Nextgen Lexus SC CANCELLED, Avalon TOO? - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Nextgen Lexus SC CANCELLED, Avalon TOO?

AutoBlog - Lexus cancels next-gen SC, Toyota cancels next Avalon

Posted Jul 12th 2008 9:41AM by Jeremy Korzeniewski

Sales of the bulbous Lexus SC 430, one of the vehicles that kick-started the current hardtop convertible fad in the U.S., have slowed so significantly that Toyota's luxury brand has reportedly canceled its replacement. The four-place, V8-powered, rear-wheel-drive vehicle never fit well into any specific niche, as it boasted neither the sportiness of the ragtop Jaguar XK and Porsche 911, nor the snob appeal of the BMW 6 Series. Through the first six months of this year, Lexus sold only 1,230 SC's, down 40% from last year...

&
for part2 here's Autoblog's source:
Edmunds InsideLine ...may shelve the planned replacement for the Toyota Avalon sedan

...With development of the next-generation 2012 Camry well underway, Toyota also is studying whether to cancel the planned replacement for the Camry-based Avalon, which currently is slated to go into production... ...in early 2010.

In its place, Toyota may opt to produce a long-wheelbase Camry for such markets as North America and the Middle East...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Focus RS

Re: Nextgen Lexus SC CANCELLED, Avalon TOO?

Good riddance. The Avalon had the weirdest interior.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

DUDE!, Seth
that was quik

did you even see my (obligatory) edit ? hehe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Ford Kuga

^^^ True, toyota seems to have entered an alliance with Tupperware for plastics supply.
But The SC has stunning interior materials. The V8 though sucks. Its output is below some 4 bangers with lower dispaclement. In escence, its become an embarrassement.

Also the buicks of yester years like ride was not helpful either

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Ford Explorer

The Lexus never impressed and the Avalon won't be missed.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Ford Mondeo

One of my sisters has an SC. White. She likes it. But all her Children are out of the house. They are empty nesters.
For me it looks like a vehicle for people who are retired. there is nothing cool and current about it. It seems to appeal to people over 60, and my sister is only 52.

|
|
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Ford Focus ZX

If the SC replacement is being canceled, that means that domestic sales of the car are not doing well, either. Remembering that this was, until recently, the Toyota Soarer in the Japanese market, this means the end of a model with a lengthy history, having started in the early '80s. Toyota stayed with this model longer than its competition, which included the Nissan Leopard and the Mazda Cosmo. We once saw the Leopard in the US market, as it was the Infiniti M30, if you recall. If you don't, that's fine, as the version marketed here was nice, but forgettable. I drove one shortly after Infiniti started selling in the US, and liked it, but...

The last Mazda Cosmo was built sometime in the '90s, and it was a real looker.

As for the Avalon, it was a product meant for US buyers anyway. Bizarre is far too strong a word for any aspect of that car, but I'd about rather have had the top line Lucerne anyway...

Donne e motori, gioie e dolori (translation: if it's got wheels or t*ts, it will give you problems)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 01:20 PM

It's too bad the (in my opinion) the nicest Toyota, the Avalon is getting the axe, but I really couldn't care less.

But it'll be nice to see Lexus' little pig be put to rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
avalon, cancelled, lexus, nextgen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page