Ford Inside News banner

Bronco pick up truck?!

7K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  wingsnut 
#1 ·
Is Ford preparing a Bronco pick up truck to figth the Jeep Gladiator? Is a logical decision. With the debut of the Jeep Gladiator, is clear the Ranger is not the vehicle to compete with it. The Gladiator is a "life style" vehicle, very far from the normal truck image of the Ranger, vehicle used to work or eventual use for go out of the city. The Gladiator is selling like hotcakes, at a very high price. Is a hit. Ford needs something in the same category. A Bronco pick up truck is the rigth truck for this.

This decision mean, too, that the Bronco will be a franchise, like the Land Rover Defender, with many models planned: 4-doors, 2-doors, Small model (Baby Bronco) and, now, a pick up truck. Yeah! :-(

the link: https://www.motortrend.com/news/watch-gladiator-theres-ford-bronco-pickup-truck-works/

Here a picture of a render taken from Automobile Magazine:

See less See more
#2 ·
I do like that rendering, but I would change a few things.

This does make sense. It is rumoured that Dodge/Ram will get a Dakota based on the Jeep Gladiator, and that it will have milder stylig.
Ranger-Dakota
Bronco Truck-Gladiator
Bronco-Wrangler

GM should consider making the GMC brand more of a Jeep competitor.

Reactions: falcon lover
#4 ·
I do like that rendering, but I would change a few things.

This does make sense. It is rumoured that Dodge/Ram will get a Dakota based on the Jeep Gladiator, and that it will have milder stylig.
Ranger-Dakota
Bronco Truck-Gladiator
Bronco-Wrangler

GM should consider making the GMC brand more of a Jeep competitor.

GMC is very confusing to me. Is a truck brand, but what kind of truck? A Denali kind of truck? Maybe a "Jeep" kind of truck brand , like you sugest, will be more in line with the customers tastes these days. Ford is going ahead with its own "Jeep" brand (Bronco). GM needs its own rugged brand, too.

#3 ·
I'm not quite sure I see the point though. Both the Bronco and Bronco truck would use the next gen Ranger platform so basically you would have 2 trucks about the same size, using the same platform and powertrains (more than likely), both Fords, and both competing in the same segment. If the Bronco had solid axles it would make more sense, but all the mules have had IRS just like the Ranger.

#5 ·
I see the point very clearly. Ford will produce in the future only trucks and SUVs/Crossovers (at least, for America). So, Ford needs variations of the theme for all sizes of their vehicles. The strategy is clear:

Escape/Baby Bronco
Aviator/Explorer
Ranger/Bronco pick up
Puma/EcoSport

#6 ·
If rumors are true, and it has an Explorer Sport Trac sized bed - I'm all for it! I own a 2008 Sport Trac and though the bed is small, its perfect for my lifestyle and needs...it also makes the truck not as long as the Gladiator. Build it Ford - and take my money! I'm ready for my Bronco Sport Trac.

#9 ·
Is not just for the name. The Bronco truck will be similar as the Gladiator: a life style vehicle, more rugged, offroad capable, more fun to drive, more atractive for young customers. The Ranger is a formal truck designed for work and eventually times out of the city. This truck make sense to me.

#12 ·
I think it makes sense as well. unlike the Ranger, the Bronco (Sport Trac) will have removable doors and top like the Gladiator. Also, sell for much higher transaction prices and more profit. The Ranger will most certainly out-sell the new Bronco Truck.

Looks like Ford will have a solid truck base...

Courier (I really hope they don't use that name), but like the concept - the most truck most Americans will ever need.
Ranger
Bronco (Sport Trac type pickup) - shorter bed than crewcab ranger
F150
Super Duty

#13 ·
Also, about IRS on a pickup truck. yes, it gets worse off-road articulation, tows less and has less payload. HOWEVER, in everyday driving, it is quite nice. I have a 2008 Sport Trac with Front and Rear IRS...

I use the truck mostly to help friends move, occasional Home Depot trips and for my mountain bike/camping. I simply don't need to haul a ton or tow a ton. I would rather have the smooth ride on a daily basis. here in las vegas, nearly all the pickups I see don't carry anything in the bed or hitch. Again, not saying everyone, but quite a few.

#22 ·
Here is the answer on why does Ford need 2 mid size trucks...

Basically, that is what the customer wants. They want trucks. Take a look at crossovers. Each manufacture had maybe 1 crossover in their line up in the early 2000's...now...look at just Ford's crossover lineup..

EcoSport
Escape
Bronco (Maverick)
Edge
Fusion/Outback competitor (*Possible future)
Flex
Explorer

Ford is going down the same path...only with pickup trucks. I think it's smart!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.