Automotive News Editorial: "Toyota Is Losing Its Halo - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Content Admin

Automotive News Editorial: "Toyota Is Losing Its Halo

Automotive News Europe - Guido Reinking - October 20, 2008 14:59 CET

When senior Volkswagen executives said the Wolfsburg-based automaker intended to overtake Toyota in global sales, profit and quality, more than a few industry watchers thought they had lost touch with reality. I was one of the skeptics.

Overtake Toyota the industry's gold standard for productivity, quality assurance, efficiency and customer orientation to say nothing of global profit- and sales leader? Impossible!

But look again: The top dog is losing its aura of invincibility.

In Germany, sales are off 22 percent this year. In the U.S., Toyota has been hit even harder. Its sales there collapsed 32.3 percent in September, worse even than the fall taken by sickly General Motors.

Contrary to popular perception, Toyota's dazzling growth over the past 10 years has been led by light trucks, not the gas-sipping small cars and hybrids that are so associated with its brand. Sales of its large vehicles SUVs, crossovers, pickups and luxury Lexus sedans have more than doubled in the past decade.

That is why the current automotive crisis is hitting Toyota harder than many other manufacturers. Its profit is projected to decline by as much as 40 percent this fiscal year, which would yield a margin of barely 6 percent. That would put it on VW's level.

There is little doubt that Toyota will remain the global sales leader for some years to come. But there is danger in that success. Becoming No. 1 demands different qualities than staying No. 1. Can the company do both?

In that sense, it may be fortunate for Toyota that Volkswagen has vowed to overtake it. That's because Toyota, without meaningful competition, may have stopped striving for perfection.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...&rssfeed=RSS31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 04:39 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: Automotive News Editorial: "Toyota Is Losing Its Halo

imho
"Toyota Is Losing the APPEARANCE of having a Halo"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Ford Explorer

Happy days are here.
I shed no tear.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Happy days are here.
I shed no tear.
I feel the same way.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Ford Mondeo

Do you not all see? toyota's growth was driven not by "gas efficient cars" but trucks.
Look, how many SUV's they have in their line up
  1. 4 Runner
  2. Rav 4
  3. Sequoia
  4. Highlander
  5. Land Cruiser
  6. FJ Cruiser
And the one that looks like a Pacifica they added recently

In Lexus division
  1. GX470
  2. RX430
  3. LX470

In the Truck division

Tundra
two types of Hilux ( Tacoma basic and tacoma big)

So, now their business is taking a hit, I for one being interested in automotive stocks , looked to see why, green toyota was doing soo badly. I thought they should be singing to the bank now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 12:32 PM
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe View Post
Do you not all see? toyota's growth was driven not by "gas efficient cars" but trucks.
Look, how many SUV's they have in their line up
  1. 4 Runner
  2. Rav 4
  3. Sequoia
  4. Highlander
  5. Land Cruiser
  6. FJ Cruiser
And the one that looks like a Pacifica they added recently

In Lexus division
  1. GX470
  2. RX430
  3. LX470
In the Truck division

Tundra
two types of Hilux ( Tacoma basic and tacoma big)

So, now their business is taking a hit, I for one being interested in automotive stocks , looked to see why, green toyota was doing soo badly. I thought they should be singing to the bank now?
Exellent post. I suspect this is why Toyota is suffering more than say Toyota. Unfortunately, it seems the sedan business side of Toyota has suffered too.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Ford Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbukukanyau View Post
Exellent post. I suspect this is why Toyota is suffering more than say Toyota. Unfortunately, it seems the sedan business side of Toyota has suffered too.
Did you mean, Honda? as in Toyota suffering than Honda?

|
|
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via AIM to YellowZx5 Send a message via Yahoo to YellowZx5

I hope the two domestics are getting their arses in gear. Obviously GM is not bringing much here for small vehicles, they keep rebadging those **** large three row SUV's. Traverse, Outlook, and the Buick, my goodness GM get out and see what people want, not what your Oil business friends like.

If GM keeps the pace they are at now, I think the Volt could be their last new car??

Current Car; 2018 Focus EV 115m Range
2015 Focus EV 75m Range, 2013 Cmax Energi, 2010 Fiesta, 2007 Milan, 2005 Ranger, 2002 Focus Zx5.

Vermont Drive Electric Ambassador
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
halo, losing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page