BMW Unveils the Concept 6-Series Coupe - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
The Spaminator

BMW Unveils the Concept 6-Series Coupe

BMW Unveils the Concept 6-Series Coupe

We’ve known for some time that BMW has been working on the next-generation 6 Series, so it doesn’t come as a big surprise that BMW is using the impending 2010 Paris auto show to outline what it's planning for the new 6 with its Concept 6 Series Coupe.

Honoring its coupe tradition, BMW took its current 6 Series and gave it a newly sculpted body. The 6 Series concept evokes the image of the Gran Coupe presented at the Beijing auto show earlier this year but with less two doors. It's a softer overall look than the current 6 Series but still emits a strong presence from front to back.

The headlights are the first from the Bavarian automaker to mate an all-LED setup with the familiar twin-round design. LEDs can be found everywhere illumination is desired, including the main lights, daytime running lights, foglights, and signal indicators. LED light strips, which continue to grow in popularity and application, are attached to the concept's front face. In addition to consuming less power, BMW is pleased to announce its Adaptive Headlight function will change the light spray depending on steering angle and vehicle speed. Drivers will only need to remember to look through the turn.

The 6 Series concept’s flanks feature four flowing lines to give the lengthy body substance, while unique 20-inch alloy wheels sport a one-off design. The Concept 6 Series Coupe's new presence stretches to the rear, where the L-shaped, LED taillights look similar to the 5 Series Gran Turismo. Like the front, the rear fascia gives off a hunkered-down look to round out the wide, low body package. Trapezoidal exhaust outlets are another appearance distinction.

Full text at this Link:

http://www.motortrend.com/future/con...#ixzz0zvp4OXo1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
The Spaminator

Re: BMW Unveils the Concept 6-Series Coupe

Not sure exactly what is concept about it, looks production ready to me.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 01:38 AM
Focus RS WRC

Very nice looking but I'll keep my Bangle 6er for now.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

I see this car as a Ford Thunderbird bad copy. Look at this, the 1998 Thunderbird. Same greenhouse, same "flat and low" look, but in the BMW too much lines and curves and some "Bangle" styling elements that make the car less elegant and simple than the Ford.

Give me the Thunderbird, please....

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to SobeSVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
I see this car as a Ford Thunderbird bad copy. Look at this, the 1998 Thunderbird. Same greenhouse, same "flat and low" look, but in the BMW too much lines and curves and some "Bangle" styling elements that make the car less elegant and simple than the Ford.

Give me the Thunderbird, please....
OK, I guess it was bound to happen one day but you are putting my Ford allegiance to the test . . . Falcon Lover, the MN12 T-Bird doesn't look anything like this 6 series concept. None of them is a bad looking car but there are 21 years of difference and also quite a few dollars in price, and it shows. That particular example of MN12 you chose in your picture, the one from the late 1990s is the worse looking IMHO, with that really fugly front end. I liked the original from 1989 much much better.

There is a resemblance with the 6 series, yes. After all the MN12 was modeled with the original 6-series 1976-1989 as a benchmark.

Now, this new series concept, which like Austin said, looks 100% production ready, simply carries on the BMW tradition of great looking coupes (which was challenged but the current 6-series rear end), basically is a full size version of a 3-series coupe and a gorgeous one at that. That's all . . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Ford Flex

Nice looking coupe...just a little too busy in the front. The wheels look terrible though.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Falcon Lover you mean 97 right?

97 was the last year for the T-Bird and Cougar

98 for the Mark VIII

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Ok, i agree with SobeSVT, this red Tbird is better than the last car from that generation. But the design proportions of the 2 cars are the same. I dont like actual BMWs. Too complicated style.too busy lines. And now, quality problems. Did you see the BMW and Rolls Royce recall? Could you imagine a brakes problems in a Rolls Royce that cause a "massive" cars recall??? That´s BMW fault......

I insist, give me that red Tbird! Keep your BMW, please

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 02:34 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
I see this car as a Ford Thunderbird bad copy...
all-just-imho
the 6-series 2-door is a MUSTANG-clone**...
...a cost-no-object/more-money-then-sense ripoff
&
per my Thunderbird/epitome-class as Aston Martin Rapide theory,
the 6er GranCoupé is a nextgen-Tbird ripoff

** it'll be real interesting to see how the LincStang does against it (not just the 3/4-series)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6series, bmw, concept, coupe, unveils

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page