*L*incoln Design Controversy - apologies to SP1966 (not) - Page 4 - Ford Inside News Community
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 10:31 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Re: *L*incoln Design Controversy - apologies to SP1966 (not)

Of course traditional Lexus owners aren't happy ... the cars are putrid. Absolutely hideous. There's nothing wrong with being different, but different doesn't have to offend. Jags, Volvos, Teslas (not the Model X) and Alfas are beautifully designed cars. They're far from generic, and yet there's nothing offensive about them at all. True luxury cars shouldn't scream 'look at me', because they shouldn't have to. Give me subtle elegance over this abomination any day.

2b2 likes this.

Rod

2017 MKX 2.7T Black Label
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

missed this^ @HotRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
...but both ends of the car are straight out of 90's minimalism to my eyes, they seem to be a step out of time and need much more identifiable character...
I'd really like some example pix of this 90's minimalism**

Quote:
...Lincoln's...not a vital business and it's still a very small global player for a company that usually doesn't have patience for perpetually underperforming vanity assets. But as product dry as Ford is right now, Lincoln is their own shinning star.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
...they're in their "boring Lexus" stage right now before they push toward a more unique look in a few years when the time is right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
Isn't the right time to "push toward a more unique look" the time when you're trying to establish a unique identity in the eye of the buying public? Like, maybe, yesterday?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
They did. with the split wing. People complained.
Quote:
... And the response was to shrink back to mediocrity.
[ broken record ] the problem was ( IMHO ) that suits GRABBED at the Only Idea they could understand = "OH! TURN the Slat SIDEWAYS!"
BUT then they wouldn't let the designer develop it.

NOW, I see flashes of talent** in the ContiConcept's grille insert (that I christened StarShadow) but they took until now to put the exact pattern on a production vehicle and
Once Again
it seems the suits are IMPRINTED/MARRIED to the first rendition of the grille's outline-shape with it quirky plinth that might be OK once or ¿twice?, but it's not a strong enough blandishment('gesture' in modernDesigner speak) to stick it (like a robot) on EVERYthing

Quote:
^The problem was that the split wing was grafted onto what was then a barely re-bodied Fusion. It's hard when the "luxury" car looks worse than the mainstream car. Perhaps if it was a part of a true design language for the whole car, a split wing, in the hands of visionary designers, might have been viable, acceptably good looking, and maybe even well received by the public.
Face it; for decades, Ford has long been showing only cursory interest in design for Lincoln. Only recently have they awakened but, except for interior design, they are still in their bedclothes.
I'm reminded (re: FLincMoCo sorta feeling it's way, or being dragged kicking and screaming to Modern(True-)LUX) of the old saying that you don't want to see HOW THE SAUSAGE IS MADE...
..ie the Zephyr (ie 1st MKZ) *WAS* the sausage "ingredients" >> proved by the Name flip-flop AND not having a proper engine at debut
SLOPPY, VERY SLOPPY ((my new refrain: I'm gonna :POUT: until the NYC show - Then re-assess ... wishing on a STAR called AVIATOR))

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 02-08-2018 at 08:03 PM.
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 05:20 PM
Focus RS WRC

Broken records get changed.

post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 07:52 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
Of course traditional Lexus owners aren't happy ... the cars are putrid. Absolutely hideous. There's nothing wrong with being different, but different doesn't have to offend. Jags, Volvos, Teslas (not the Model X) and Alfas are beautifully designed cars. They're far from generic, and yet there's nothing offensive about them at all. True luxury cars shouldn't scream 'look at me', because they shouldn't have to. Give me subtle elegance over this abomination any day.

Just when I think I am getting accustomed to the latest Lexus design language, I see it in an angle that changes my mind. As far as Lincoln, I want them to step it up a bit, but I agree, if you try too hard, it really stands out and often not in a good way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 12:58 AM
Focus RS WRC

I really don't know the design process at Ford/Lincoln but it appears, by recent output, to be design-by-committee.

