AuotNews:Callum: How Jag Made XF Back Seat Friendly - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

AuotNews:Callum: How Jag Made XF Back Seat Friendly

Callum: How Jag made its XF back-seat-friendly

Mark Rechtin

Automotive News | April 7, 2008 - 12:01 am EST

SAN DIEGO Jaguar chief designer Ian Callum describes the new XF sedan as "something you can enjoy without me having to explain it." Then he proceeds to explain, in some detail, why the XF will transform the way people think about Jaguar.

"We wanted a coupe, not a generic five-seater," Callum while following the car's descending roofline with his hand. "We did 60 computer iterations to get the C-pillar to the wheel arch and shoulder just right."

Coupe-styled sedans, such as the Mercedes-Benz CLS series, have wowed consumers with their appearance. But the lack of headroom put back-seat passengers at a disadvantage.

To avoid that problem, Callum's team pulled the roofline farther back. The rake of the windshield and rear window is identical to that of the Jaguar XK coupe. In addition, by having a high beltline and narrow greenhouse, the XF has the illusion of less interior space than there actually is.

At the XF's media introduction here, Callum said he wanted the interior to have a sense of humor like the ignition button that pulses red like a heartbeat and vents that rotate open when the car is started.

Callum designed the instrument panel's face from aluminum rather than an expanse of wood, to give it a more modern feel. Yet Callum says the XF has more wood than any Jaguar since the Mk II of the 1960s.

The idea was to simplify the layout of the instrument panel, where Jaguars were once famous for their clutter.

Says Callum: "The simpler the forms, the more you can enjoy the materials."

SOURCE: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...plate=printart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Ford Flex

Re: AuotNews:Callum: How Jag Made XF Back Seat Friendly

I saw an XF on the road yesterday, near a dealer. It was either very dark blue or black. I was very unimpressed with the exterior looks. It looked small, and the headlights look awkward. It almost looked like a styling exercise for a japanese midsized car. It lost a lot of character from the concept car. It did not look exclusive at all.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 07:46 PM

I saw one last saturday night on the road and considering the current models Jag has this is one great step forward

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

I have not seen one yet. It looks to me like an Infiniti with a Subaru Legacy grille, and a Volvo S80 back-side grafted on.

I think Ford must be relieved to have Jaguar off the books. This car will sell for a while, but it's not going to "save" the name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
auotnewscallum, back, friendly, jag, made, seat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page