' Hyundai models as being different. But unfortunately, they designed them as just bigger Hyundai models, so consumers can't help but make the logical comparison.

Hyundai Sonata

Genesis

Last edited by Bloggin; 11-08-2015 at 11:18 PM.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 12:17 AM
Ford Focus

Ummm. Sorry but I have to say, the Genesis has the nicest interior you'll find in a sub-50k car. It also rides and drives like a $50k car.

Equus needs some work.

And I'm saying this as a Lincoln fan.
DetroitBORG and Rick Astley like this.

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover
The new Genesis G90

The new genesis G90: a Korean BMW 7 series

The G90 ushers in the Athletic Elegance design language that will influence every upcoming member of the Genesis family. Heavily inspired by the Vision G concept that was introduced earlier this year, the sedan boasts an upscale-looking front fascia characterized by boomerang-shaped LED headlights, a sculpted hood, and a hexagonal grille with a chrome frame and horizontal slats. A large Genesis emblem proudly sits right above the grille.

Beyond the front end, the G90 features a long, flowing silhouette that's accented by pronounced wheel arches and a sprinkling of chrome trim. It's important to note that the images show the South Korean-spec model, but the version we'll get on our shores is expected to be all but identical.

In select markets, Genesis will offer the G90 with a suite of electronic driving aids including a semi-autonomous function called Highway Driving Assistance, Advanced Smart Cruise Control, and a Lane Keeping system. Additionally, the sedan packs a Smart Posture Caring system that takes into account the driver's height and automatically adjusts the seat, the position of the steering wheel, the door mirrors, and the heads-up display.

Did you see it? Here the link: http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundais...hip-90430.html

Attached Images
File Type: jpg genesis-.jpg (112.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg genesis-g90-preview-12_653.jpg (87.5 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by 2b2; 12-09-2015 at 02:01 PM. Reason: just added exterior photo to post
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Ford Flex

Re: The new Genesis G90

It has a kind of "been there...done that" design overall, with an unusual front end.
Bloggin likes this.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon

Continental was just upstaged by a Hyundai.
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Ford Kuga

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitBORG View Post
Continental was just upstaged by a Hyundai.
1: Are you blind? The Hyundai is as derivative as it gets. BORING.

2: The Continental hasn't even debuted.

3: This looks like a Chrysler 300 had a Korean baby with the CT6.

4: The Continental hasn't even debuted.

5: Dat interior is fiiine.

EDIT: Alright I'm being way too harsh on the car, and in doing so I am being completely hypocritical given my criticism of those who knock the Conti before it even launches. Although I find the exterior to be completely boring and uninspiring, it is clearly a very nice product. That said, I stand by my opinion of the "prestige gap" circlejerk around here being extremely aggravating. If we stuck two inches between the current MKS' dash and axle, it's still a "meh" product. If this EXACT interior was placed in a G90 with no "Prestige Gap," armchair enthusiasts would be talking all about how noncompetitive it will be regardless of its level of awesomeness besides that one section of the body. This doesn't necessarily apply to you, Borg, but I really wish the 1% of car buyers who run their mouth off on the internet would wake up and see that people buy cars for more reasons than "RWD Proportions." Look at how well the stubby XTS sells. To say this car upstages the Continental in any way is such an absurd statement, considering we haven't even seen the production Continental yet! We know basically none of its specs. I hate when people put the cart before the horse, will you just let the vehicles launch for God's sake???
wingsnut and Bloggin like this.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead

Last edited by gjrip; 12-09-2015 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Needed to change some things.
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 12:27 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
1: Are you blind? The Hyundai is as derivative as it gets. BORING.
Derivative? And the Continental is not?

Quote:
2: The Continental hasn't even debuted.
We know enough.

Quote:
3: This looks like a Chrysler 300 had a Korean baby with the CT6.
I have absolutely no idea where you see 300 there.

Quote:
4: The Continental hasn't even debuted.
Wasn't this number 2?

Quote:
5: Are you blind?
Irony!

Quote:
6: Dat interior is fiiine though.
I don't see it. Nice materials it appears, uninspired design.
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 12:30 PM
Ford Focus

They're gonna struggle to build this brand just like any automaker in the luxury segment. This will be just like the Genesis and Equss, terrible resale values cause the market doesnt take them as a luxury. This design language is so derivative at least the continental didnt take every trend and shape just to have presence.
wingsnut likes this.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 12:45 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
That said, I stand by my opinion of the "prestige gap" circlejerk around here being extremely aggravating. If we stuck two inches between the current MKS' dash and axle, it's still a "meh" product. If this EXACT interior was placed in a G90 with no "Prestige Gap," armchair enthusiasts would be talking all about how noncompetitive it will be regardless of its level of awesomeness besides that one section of the body. This doesn't necessarily apply to you, Borg, but I really wish the 1% of car buyers who run their mouth off on the internet would wake up and see that people buy cars for more reasons than "RWD Proportions." Look at how well the stubby XTS sells.
I think you're hearing only part of the A2D argument, or specifically all you're hearing is A2D. Nobody has ever said add a few inches to the A2D and all Lincoln's problems are solved, nobody. In fact the Continental concept was universally loved here at FIN even though it had a relatively short A2D it still managed to be proportionally balanced. The MKZ has a short A2d and as a complete design it too is very proportionally balanced.

It is the small details that set apart great designs from average designs and it's the lack of those details that takes a great design, MKC Concept, to a nice but no longer breathtaking design in production form.

I've personally stated many, many, many times that I believe the Continental is going to be a very nice car. I also realize that Lincoln is stuck between a rock and a hard place in terms of what they have to work with. I'm sure the Continental will be the best product they could build given the many restraints, both platform and financial, but my desire/opinion isn't restrained by such things.

Quote:
I hate when people put the cart before the horse, will you just let the vehicles launch for God's sake???
Once again I'll point out that if you want to restrict all conversation/debate to production vehicles they may as well shut down the forum. Most of are here to express our MMQB opinions, not simply to pledge allegiance to the FMC/LMC Gods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page