What about the great American way to whole-car design; competition. Turn each designer loose with a few guidelines, then winnow their designs down to one winner by consensus, then all hands on deck to the finish line. Grafting individual design features together, like the "new" face onto the MKZ & Nautilus, won't produce coherent designs.
2b2 likes this.
post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 12:20 PM
Ford Kuga

Although Lincoln design is extremely bland, especially form a distance, I will hand it to Woodhouse who is doing a good job focusing on the quality of Lincoln design and not necessarily the art of design. Everything is carefully done with a focus on creating flattering proportions. It's just a brand that hates to excite but has a fairly decent flare for fashion with their interior designers. I don't fundamentally hate their exterior design but it needs to be less nondescript.
2b2 likes this.

Last edited by Assimilator; 02-10-2018 at 12:22 PM.
post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

very^interesting point of view
not sure I CAN agree about Woodhouse's performance** tho:
Quote:
I really don't know the design process at Ford/Lincoln but it appears, by recent output, to be design-by-committee.

What about the great American way to whole-car design; competition. Turn each designer loose with a few guidelines, then winnow their designs down to one (VS) winner by consensus, then all hands on deck to the finish line. Grafting individual design features together, like the "new" face onto the MKZ & Nautilus, won't produce coherent designs.
just-imho, official 'PROTOCOL' is less critical than the final APPROVERS < who I've been scapegoating for ages

** kinda had this feeling going into his tenure
S'WHY
I soooo hoped Max (who imho is UNquestionably a GENIUS) would find or HAVE found for him, a way to stay and work WITH Woodhouse.
Actually,
I might believe that the main missing 'ingredient' is the (tag)TEAM (or atelier) approach.
@glyphics is that (sorta) what you meant by consensus

post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 01:48 AM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
I might believe that the main missing 'ingredient' is the (tag)TEAM (or atelier) approach.
@glyphics is that (sorta) what you meant by consensus
^Sorta. Example: Joji Nagashima's design proposals for the BMW e39 (pre-Bangle) 5 series and the e90 (Bangle-era) 3 series won out over other proposals by other BMW designers.

The real question is; how many visionary design concepts are floating around the Lincoln design studio regardless of what's known of Ford's future vehicle strategy? It is possible to unleash creativity without going Lexus-wild.
post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: *L*incoln Design Controversy & ½apology to SP1966

was reminded of:
Quote:
Although Lincoln design is extremely bland, especially form a distance, I will hand it to Woodhouse who is doing a good job focusing on the quality of Lincoln design and not necessarily the art of design. Everything is carefully done with a focus on creating flattering proportions... ...I don't fundamentally hate their exterior design but it needs to be less nondescript.
Quote:
very^interesting point of view
not sure I CAN agree about Woodhouse's performance...
...kinda had this feeling going into his tenure...
by
AutoVerdict
Quote:
...S'WHY
I soooo hoped Max (who imho is UNquestionably a GENIUS**) would find or HAVE found for him, a way to stay and work WITH Woodhouse...
Quote:
...how many visionary design concepts** are floating around the Lincoln design studio regardless of what's known of Ford's future vehicle strategy? It is possible to unleash creativity without going Lexus-wild.
1 - my fly-on-wall/bucket list/OneWish since late 2010 has been to freely rummage thru an un-redacted Lincoln Design Center...
...tho, frankly, I fear one-way-or-a-nother, it would bumm me out -- more the unfulfilled**splendor than anything else mainly from Max's tenure...& McGovern's
2 -imho
Lexus & most(/ALL?) Japanese styling blandishments = mental impairment; drug abuse; or worse

@ Japan

post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 02:44 PM
Ford Kuga

Lincoln is in copy/paste mode right now so even when we see new products, they look like the old ones which is boring but not abnormal for the business. I'm sure they are trying to solidify a visual identity and they have to stay very close to a common fascia for at least 5 years.

Last edited by Assimilator; 02-13-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page