*L*incoln Design Controversy - apologies to SP1966 (not) - Page 6 - Ford Inside News Community
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 10:56 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Re: *L*incoln Design Controversy - apologies to SP1966 (not)

When you climb behind the wheel of a luxury car, you want it to put on a show.

If the reviewer had said I want to it to put on a show instead of you want it to put on a show, I would have no problem with this statement. Nothing ticks me off more that someone telling me what I want. Anyone who feels the need to "put on a show" is likely lacking in self confidence.

Having said that, I do think the Continental is too bland. However, making it grotesque like a CT6 would do it no favors. My idea of luxury car presence is the Aston Martin Rapide or Jag XJ.
2b2 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

just-for-me, & just-a quick-not-awake-yet example:
Jag on the outside // Panamera on the inside

& unfortunately I've never had the chance to sit in an AstonMartin
plus the newest AM's are getting their outsides screwed-up

so this could be a smaller change of plans than it sounds
?
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMatt View Post
It seems to me that the whole shift to the conti grille is throwing away years of establishing a recognition factor. When the waterfall grille mutated to the winged grille there was still some carryover recognition. Driving through and around my community the Lincolns are are recognizable as being almost as populous as the Cadillacs.

As to the conti and the regrilled MKZ, well, either they simply aren't being driven around or they just aren't obvious. And I expect in a few years all the MKCs and MKXs I see daily will be replaced by more anonymous vehicles.

No, I didn't love the winged grille, but at least it wasn't ugly, and it was distinctive. The conti style grille is distinctive, but only from a couple feet away.
there's a set of chops in Mission:Lincoln for a gradual change from vertical to horizontal slats
also
I 'always' wanted some options...One of which would've been a mesh >> imho the StarShadow pattern is brilliant!
just the overall grille opening shape needs some experimentation

so this could be a smaller change of plans than it sounds
?

Last edited by 2b2; 02-15-2018 at 08:10 PM.

post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 11:02 PM
FIN Staff Member

Lincoln FINALLY has the 2018 Navigator on the home page, but still under the old image with the old navigator.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 8.57.40 PM.png (1.22 MB, 10 views)
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 07:33 PM
Ford Ka

After reading this whole thread thus far here are my thoughts, my opinion of course. Disclaimers first, my daily driver is a 2015 Lincoln MKC. Prior to that drove a 2011 Audi A4 S-Line.

- I personally think that Lincoln is on the right track with new grille/design language.

- Quiet luxury is a fantastic theme to embrace because "millennials" just aren't into cars as much as the prior generations were and this translates into the fact that speed and horsepower is not the driving sales factor with them.The NASCAR boy racer era is over and the Germans already know it. Notice how BMW is softening up its design language (new 8 series coupe and grand coupe concepts). It a return to elegance. Cadillac and Lexus are behind the 8 ball in this respect. When i sat in the new Navigator at my local car show all I could say was "Wow, this is real luxury" It was an experience, just like what the millennials want, "experiences". I wasn't concerned if it can break a new record at Nürburgring.

-Lincoln's biggest obstacle is not their product ( I am way happier with my MKC than my previous Audi). Their problem is that Americans are extremely biased against american cars. Case in point, Lincoln's design language is so appealing it is even being copied by some German manufacturers (anyone notice how the latest Audi Q5 has grown hips and shoulders a la MKC/MKX) I certainly did!) What's that saying "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

-Lincoln has not been lucky with the new Continental (sales figures should be higher) because of the current consumer obsession with Crossovers/SUVs. Hopefully this trend will start to wane soon as the return to elegance starts to pick up speed. Sedans may rule the roost again.

-Black Label is a good marketing move.

Those are my thoughts.
2b2, djhogie, hbmf3 and 2 others like this.
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 01:10 AM
FIN Staff Member

^....refreshed MKC does look nice, except Lincoln should have upgraded the rear exhaust to an integrated unit like on MKX. And I also think SUVs are already on the decline as many who bought them are tired of driving a oversized vehicle with poor driving dynamics, where the EV will be the growth mechanism for sedans. Tesla is making that clear with consistent sales increases month after month, along with Model 3 sales/orders. The Jaguar I-Pace that is called a CUV is actually a sedan/hatch back. The lower to the ground the battery pack is, the more stable, the better the handling and safer it is.
2b2 and glyphics like this.
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 12:33 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
^....refreshed MKC does look nice, except Lincoln should have upgraded the rear exhaust to an integrated unit like on MKX. And I also think SUVs are already on the decline as many who bought them are tired of driving a oversized vehicle with poor driving dynamics, where the EV will be the growth mechanism for sedans. Tesla is making that clear with consistent sales increases month after month, along with Model 3 sales/orders. The Jaguar I-Pace that is called a CUV is actually a sedan/hatch back. The lower to the ground the battery pack is, the more stable, the better the handling and safer it is.
Really? Based on what info?

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 12:39 PM
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
I'm sorry but this is complete fiction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page