Polestar 2 - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 02:40 PM
Ford Focus

Re: Polestar 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseman View Post
...not to mention skateboard BEVs have naturally low CG, really, regardless of top hat. I think the Mod3 has a CG of a Porsche GT3 without the low ground clearance.
And a tallish sedan/whatever would typically gain some of the height with decent ground clearance, helping keep your batteries away from some of the things you don't want to run over in a skateboard BEV.

I can't wait to watch the failure videos when IIHS decides it's time to test battery protection...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 03:43 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

I gotta say...as Volvos go, that's one nice looking Kia.
falcon lover likes this.

If GM can justify Buick, and if Honda can justify Acura, we can damned well have Mercury back.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:14 AM
Ford Mondeo

Garage

Quote:
...and it will only cost you $20k more for the interior. Tesla killed it with the new model releases yesterday. They have everyone covered from 220-240-264-310-325 miles including performance numbers. Polestar has a tough row to hoe.
I would gladly pay more for a nicer interior. Plus being essentially a Volvo it will have top notch fit and finish like every Volvo I've owned.
MKII likes this.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:46 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanatWork View Post
I gotta say...as Volvos go, that's one nice looking Kia.
Interesting that this comment would have worked for two decades ago. What with all of the ex-Mercedes and ex-BMW, etc., designers, engineers, & execs flying off to Korea, the designs of Kia cars and SUVs are no longer second class and are not to be dismissed.

This Volvo is clean and well-executed for a tall sedan despite its vestigial FWD proportions. I'm getting tired of all the creases, angles and reflections on vehicles these days.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:35 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
Interesting that this comment would have worked for two decades ago. What with all of the ex-Mercedes and ex-BMW, etc., designers, engineers, & execs flying off to Korea, the designs of Kia cars and SUVs are no longer second class and are not to be dismissed.

This Volvo is clean and well-executed for a tall sedan despite its vestigial FWD proportions. I'm getting tired of all the creases, angles and reflections on vehicles these days.
I'm pretty sure that the comment holds up just fine, as the Polestar's overall stance and execution remind me of recent Kias...and I never said that was a bad thing. I actually thought Kia got the better styling language while Hyundai tried for far too much surface chaos (even while critics fawned over the Elantra years back). I certainly find the Stinger to be "clean and well-exectuted", and feel similarly about this.

However, I am also stating that the overall impression made me think more of Kia than Volvo, and nothing has changed my mind.
glyphics likes this.

If GM can justify Buick, and if Honda can justify Acura, we can damned well have Mercury back.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Focus RS WRC

I love how Volvo's Polestar 2 tries to address all the shortcomings of a sedan, while still trying to be a sedan. It's slightly taller, has a large hatch opening, and upright styling for lots of interior room. + It's an EV.

I honestly think this is how Lincoln needs to go as well, if they want to inject some life back into the sedan. For those who prefer low and sporty, A four-door mustang based Lincoln would do for them.

Do you think Lincoln should compete with Polestar?
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:55 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Yes, and can win.

With the proliferation of EVs, low cars will die because the automakers need space for the batteries. The Polestar is an example, like the VW ID. But the "3 boxes profile" like the Polestar or the render you made , can survive on these high platforms.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:56 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMatt View Post
Quote:
...not to mention skateboard BEVs have naturally low CG, really, regardless of top hat. I think the Mod3 has a CG of a Porsche GT3 without the low ground clearance.
And a tallish sedan/whatever would typically gain some of the height with decent ground clearance, helping keep your batteries away from some of the things you don't want to run over in a skateboard BEV.

I can't wait to watch the failure videos when IIHS decides it's time to test battery protection...
...they would have to raise the test speed. By virtue of not having a giant engine out front, EVs have massive crumple zones. By the time you get to the pack, in an ICE vehicle the engine would be sitting in your lap.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 08:40 AM
Ford Flex

This reminds me of a Saab for some reason.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 05:51 PM
Ford Kuga

Remind me again as to the great success of not particularly appealing SUV / car designs along the lines of the Legacy SUS. The Model 3 will continue to lead this segment, and this design quite frankly is one reason why.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page